Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I currently own a 4inch gp100. I really love it, its my first and only revolver. It has become my favorite gun to take to the range. I understand that the MC is an upgraded gp100 that would also make a very good range gun. I guess my question is will there be sufficient difference between the two guns to justify buying the match champion to go along with my current gun. I also have read about changing the springs in my gun and polishing the internal parts. this would be a cheaper but its always fun to get a new gun. I have also considered picking up the new red hawk that fires 45acp and 45lc. I guess I'm just not sure at this point what to do.

Josh

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :cool:

Hold one and dry fire it. See if it's worth it. It has some desirable differences from your 4".

If not, check out other GP variations... 3", 5", 6", 3" Wiley Clapp, etc.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum! :cool:

Hold one and dry fire it. See if it's worth it. It has some desirable differences from your 4".

If not, check out other GP variations... 3", 5", 6", 3" Wiley Clapp, etc.
I was able to briefly look at a fixed sight version the other day. I really liked the way it fit my hand and the way it looked. the single action pull was very nice. in double action it made a strange sound like i could hear a spring being pulled. not sure what it was. I would get the adjustable sight version, so that was not the gun for me. but overall it felt really nice. I had thought about a wiley clapp version. I actually have a clapp 1911 that i love. The mc appeals to me more based on the idea that the internal changes to the gun will deliver an enhanced shooting experience, not sure that it would but thats what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I personally wouldn't buy a MC for three reasons.
1- I'm not a competition shooter.
2- I think they're ugly.
3- The ugly costs extra.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I personally wouldn't buy a MC for three reasons.
1- I'm not a competition shooter.
2- I think they're ugly.
3- The ugly costs extra.
you sound like my wife with #2-3. I showed it to her over the weekend, did not get lots of love from her on the gun.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
The internal modifications on the MC are pretty minor and easily done yourself or by paying a very modest fee to a good local gunsmith. If you like the grip on the MC you buy that from Ruger. The rest may not matter too much unless you can't live without the target crown, the Novak front sight or just really dig slab sided partial underlug barrels.

If I were you I would save my money and upgrade the 4" you already have. But you're not me and you may see things very differently. The MC is a nice gun but I think you already have a pretty nice gun too.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,406 Posts
Welcome from Nor-Cal! Buy what you want, not what we think is good for you ;)

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,191 Posts
Hi and welcome.

Of course, buy whatever you want. You know the worst case with a gun like that is you decide it doesn't suit you, and you sell it for a small loss. Heck, you can sometimes even turn a profit on limited production guns.

That said, my personal opinion is the same as some of the others here.... I think it's an ugly gun. If I already had a full size .357 I would diversify.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi and welcome.

Of course, buy whatever you want. You know the worst case with a gun like that is you decide it doesn't suit you, and you sell it for a small loss. Heck, you can sometimes even turn a profit on limited production guns.

That said, my personal opinion is the same as some of the others here.... I think it's an ugly gun. If I already had a full size .357 I would diversify.
I agree with the idea of diversifying. I think I will look more into the red hawk, plus it looks really nice.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I traded a GP100 6 inch barrel for the 4 inch Match Champion with fixed sights. At the time the adjustable sights were not available. Six months later I traded the fixed sights version for one with adjustable sights.
Having shot both, I preferred the adjustable sights. The fix sight version is hard to get it to hit what you aim at. I reload and that adds an additional variable.
Some other comments indicated they felt the MC is ugly. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
When I bought the GP100, I was just interested in hitting the bullseye. That was 1990. Today I'm more interested in self protection and concealed carry. I didn't think the 2 inch difference would be a big deal. When it comes to concealed carry the 2 inch difference is a big deal.
I find I'm still able to hit bullseye out to 25 yards.
The MC has a much better trigger and I find the 4 inch barrel is better balanced in my hands.
Could a good gunsmith make a GP100 trigger like the MC, yes. Do I want to go through the process of waiting and hoping the ends results will be satisfactory, maybe not.
End the end, I guess you pays your money and make your choice. Whatever you choose, I wish you good luck and happy shooting.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
There are things I like about the Match Champion, and things that I don't. I liked the subtle contouring of the frame, and kind of liked the grips. I don't care for the half-lug barrel, prefer the heft and balance of the full-lug. I think that some minor gunsmithing on a standard model's action will equal or surpass that of the stock Match Champion. Having said that, being such a fan of the GP100 myself, I would be hard pressed in trying to discourage someone from buying another one.:D

·
Registered
111 Posts
The look of the MC is what prompted me to get my permit. Had it since May and still love it. I was surprised on how gentle 158 gr. 357 are with the wood grip.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
you came to the wrong place to get talked out of buying a new gun.

But, also think of how much ammo/range time you could have if you took that money and just bought target ammo.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just bought a Match Champion and love it, I put a set of Altamonts on it.The original grips are fine but I prefer the feel and look of these.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so if I was to just do some work to my current gun to get the action up to the level of the MC what would be the best way to go about doing this?

thanks

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
so if I was to just do some work to my current gun to get the action up to the level of the MC what would be the best way to go about doing this?

thanks
You can educate yourself and do it on your own or pay a good gunsmith a modest fee and he'll do it for you. In all honesty you can end up with a better action job than a factory MC this way if that's the primary thing you're after.

The MC has some moderate action work and shims on the hammer and trigger to center both and improve function by reducing drag. I've only fooled with one MC example but I know I have better actions in my little stable of GP100s. Besides which you can decide just what you like. It's not a one-size-fits all deal.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hello

my question is will there be sufficient difference between the two guns to justify buying the match champion to go along with my current gun.

Josh
The answer is yes! I own both the regular GP100 4" and the match champion. (also own a smith 686+) You won't regret buying the match champion.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts