Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help With Possible Mark III Purchase?

I've never been a big .22 fan because I don't get much range time (I don't even own a .22 pistol), but I stopped by a local pawn shop today and they have one that really cought my eye. It's a 60th Anniv. Mark III Target model. It's all polished stainless, with 60th Anniv. wood grips, heavy bull barrel, a Tagua fitted leather holster, but only one mag. The shop owner's a friend of mine and said he would sell to me for $355.00 OTD, including tax & the BGC fee. Since I've never owned any of the Mark series pistols, I'm not up to date on pricing them. Is this one a deal? How are the triggers of these? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
That is a Talo special. If it is in excellent condition, I would probably pick it up. I have the MKIII Target model in "blued" which is essentially the same gun without the nice grip panels, etc. The triggers are excellent out of the box, but they can be improved to almost perfect with little expense.
It is a nice looking gun. The magazines are not that expensive and I believe that they are readily available (unlike the 22/45) mags.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Magazines are indeed readily available. I own a Mark I that I bought new in 1976. Nice, accurate pistols. You just have to learn how to do the somewhat tedious takedown and re-assembly to do a major cleaning.

·
Registered
947 Posts
When you look at the price tax and DROS transfer fees were included in the final amount, which in reality put the price right around $275 - $300.

The bottom line are you happy with it?

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I'd say that for your first 22 pistol, that's a great choice. Price is certainly fair, no steal, but fair.

Triggers on Mark IIIs are generally at least usable, but as others have mentioned, uprgrading and modding the trigger is commonly done, if need be.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a Ruger Mark III Target and it is really fun to shoot. The trigger on my Mk. III has a wonderful glass-like break. It is absolutely safe and the reset is almost instantaneous. In addition to being really well crafted, it is cheap to shoot. I spend just a bit more and only run CCI mini-mag .22LR in mine.

If you have a use for it, I would recommend getting it. It is a fine pistol.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I asked the seller to send me a couple of pictures of it. Is this what you guys are calling a Talo model?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you look at the price tax and DROS transfer fees were included in the final amount, which in reality put the price right around $275 - $300.

The bottom line are you happy with it?

R,
Bullseye
I haven't bought it yet (& may not). I'm getting mixed messages. Some guys say it's a good deal while others are saying it's way overpriced. I may just pass on it and get something else down the road. :confused:

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I haven't bought it yet (& may not). I'm getting mixed messages. Some guys say it's a good deal while others are saying it's way overpriced. I may just pass on it and get something else down the road. :confused:
It is definitely not WAY overpriced, in fact probably a fair price. In your first post you said it was stainless, but the photos don't show up as stainless as I see it. It could just be the lighting.
Yes, TALO models, often called distributor exclusives were special order runs that Ruger made for some gun distributors and are often quite unique.
I have a TALO MKIII 22/45 Slabside.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Here is a photo of the 60th Anniversary in stainless. I found the picture on Ky guns

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am not an expert but when I bought my new Ruger Mark III Target Stainless pistol two months ago, the MSRP was $559.00 and my price was $430 plus tax, making the OTD price $465.

If the gun is in good shape, the price seems reasonable. Only you can decide if it is reasonable to you. Would you rather have a used commemorative edition or a brand new pistol for a little more money? If you are unsure and wavering, I would hold off. You may miss out on the commemorative edition but there are lots of new ones still available in the marketplace.

Let us know what you finally decide.

Good Luck and Happy Shooting!

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree - that is a bit much for a blued gun. I thought you were referring to a stainless. I'd still recommend a Mark III as a great choice, though, in any configuration as a first 22 pistol.
It is stainless. It just looks dark in the photos the seller sent me. It's 100% identical to the one in posts #13 & #14. :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
You are getting mixed messages on pricing because prices have skyrocketed the past few years. back two years ago $300 was the going rate now they go between $450 and $500 by me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts