Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

What do you think. Should I go SP-101 4.2" barrel in .22LR over the Single Six .22/.22WMR stainless 5.5" barrel.

Lets say this will be my only revolver. I have a 1858 BP Single action revolver with 8" barrel.

I like the DA revolver looks more than the SA revolver. This would be mainly a hunting (close range) and range gun.

Is the difference of .22LR Stingers and .22WMR ammo big one from a short barrel?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Hey,

What do you think. Should I go SP-101 4.2" barrel in .22LR over the Single Six .22/.22WMR stainless 5.5" barrel.

Lets say this will be my only revolver. I have a 1858 BP Single action revolver with 8" barrel.

I like the DA revolver looks more than the SA revolver. This would be mainly a hunting (close range) and range gun.

Is the difference of .22LR Stingers and .22WMR ammo big one from a short barrel?
Single Ten maybe?

I have the SP101 in 357, 327, and 32 H&R but it doesn't strike me as a gun I would prefer in 22. I am especially attached to my Single Seven, so would favor the 22LR version. I shoot all single action anyway.

Keep in mind that the carry mode is likely to be quite different, since the SP101 holsters will be inclined to be high and tight, while the Single holsters will mostly be low and western style.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Based on your intended use I would go with the Single Six .22/.22WMR stainless 5.5" barrel. And, yes, I believe there is a significant increase in power with 22WMR.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I also have both guns and love both.

Based on accuracy, trigger pull out of the box and versatility, my vote is the Single Six.

We have a half dozen Single Sixes. All average smaller groups at 25 yards and some shoot much smaller groups, than our SP101. Not that our SP is a slouch in the accuracy department, but we do have a couple of Single Sixes that get right down there to that magical match grade, 1" groups or less at 25 yards. They compete very nicely with our Mark Target pistols.

Out of the box, Single Sixes usually have nicer triggers and it's easy to get them even lighter by lifting one leg of the trigger return spring. Our recently acquired SP has a very decent trigger in SA and DA and, with some work, could even be better, but it will never get down to what we now have in all our Single Sixes. Also, be warned that SP101s in 22 LR vary widely in their triggers, though the new ones do seem to be better.

With the extra 22 mag cylinder, you get tremendous versatility with the Single Six, all the more so with the better choices we now have in 22 mag ammo loads.

The track record for reliability in a 22 LR revolver is unmatched by the Single Six. The track record for the SP101 in 22 LR has been less than stellar, but, again, our new one has been excellent. No problems.

One last thing. Should you ever want to mount a red dot or a scope on your revolver, there are aftermarket scope mounts for the Single Six or you can even go with a Single Six Hunter. At this time, I know of no scope mounts for the SP.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Ok many opinions here but what matters is what action do you prefer?? If you want more versatility then get the Ruger Single Six with both .22&.22mag cylinders if you just want to shoot .22LR then either gun you mention will work. Ruger does not make a SP101 in .22magnum! Good Luck to you in your decision!!!

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
The 22lr - even stingers - won't come close to a 22WMR in terms of sheer horsepower. However, what will you be hunting and at what ranges? For most folks, if you can kill it with a 22WMR, you can equally kill it with a 22LR. If you're reaching out 75-100yrds, or trying to kill coyotes, then the spread between LR and WMR becomes more prevalent, but for killing bunnies at 25-50yrds, either is fine.

I have Single Six convertibles and a 22lr SP101, as well as Mark I/II/III pistols. For many years, my single six's have sat in the safe while a Mark II usually ends up on my hip when I'm hunting or trailing. Since I picked up the SP101 22lr, it has gotten the nod when it comes to small gaming.

If they made a full rail SP101 "Hunter" with scope mounts and a 6.5" barrel, I'd be all in on on of those too.

I'm planning to pick up another SP101 22lr and add a Jpoint sight mount and a Burris FastFire III to use as my primary small game hunting handgun.

Nothing against the Single Six, but I favor the SP101 or the Mark III pistol heavily over the Single Six.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have both. Prefer shooting the SP101. Maybe I'm lazy, but it's a lot easier/faster to load the swing out cylinder. Especially with the Speed Beez loader.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Since we carry most of the time and high and tight is the preferred way we carry we have an SP101 in 22 and one in 38/357 and and a GP100 in 38/357 with 4 inch barrels.

The 22WMR definitely has more power than a 22LR.

RC

·
Ironhat
287 Posts
If I understand you correctly, you already have a single-action BP(?) why not get the double action? That said, you indicated that you prefer the looks of the SP over the S-Six. On the other hand, as one person here said, I only shoot in single action mode, even if the gun is capable of double-action but, your best accuracy will be in single-action. Let us know what you decide on and happy shopping!!:D

·
Registered
851 Posts
I also have a 4.2" SP101 in .22LR as well as a 5.5" Single Six.

The Single Six is more accurate, and the trigger is much better out of the box. I also had issues with my first SP101 spitting lead, and leading to the point where accuracy was horrible (key holing bullets) after about 30 rounds.

Ruger eventually replaced it when they decided it was not readily repairable. The second one has been ok, but even without the timing and leading issues, it is still not nearly as accurate as my Single Six. It's one of the few handguns I own that I regret getting if I had to do it over again, I'd get a Model 617.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah the gun laws are prettty strict here. Said that, I have a permit to buy only one rimfire .22 revolver. Cant buy a pistol with this permit. I had to also apply permit to get a .22WMR cylinder. So thats why single six is in play.

Yes I have a single action bp revolver. It's mainly the .22 mag cylinder that keeps me interested in single six.

I read a few articles that rant the sp for having an incredibly heavy trigger.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
The single action trigger on an SP101 won't be overly heavy. It'll be heavier than a Single Six trigger at first, but $12 for a spring kit will bring the SP101 trigger down below what most folks consider to be a safe hunting trigger weight. Don't let online complainers deter you away from a good revolver - all Ruger's tend to have a heavy trigger out of the box, throw in some springs and a little elbow grease, and the Sp101 will get down under 3lbs without much effort.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Yeah the gun laws are prettty strict here. Said that, I have a permit to buy only one rimfire .22 revolver. Cant buy a pistol with this permit. I had to also apply permit to get a .22WMR cylinder. So thats why single six is in play.

Yes I have a single action bp revolver. It's mainly the .22 mag cylinder that keeps me interested in single six.

If I could have only one 22 revolver. It would be the Single Six because of the extra cylinder and ability to shoot two types of ammo, especially now days with the rim fire 22 ammo shortages.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
all Ruger's tend to have a heavy trigger out of the box, throw in some springs and a little elbow grease, and the Sp101 will get down under 3lbs without much effort.
Thats true. My 10/22 in my opinion had too heavy trigger. I changed few springs and it was better. Still maybe too heavy, but it gives me below .75" 10 shot groups.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I can say this my S&W Model 17, has been & still is a exceptional revolver, I would still like to have a SP101 in .22LR MY current SP101 in .38 Special I really like alot also, to the point of wanting a SP101 in .327 FM but wow it seekers you have some very strict gun laws so you need to pick just one revolver!! Again back to either SA/DA might want to reconsider a S&W Model 617!!!

·
Ruger Connesewer ;)
443 Posts
72rta - only one small-bore revolver sounds like you have a jagdschein in Germany. Hopefully you can get a WBK soon if you are in DE. I have both the SP-101 and a Single-Six (like many posters here). I like the SP-101 but the Single-Six is a lot more versatile. I would recommend a stainless SS if you are able to find one - it weighs more but is much more rust resistant (rostfrei?) in case you get it wet while hunting...

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I would go with the single six.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
I have both revolvers (an older 4" SP101 in .22lr and a 6.5" Single-Six with both cylinders) and in my opinion, if I had to have just one, I would choose the SP101 in .22lr. While I like shooting the Single-Six, I prefer shooting .22wmr in it over the .22lr...just my $0.02 worth!

·
Registered
534 Posts
My only .22 rimfire revolver is a 617 smith and Wesson. but did have a Single six(2 cylinders) w/ 6.5 barrel for more then thirty years.
Went sold the Single six and still kicking myself for doing such a dumb thing??:mad:
If it were me I'd go with the Two cylinder Single six, really nice gun and the 5.5 barrel would be allot better for hunting!:cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts