Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking of modifying my10/22. It looks like a great way to go and a fun and rewarding project but it really adds up quickly:

desired 10/22 mods:
Kidd Barrel KIDD .22LR Lightweight Fluted Aluminum Sleeved Rifle Bull Barrel 269
boyd stock 157
Kidd extractor 12
Guide Rod and spring set. 14
Bolt Buffer 6
total without trigger kit =458

Kidd “trigger job kit” 115
GRAND Total =573

I am starting to wonder if the Ruger precision rimfire would not be a better solution. I would save a hundred bucks and end up with two rifles.
I'm sure some folks here have both, how do they compare?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
That all depends on what you actually wanting but one is semi auto and other is bolt. You will spend more upgrading your 10/22 and still shoot more ammo quickly but it will sweet shooter. If wanting an accurate target rifle there are much better bolts in the market but none are Rugers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That all depends on what you actually wanting but one is semi auto and other is bolt. You will spend more upgrading your 10/22 and still shoot more ammo quickly but it will sweet shooter. If wanting an accurate target rifle there are much better bolts in the market but none are Rugers.
Better bolt guns ? CZs I assume? Any others? I'm not really interested in speed, my range does not allow it anyway.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Better bolt guns ? CZs I assume? Any others? I'm not really interested in speed, my range does not allow it anyway.
CZ is one but if money is not an issue then it opens up many that approachable. Tika makes an excellent rimfire without breaking the bank and you go with Vudoo or Bergara B 14.
i really do like the Ruger LRT 8378 but not timeline to get them out. Not sure if they will compete with the others though.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I just purchased a Ruger Precision Rimfire. I got a good price at my local Cabela's. Given the ammo situation, I am inclined to shoot .22LR. I could have used a 10/22, but I wanted to try a precision bolt gun. I thought about CZ and Tikka, but the use of 10/22 magazines, which I have and are readily available, and the favorable price, caused me to decide on Ruger. I'll be interested in what others have to say here.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I’m building a 10/22 from the ground up. I’m using Volquartsen parts, a bull barrel and a custom stock. Hopefully, I’ll get around to it soon. It’s going to be my squirrel gun. You have to make a decision if you want a bolt action or semi auto.

·
Registered
Mk II, Wrangler, LCPII .22 LR, EC9S, Security 9, P-85, RAR .17 HMR + .22 LR, + 10/22 Sporter
1,661 Posts
IMO, you already got it figured out!
I've been thinking of modifying my10/22. It looks like a great way to go and a fun and rewarding project but it really adds up quickly:

desired 10/22 mods:
Kidd Barrel KIDD .22LR Lightweight Fluted Aluminum Sleeved Rifle Bull Barrel 269
boyd stock 157
Kidd extractor 12
Guide Rod and spring set. 14
Bolt Buffer 6
total without trigger kit =458

Kidd “trigger job kit” 115
GRAND Total =573

I am starting to wonder if the Ruger precision rimfire would not be a better solution. I would save a hundred bucks and end up with two rifles.
I'm sure some folks here have both, how do they compare?
I think you already got it nailed! If you're lookin for a precision rifle, I'd buy the RPR. If you're lookin for a project rifle, I'd go with the 10/22. Which, BTW, is probably the only thing on the planet that has more accessories available than a Harley Davidson.

·
Registered
360 Posts
So coming from someone who owns both, I'd start with the 10/22. I love my Ruger precision rimfire but I definitely have way more fun with my 10/22 and I think with the mods you described, it would shoot just as good as the RPR. With that being said, you should definitely own both at some point. the RPR is a great rifle.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
My favorite 22 is my Marlin 39A if that makes any difference then the Browning BL 22 is next then it's my 77/22. All fine rifles.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Had a 10/22, have the target one now. All good. Can go to accuracy with the precision rifle and stay Ruger. Savage and several others makes very good bolt actions.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,226 Posts
If you are going for accuracy, I'd recommend the Ruger Precision Rimfire. If you are going for the "cool factor" and braggin' rights, a 10/22 loaded with a bunch of aftermarket parts is just the ticket.

Reactions: mauser9

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for your input. While the 10/22 can be a nice project, I don't care so much about the cool factor or bragging rights. I'm going to look around for a RPR. or mabe a CZ 457.
Plus I am considering going to rimfire challenge matches and I could keep the stock 10/22 for this purpose.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Look at the Tikka T1x. It outshoots the CZ 455 and 457, Savages and others and it right at $500 or so. The only upgrade I did to the ones my friend and I got was add a Tikka T3 Butt Pad for the added LOP and the grip on the shoulder. I became a believer when 5 other shooters at the local range went with them over their other guns for the 22 matches being shot here recently since centerfire ammo has gone expensive or nearly extinct.

The top is a 5 round group at 50 yards with Federal Bulk Pack. The bottom is a 50 round group at 100 yards with the same ammo using a 3-9x40 scope and a slight crosswind. I am so pleased with it. The trigger is adjustable and the magazine holds 10 rounds. I have even got over the ugly magazine because the gun shoots so well. My friends has a better trigger than mine and we put a 6-24x50 Vortex on it.

doing this is not hard with that one.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I would highly recommend the Kidd "Trigger Job Kit " I installed it in my Charger and it is a huge difference from the stock trigger.
I have a friend that installed a Feddersen tapered barrel that fits in the original 10/22 Ruger stock. With a good trigger upgrade and minimal bolt polishing it is an amazing gun. Sleeper status fun.

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
It would be an RPR for me........

1 - 20 of 36 Posts