Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I shoot it once or twice a month. Should I oil it after cleaning? And why?

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Once or twice a month? I would. Stainless steel does not mean rustproof - stainless can rust and corrode. Besides, how much time and effort does it take to clean and then run a lightly oiled patch down the bore and chambers?

·
Super Moderator
21,873 Posts
I like a light coat of oil in the BBL and chambers once the firearm is completely clean. The externals I will wipe off, after I clean, with a silicon cloth or put a light coat of oil on it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like a light coat of oil in the BBL and chambers once the firearm is completely clean. The externals I will wipe off, after I clean, with a silicon cloth or put a light coat of oil on it.
Do I need to apply some cleaning liquid on the external before using the silicon cloth. If yes, what should I use?

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
To remove residue and powder on the outside of the gun after a range session, I just use a cloth with some Hoppe's #9, since I always have some on hand, followed by a wipedown with a lightly oiled cloth. There are other cleaning compounds, such as CLP when you need to do some heavy duty cleaning, but a little Hoppe's takes care of things most of the time.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I've been dogging it a bit since my son just took me shooting. We shot my Alaskan, model 60, NAA 22mag, and my wife's Lady Smith. A lot of guns and a lot of fun, but my health cost me one day for my son's visit and I was just fried the very next day with no strength or get up and go. It's now been a few days and I do plan on getting to it soon, but???? (I've gotten a little slow in that department since my days of black powder SASS shooting).

When I do clean them I will "Clean Them" with some number 9 and then a brake cleaner flush followed up with a thorough dousing of gun oil. Each and every time. I treat my stainless like it's steel in the white and as you know that material exists due to its coat of oil. Now if you have a blued gun, just think how little bluing you have left inside the barrel around the lands and grooves? Absolutely nothing, Ie. you're dealing with steel in the white. Smithy.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
All guns need some, but "least is best".
I put a small drop on a cotton bud (think you guys call them q tips) and wipe that along the rails.
That's pretty much all that's needed.
The barrell, nothing unless I'm not shooting it in a while.
See post #12 (especially last paragraph and sentence).

http://rugerforum.net/maintenance/37074-lube-slide-rails.html

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
I lightly oil my gun after every cleaning and I clean it after every range trip.
Yup...just a quick wipe through with a lightly oiled cleaning swab...just enought to give it a quick light coating!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts