Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a ruger MkIII hunter . No problems with accuracy or shooting. Thinking of crowning the muzzle/barrell. would this ruin the accuracy in any way or would it be better

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
If the job is done properly, by someone who knows what they are doing and has the proper tools, it MIGHT improve accuracy, it surely will not hurt accuracy.

If done improperly, by someone who doesn't know what they are doing and don't have the right tools ...it will shoot worse.

Does something look wrong with the factory crown ?
You could always send it to Clark Custom Guns for a re-crown and while they have it get them to do a trigger job.

The reason I say that is I have a MKII they did a target trigger job on and installed a Millet Red Dot sight and that trigger is a magical thing. I can put that red dot on a target and just by wishing , the shot hits the target dead center. I can not shoot any other gun I own that well. Including a S&W model 41 which is supposed to the best target 22, the model 41 is jealous...it wishes it had a trigger that sweet. The 41 stays at home now.
Gary

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Don't fix it if it isn't broken. A re-crown would be down at the bottom of my list of upgrades to a Mark unless you're trying to fix a damaged crown.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
As others have said, if you are getting decent accuracy why mess with it.
But I do agree with gwpercle. If a re-crown is properly done, it will not harm anything, and will very well improve accuracy. I can't speak for the Ruger .22's, but most of the Mini-14's and Mini-30's I've owned or worked on for friends had a really minimal crown, and several were poorly done. A few seconds with my Brownell's tool and the proper caliber pilot and they were much better, and saw some improvement in accuracy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts