Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Bushmaster Carbon-15 last summer to see what the platform was like and to have some fun with it. This is not an expensive AR-15 - usually sold for around $650 at Dick's, Bass Pro, etc. I have some goodies on it (of course - that's part of the fun) including a cheap optic, picatinny rails, 8 or 10 30-round mags (some un-opened) and a Blackhawk! tactical case. I have shot it twice. Fact is I'm more of a revolver guy so I don't have much emotion invested in it.

I checked GunBroker and there is a new Carbon-15 with a current high bid of $1525 and still 1 day + left in the auction. That has me thinking.....should I jump in the feeding frenzy and bundle up all my AR-15 stuff in a package and sell it? I have about a grand tied up in it at this point...... Seems I could get all my money back out easy enough, maybe even make a few bucks too.

Would I regret it later? May be a one way door...sell it now and I might never get a chance at another for what I paid (or maybe ever through legal means.)

What do you guys and gals think? Looking for opinions - keep it or take the money and run......?

Wave

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
If you have other AR15s, then selling it would definitely put some coin in your pocket. If this is your only one, my advice would be to keep it....unless you NEED the money.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
If you want/need an AR for any reason and enjoy shooting one, I would certainly not let it go. You may never get another if this crisis results in a complete ban of military looking weapons and not just an AWB as before.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is my only AR15 but since it usually doesn't make the trip to the range I suppose I don't enjoy shooting it as much as my other rifles and handguns. It's not that I dislike it but more of an ambivalent feeling - fun once in a while but more interested in other things gun-wise. I don't need the money - the money would end up back in other guns I'm sure. But I'm speculating on two possible future outcomes - that the frenzy dies down and prices return back closer to normal levels or an outright ban goes into effect that includes no sale of existing guns like this to other individuals, in which case my window of opportunity to recover my investment is lost. I do think this is some type of short-term bubble and not likely the dawn of a new age of sustained "stupid prices".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sell it. You said you would use the money to buy some other gun you might enjoy more. Why deprive yourself? Why risk waiting just to maximize the return? (you play the stock market?) It doesn’t sound like you bought it for an investment anyway and just wanted to see what the MSR/AR craze was all about. Consider yourself lucky to have the opportunity to make some money especially when you realize it will probably be sold to some idiot that knows nothing about guns and will pay a ridiculous price to own one. Your two scenarios seem like the only possibilities; prices dropping when things go back to normal or the outright ban and then you are stuck with a gun you don’t really enjoy shooting. I wonder when we will see the first news story of an accidental shooting from these nuts that are running out and buying anything they can with not a clue of how to operate one. You didn’t seem to have a logical or emotional reason to keep it so take the money and run! (Oh, and you would probably make more money selling the magazines separate from the gun.)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Right now your AR is probably selling for about what you payed last summer. If you wait a few weeks you'll be able to double your money. After that you might have to give it away if are current government has it's way.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If it goes into ban, it will go up and you will be W/O if you only have one.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Yep..... sell it to me.
Nope..... hang on..... that right, they're not legal in AU. :confused:

·
Registered
719 Posts
right now your ar is probably selling for about what you payed last summer. If you wait a few weeks you'll be able to double your money. After that you might have to give it away if are current government has it's way.
exactly ! ! !

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was on the fence for a few weeks but decided to let it all go. Sold it today for $2100 and had less than a grand in it. I think I could have parted it out and made a bit more but I sold it to someone I know so I kept my greed in check. No regrets. Still have plenty of other guns that I enjoy more and now I have room for another one in the safe.

I guess I'm just not a tactical kinda guy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
to make money, if you need it or not, i'd sell it for that price, $2100 is a nice chunk of change.

why sell? because, there's no way this "AWB" is happening. its just not. i'd just about bet my life on it

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
to make money, if you need it or not, i'd sell it for that price, $2100 is a nice chunk of change.

why sell? because, there's no way this "AWB" is happening. its just not. i'd just about bet my life on it
That was the way I was leaning too and if correct then I can always replace the gun down the road for a lot less. If I can't then I can live with that too. I don't generally flip guns but it was just too good an opportunity to pass on.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
NEVER sell guns.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
That was the way I was leaning too and if correct then I can always replace the gun down the road for a lot less. If I can't then I can live with that too. I don't generally flip guns but it was just too good an opportunity to pass on.
Sound decision Wave. ;)

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I think I would have done the same thing. As you say you have two possible outcomes;

The AWB doesn't happen (looks like it has a slim chance at this time) and prices come back down, or it does happen and you might have a white elephant (so to speak) that you would be afraid to take out of the house in the fear that some nosey neighbor sees it and rats you out to the BATFE party poopers.

$2100 is a nice return on investment for something you obviously weren't dead set on keeping.

·
Registered
342 Posts
people keep forgetting this....if the guns banned...the guns dont delete and poof into thin air. people will still have them and they will still be available....ftf.

if youre not using it, sell it and pocket some coin.
i sold all mine the last ban frenzy. glad i did.
its just less junk around the house not being used.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts