Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Lipsey's Single Seven Special, Ruger Model 8165. This is the one with the alloy frame. I've put several hundred rounds through so far, both commercial of all five caliber formats and my .327 reloads. My reloads have all been close to starting loads, but I've loaded lots of different powders and bullet weights. I've also fired Buffalo Bore 130 gr .32 H&R Magnum.

Now, I can only open the loading gate with great difficulty. I also have trouble removing the cylinder pin. These problems did not appear until recently. I fear something isn't kosher and there might be damage.

Can anyone suggest something for me to check or should I just send it in for warranty work? Will Ruger honor a Lipsey's special and will they have replacement parts that will match the gun?

Also, I replaced the front sight with a Fermin Garza sight (an absolutely excellent upgrade!) Will I need to re-install the XS front sight, or will Ruger not mind the change?

Thanks for any advice! I do love this gun!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I hope you receive a proper answer from a forum member. I am not a wheel gun guy, but I have 40 years experience with a variety of handguns. I have no gunsmith skills. When my gun(s) need attention I send them to the manufacturer. I did once try fix a gun problem. I ended up sending the gun tot he maker, who charged me for the repair. Had I not screwed it up,worse it would have been no charge. So when you get good advice here be sure that you are capable of doing what is suggested. Hoping that you find an easy solution to,your gun’s problem.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,844 Posts
Lipseys is just a distributor - your gun was assembled by Ruger and is every bit a Ruger through and through so no worries about the Lipseys association.

As was already mentioned you should contact Ruger customer service and discuss your issues with them. They’ll probably have you send it in so they can take a look at it and go from there.

Your frame is blued carbon steel and is an alloy but all steels are an alloy of some kind. Don’t let the word alloy throw you. If you can swap the front sight back to the factory sight I would do that before sending it in. If they decide to replace your gun you’re not likely to get any aftermarket parts back.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Lipseys is just a distributor - your gun was assembled by Ruger and is every bit a Ruger through and through so no worries about the Lipseys association.

As was already mentioned you should contact Ruger customer service and discuss your issues with them. They’ll probably have you send it in so they can take a look at it and go from there.

Your frame is blued carbon steel and is an alloy but all steels are an alloy of some kind. Don’t let the word alloy throw you. If you can swap the front sight back to the factory sight I would do that before sending it in. If they decide to replace your gun you’re not likely to get any aftermarket parts back.
What he said...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, everyone, for your replies. I'll call Ruger Customer Service on Monday.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts