Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I'm debating if its time to add a 9mm to my line up. Right now I own a SR-40 & LCP w Laser Max package from Ruger. The 380 is my pocket carry gun and at 7yds. it shoots very tight groups and its reliability is awesome! But... After watching some You Tube vid's I think I'm under gunned in terms of stopping power, this has led me to consider a sub compact 9mm. Due to the low cost of 9mm ammo it seems to makes sense to consider it as a choice for everyday carryMy shooting buddy has a Kel Tec PF-9 and I've had a chance to shoot it and the recoil made it a real handful. So is there a sub compact 9 you can steer me towards that is accurate & reliable or should I trust the LCP will have the stopping power at close range, and save myself the headaches? I have every confidence in my SR-40 but its just to big to pocket carry, so its either the LCP or upgrade to the 9mm....HELP! :confused:

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Everyone should have at least one 9mm in their stable (I have three).
SR9c.

·
Banned
4,564 Posts
I IWB my SR40 all day, everyday with Crossbred Supertuck. Taurus has the Slim Series on 9 and .40 that might work. A pocket size in even 9mm is gonna snap big time.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Well, I don't like a .380 no matter what kind of gun is shootin' it, so you know my answer. You can practice with 9mm a lot cheaper too. With a .380, I feel like you're paying more for less.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I have nines in small, medium, and large. They are an adequate caliber and probably the most inexpensive center fire to shoot. For concealibility, weight (21oz loaded) and capacity (10+1) I carry my Kel Tec P11. The price is good too and they are made in Cocoa, Florida USA.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the quick response guys, Guardjim after seeing all the issues Kel Tec has had with the PF-9 is the PF-11 really different?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I did see the LCR but I'm just not that impressed with the performance. For me if I do step up the 9mm IMO will offer more firepower & better stopping power. And not that its a game changer but their is the cost factor on both weapon & ammo when looking at it.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Thanks for the quick response guys, Guardjim after seeing all the issues Kel Tec has had with the PF-9 is the PF-11 really different?
I had the same fears and I don't like autos in general, but I have to admit my P11 has fed nearly everything I've put through it. I say nearly because I had a few FTF's in the beginning but after about 500 rounds I can mix different bullet weights and types in the same magazine and it performs well with everyhing. HP, FMJ facatory brands and reloads.
That said I still prefer my SP101 but that wasn't the question.

·
Banned
4,564 Posts
+p .38 will do just as good as a 9mm plus carry a heavier bullet in a light wheelgun.jmho
9mm=.355, .38=.357 one down bad guy don't care. The old 158gr FBI load has proved it's worth. You can throw cost into it all ya want but you are gonna pay more for the +P 9 stuff.

·
Administrator
23,035 Posts
Well I did see the LCR but I'm just not that impressed with the performance. For me if I do step up the 9mm IMO will offer more firepower & better stopping power. And not that its a game changer but their is the cost factor on both weapon & ammo when looking at it.
Buffalo Bore 158gr LSWC/HP-GC's chrony at 1,017 FPS out of my 38 Spl LCR. That transulated to 362 ft/lbs of energy and a momentum factor of 22. That's actual not whats written on the box. I doubt that many 9MM's can deliver those kinds of actual numbers and still fit in the pocket.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I've had one of each. Neither were reliable. YMMV, but I recommend giving Kel tec a miss.

The M&P 9 shield gets good reviews for its ergonomics that make recoil manageable. You might check one of those out.

I don't find the LC9 to be all that bad.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You might rethink a 9mm

IMHO, A 9mm will go right through a person if it doesn't hit an organ, or a large bone. For stopping power you are actually better off with the lesser 380 and use a corban bullet. If you want something more effect, you might consider a 40 S&W. There are sub compacs in 40 s&w and 45 apc, but I believe the 45 is a bit of an overkill (no pun intended). I looked at the Smith and Wesson, the Ruger and the Springfield DX40. After some serious consideration and without shooting any of them prior, I choose the DX40. Much heavier than any 9 or 380, but a very impressive handgun. The DX is in the $550. range. What you want in a conceal carry is stopping power, and the 40 s&w gives you that and more.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I have a fondness for pocket auto's, with that said, I now carry my Springfield XDs .45acp. It can fit in an average pocket but I use a holster IWB anyway. If you like a .380 sized gun then take a look at the XDs. I have Kel-Tec's PF-9 and P-11 and definately prefer the P-11 as a shooter due to it's thicker grip & higher capacity, seems to have much less felt recoil than any of the single stack 9mm's. Khar, Diamondback, Sig Sauer Kel-Tec, Taurus & Springfield all deserve a close look when looking for a compact 9mm. There many others out there as well but I truly believe any of them would be a better option than the (becoming) obsolete .380acp.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I carry a SR 40 with no problems. I use Remora holster and it is very comfortable. I use Hornady 155 gr TAP ammo. As for stopping power, it may go through but it will make a big hole all the way. If I could find it in my area, I'd use critical defense or critical duty.
I have fire many rounds through a SR9c and loved every minute of it. It is just to small for my over sized hands. If you have regular sized hands, I'd recommend the SR9c.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have every confidence in my SR-40 but its just to big to pocket carry, so its either the LCP or upgrade to the 9mm....HELP!

I carry a full size Taurus PT-840 in an IWB Cross Breed holster..Never a problem and this is wearing Jeans and a tank top most every day? No need to change weapons perhaps a holster of quality is in the mix.. OBTW I also carry a Bersa Thunder CC 380 as a BUG..

wPm

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
If cheaper ammo means youll practice more, I'm all for it. An SP101 is a great choice also!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I carry an LC9 IWB in a Remora holster with 124g JHP. Have no issues with the recoil.

About 700 rounds with no FTF or FTE's - but use American ammo.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts