Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this brand new today. I can't believe I didn't see it when I bought it. Notice the void behind the cylinder on the frame. Should I ask Ruger to fix this?

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
RRT27 - Yeah I'd give 'em a call. It's brand spanking new and it's going to bug you every time you look at it if you don't. Any time I've talked with Ruger CS they've been very sympathetic to my concerns no matter how small. See what they'll do - you won't know unless you ask.

Wave

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
How does it shoot, it is purely cosmetic?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You are probably right. I'm a little hesitant because I don't want to be out a firearm for such a long period again. My last firearm that I bought was sent back to them as well. I got it back 4-5 weeks later and the bolt actually fell out of the gun during cycling (Ruger American). I had to box it up again and send it back. Then they replaced it. Back I go to the gunshop again. All I own are Rugers and up till this point the company has had a lot of goodwill with me. I guess I'm kinda venting. I should send it back. It's not like I can polish it up and put metal where it should have been.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sorry for the ignorant question but I own no revolvers, yet. What's wrong with it?

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Even some of the projectiles I buy (like from Nosler) say "seconds" or cosmetic blems and are discounted...to buy a brand new revolver at brand new prices deserves a brand new product that is correct...I love Ruger..it's all I own (except an antique "first rifle" that's a winchester) but I think Ruger is in a rush to fill all those orders and from what I hear (and see on one I bought that was way off and very "tight") things are not up to the older quality standards...they at least need to inspect what they ship and that one wouldn't have made it thought any kind of visual inspection much less the handling of a functional test. Just depends on how much you need to use it right now. If you want a gun that is cosmetically not perfect you can save a ton with Rossi or Taurus....not bad guns at all...just not the quality for a Ruger's price.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
That's not a void, it's the crosspin that retains the firing pin.
Usually those are polished down so flush with the frame it's hard to see them, in this case it was poorly done.

It's no casting flaw, it's cosmetic only, and it's merely a visual annoyance.
If you send it back to Ruger they may try to re-polish it or just return it to you with a note saying it's "in specs".

I personally wouldn't bother returning it.
Denis

·
Registered
707 Posts
The circular hole behind the cylinder on the left is not normally there.
My GP100s have the same hole, as does my Super Redhawks. I did not pull them out of storage, but I believe my SP101s, Redhawks and Security Sixes have the same circular artifact. I believe it is as DPris posted, a pin pressed in to retain the firing pin.

None of them are as obvious as yours, though. In fact, on one SRH, I had to get REALLY close to detect it at all.

The biggest objection I would have to a defect as obvious as the on on your gun is that it would provide a place for corrosion to occur.

You probably know that stainless steel is not rust-proof, but merely corrosion resistant. What's more, where carbon steel tends to runs evenly on the surface, stainless, when it does corrode, tends a little more to pit.

I would ask Ruger about that possibility when I contacted them.

I believe there is zero chance this cosmetic defect could ever affect function, accuracy, strength or safety.

Good luck.

Lost Sheep

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
One of my 6" GP100's has the very same thing. Agreed that it's just the retaining pin for the firing pin. I've been shooting this gun for 3 years and have countless thousands of rounds through this revolver without ANY issues at all. Trust me, I'm anal retentive big time with my firearms. If this had been even the slightest issue with the gun, Ruger would have gotten the gun back "post-haste". But it's been such a damn good revolver, I've never had any cause to be concerned.

In fact, it makes it easier to get to the firing pin if needed for cleaning. Without having to figure out if I have the edge level with the rest of the finish when re-installing the pin.

Just my opinion is all sir. :)

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Rugers are not cosmetically perfect, I have MANY GP100's and among the cosmetic flaws are a casting void on the frame behind the hammer on one 6" GP100, it looks like a chunk of the frame is missing...........also have one with a rough looking firing pin retaining pin like that.......have another with a front sight channel so tight that any front sight I put in has had to be "fitted" with a file and would then be super loose in any other GP100. One of my favorite GP's has a rough chunk filed out of the channel where the pawl rides, looks like a Ruger tech removed a casting burr on his way out the door at 4:59 pm and just jammed a rat tail file in there,, yanked it a few times and threw it in the box.:) This gun also had an overlong pawl and the cylinder wouldn't close after the gun heated up from a few cylinders, I had to touch the pawl with a file to fix the issue....... The gun works fine now, I'm not worried about it.:)

I have paid much more for a few brand new S&W's and got a gun that looked like it was polished by a 3rd grader........I paid $700 for a 617-6 and do not expect my new guns to look used out of the box.......I sold it soon after because I was tired of looking at it.

I could probably go on with other flaws, but I still love my Rugers and trust my life to them every day.:D They work, they're affordable and they last forever. If they came from the factory perfect, they would cost double what they do now.

Also have other "flaws" in many of my Six series guns, such as a barrel that was over polished on the sides so now it's oval shaped,

They aren't always perfect, but they work. I wouldn't worry about it, it's not a Korth, it's a Ruger:cool:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, you guys are right in that this is the pin and every GP and six series has it. I just don't like the gap. None of my other rugers have this very noticeable gap. I know that i'm gonna get a gun with scratches and that this is not going to affect function. I can buff out scratches. I do have to look very hard at my security six to find the pin. I can see this pretty far off. I'm not gonna call ruger on this. I'm just super picky on my guns I guess.

·
Registered
53 Posts
At the prices of guns these days you have every right to be "super picky" If you wanted a blem gun then you should buy a blem gun at blem gun prices but that is not the case. You paid full price for a perfect gun therefore you should receive a perfect gun. Where ever this idea of "close enough" or "I can live with that" comes from these days I have no idea. That isn't my idea of quality... but then again, maybe I'm just being super picky! ;)

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Ruger's term is Recoil Shield Cross Pin. It goes all the way through the frame. One of my Bearcats has a small dip in the end of the pin itself, on the left side of the gun. The right end is behind the loading gate. Doesn't bother me, just one way I can tell which of my two Bearcats is which........:cool:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went back to my gun store today and they let me pick out another. I do a lot of business with them and they have great customer service! I told them it was my problem that I didn't catch it. I offered to pay a restocking fee and they wouldn't here of it. Love good customer service. Here is a pic of the new one.

The old one

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Perfect...that's the kind of store to deal with...seldom seen these days...glad you got the GP and can go enjoy it...

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
A non-issue for me, but if you couldn't sleep nights then I'm happy for you. :)

I've had firing pins replaced on more than one Ruger & the original pin is always tossed & replaced by a dome-ended pin that protrudes slightly higher at both ends above the frame surface. Reassembly with the original factory pin isn't worth the trouble in trying to align it to match the frame contours again.
Never bothered me, the "void" you had wouldn't either. :)
Denis

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Perfect...that's the kind of store to deal with...seldom seen these days...glad you got the GP and can go enjoy it...
You're right it is seldom seen these days. I give them all of my business without fail. Very happy!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts