Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased the sr40. This being my first pistol and the fact that i have never carried concealed before im not sure where to go to find a good holster. I have a molded leather holster to wear on my hip but my worry is that since i have a prety large build it wil lbe difficult to conceal, especaily in the warmer months when i wouldnt want to be wearing a baggy sweatshirt. Id like to find a good quality shoulder holster but id like to avoid breaking the bank as i have seen some of them can get prety expensive. Does anyone have some suggestions of websites or stores to go that will have a good selection as well as reasonable prices?

Thanks, Mike

· Registered
154 Posts
In my experience, cheap holsters are basically useless. Their fit and finish are questionable and ill fitting.

I don't believe that you will enjoy carrying with a shoulder holster at all. They print really easily, and they're not really comfortable.

I would look at an Inside the WaistBand (IWB) type, something like a Crossbreed Supertuck or one of the many others similar to it.

An long tail untucked t-shirt will give you a great deal of concealment in warmer weather by the way.

· Registered
183 Posts
I recently purchased the sr40. This being my first pistol and the fact that i have never carried concealed before im not sure where to go to find a good holster. I have a molded leather holster to wear on my hip but my worry is that since i have a prety large build it wil lbe difficult to conceal, especaily in the warmer months when i wouldnt want to be wearing a baggy sweatshirt. Id like to find a good quality shoulder holster but id like to avoid breaking the bank as i have seen some of them can get prety expensive. Does anyone have some suggestions of websites or stores to go that will have a good selection as well as reasonable prices?

Thanks, Mike

Mike,

I'm a fairly big guy myself.

Somewhere, in my stash of old stuff, I have a VERY NICE shoulder holster, for a 1911, that I bought sometime in the late '70's.

Yeah, they look cool and comfy in the movies, but they ain't all that.

1. They ain't as comfy as they look.
2. They are NOT cool. Actually, they can get pretty HOT.

I know that there are better shoulder rigs available now, but I've not seen a reason to go back that way.

I suggest that you check out the:

Crossbreed SuperTuck

SuperTuck Deluxe | Crossbreed Holsters - Super Tuck Deluxe

And the:

Nate Squared Line

index

I have one of each, and am happy with both of them.

Like I said, I'm a big guy. And I carry a big gun.

A 5.25" SA XD(m) .45.

The Crossbreed is much easier to re-holster, but the Nate Squared is the most comfy to wear all day.

Duane

· Registered
121 Posts
I use a shoulder holster, but in reverse of what you are thinking. The shoulder holster is for my winter carry when I am wearing a heavy coat. It is easier to get to than trying to lift the coat out of the way to draw from my belt line. I use a vertical shoulder holster; I tried horizontal but couldn't stand it.

In the summer, I carry appendix IWB or OWB. I really like Old Faithful holsters. They are quite a bargain if you buy their "stage 3" kit version, and it takes less than 15 minutes to assemble one.

· Registered
2,101 Posts
I use the Galco Miami classic rigs, have 2 of them, one for 1911 and another for Beretta 92.

I'm pretty large (6'4"/ 270lb) and find that they conceal a 1911 really well, but the 92 not as well due to its fat magazine cap.

For clothing, I wear a button down shirt that is 1 size larger than I normally wear, plaid/square striped prints/hawiian go a long ways to breaking up the outlines if the gun prints at all (once again, the 1911 doesn't print, the 92 does slightly).

I would choose belt carry, but I have lower back problems (crushed vertebrae 20 some years ago) and can't carry anything much bigger than my j-frame for a long period of time on my belt without pain.

· Registered
5 Posts
I use a shoulder holster, but in reverse of what you are thinking. The shoulder holster is for my winter carry when I am wearing a heavy coat. It is easier to get to than trying to lift the coat out of the way to draw from my belt line. I use a vertical shoulder holster; I tried horizontal but couldn't stand it.

In the summer, I carry appendix IWB or OWB. I really like Old Faithful holsters. They are quite a bargain if you buy their "stage 3" kit version, and it takes less than 15 minutes to assemble one.
Know this is an old thread, but I have a bad back also, a shoulder holster is all I wear, I have the sr1911 and xds 45 and use the Triple K rig along with an uncle mike nylon. Depends on your needs, if I had a normal back I'd probably go with a IWB for the XDS 3.3 .45 and still the sholder rig for the heavy 1911.;)

· Banned
1,940 Posts
Just buy a USGI Bianchi UM84 holster and shoulder harness on ebay for $20
They are fully ambidextrious and can be adjusted to fit any body style.
The holster fits many different guns so the SR40 should work fine.
Because they are military issue you know they are durable.
They come in green or black.

· Registered
30 Posts
I have found that body type plays into it also. If you are a skinny guy you might like them but if you are older, getting a little stiff in the shoulders, have short arms or have a large chest or belly you might have a hard time reaching you gun.
Also I have been in Law Enforcement for over 35 yrs. and can't think of anyone I know who has one other than at home in a closet.

· Registered
2 Posts

Thanks, Mike
I don't believe that you will enjoy carrying with a shoulder holster at all.

· Rifleman
1,630 Posts
Galco Miami Classic. ..then theres all the rest. Arguably the best shoulder rig out there. I've had one since the early 90s for the P series. Also swap out the holster(its modular) for a 1911 holster. Use it in the winter mostly. Super comfy, easy to use, it works tactically, looks cool.

Having said that, I've tried numerous others over the yrs that were less expensive, and they all pretty much sucked big time in fit, comfort, function, etc. For this reason, unlike other types of holsters, I've observed shoulder rigs suffering greatly when the price drops. And wouldn't waste my $$ because of that.

· Registered
1,020 Posts
I got a Triple K brand

I got this triple K brand holster for my P94. It's the only comfortable way to carry such a heavy gun . I like it. good quality leather, at half the price of a miami classic .

Attachments

· Registered
19 Posts
The galco classic light is the cheapest id go. I actually prefer it to the more expensive galcos for lighter guns.

But, a shoulder holster for everyday carry wouldnt be my first suggestion. If you havent tried a hybrid holsted like a crossbreed, you really should. More bang for the buck than shoulder holsters and comfortable enough to carry every day

· Registered
2,906 Posts
If you go the shoulder holster route don't waste your time with a cheap nylon rig and get a decent leather one. At a minimum go with Galco, Desantis or Bianchi.

I have a Galco Lite shoulder rig for my 9E, so different caliber but basically same gun as yours. There aren't many shoulder holsters made for the SR series so you've got off the shelf choices of Desantis or Galco. The Galco will run you about $70. You will only be able to carry one spare mag with the Galco but 31 rounds is nothing to sniff at. The Desantis should run you about $120-140.

To the best of my knowledge those are your only two options for non custom manufacturers for a SR series shoulder rig.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.