Ruger Forum banner

Side arm (duty size) vs carbine

4K views 68 replies 27 participants last post by  maddmatter1970 
#1 · (Edited)
Most things I was told many years ago, and ignored, have come back to be true as my understanding grew. A sidearms only use is to get you to a long gun.

One of those things that, at least for me, is the superiority of a long gun over a pistol.

It seems so obvious. But such a painful fact of life. My M9 did and does everything a gun is supposed to do. No reason you can't hit a running jackrabbit or cotton tail with one. No reason at all......

Except range. The difference on a target at 10 yards vs 25 yard and 50 yards maybe the 1/2 the width of your front post, and holdover. With your outstreched arm. I get point shooting, hell I do it subconciously fooling myself into "must be a combat hold" or some foolishness.

But enter the pcc. Tougher to carry? Yes. But success breads comfort, and comfort joy, and joy practice. So to sum it up I crunched some numbers...

I shoot my pcc 87.9% more than my 92fs as of this moment in time. Since 2019. Before that, my 92fs was my single 9x19 weapon. And I shot it alot, had copious amounts of training with it. I am still passable with it. The ONLY advantage it has is portability. No small consideration, but I want to devise a way to make the pcc just as portable.

I CAN hit a moving eye socket with my pcc now. Or my ar's. Doing it with the pistol is simply luck.

Mission accepted.

See less See more
#63 · (Edited)
I really like them. Fit the bill better than I thought!
Reading reviews on line I have to wonder what kinds of scopes some folks are mounting on carbines.....
I do NOT mean to tell people what to do, but if someone needs huge glass that will not fit this on a ar, or carbine, maybe a full size rifle may be a better fit.

They also seem tough enough to hold up to my dumb behind!

#65 ·
If you're gonna have to shoot someone, chances are vastly in favor of using a handgun to do it. I'm a cop. While I take a rifle or shotgun into some situations, it's my handgun that'll probably get used. When I answer the door to an unexpected knock, it's a handgun I have tucked behind my leg. I CCW a handgun. A handgun is my first grab for a bump in the night.

#67 ·
In several states, it is illegal to carry a loaded rifle in your vehicle due to hunting regulations. It is legal to carry loaded pistols with single-point bungee slings. At full extension on the sling, these pistols shoot like a rifle.
Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory Metal Trigger

Reactions: maddmatter1970
#69 ·
I have further lightened all of my working guns now. Using the slings can pad the handguards if needed. (The way I was trained) Hand stops and an angled forgrip are nice for range days, but in practice, holding a sight picture for any extended time unsupported feels so much better without them.
And that is the trick. Function. In motion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.