Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Fox... I finally got around to re-finishing my late grandfathers shot gun that has been passed down to me. It is the first shot gun I ever shot, and the first gun that earned me a gaggle squirrels on my first hunt with my dad when I was a kid. It is a early 1960's Savage Fox Model B 12ga. shot gun SxS, and still runs like a champ. In fact, it was made before they start putting serial numbers on firearms. They called it the "working man's double barrel." And I tell ya what, any working man would be proud to call this fire arm there own, even Joe Biden. :D

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
I have a Stoeger Uplander Supreme I use for CAS. 12a, 26". I disabled the auto safety and clipped a coil or two from the lever spring. Works great.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Your post is making me miss my Stevens 311A. It was my first gun but sadly I don't have it anymore. The reality is, the gun was a heap. The right firing pin wore down the hole it pokes through and caused light primer strikes about one shot in 10. It would have cost more than it was worth to repair at the time. I'm so sorry now I didn't have it fixed because the price/value of 311's has gone way up, but more importantly, it was my first gun and I miss it now. Even if it was a heap.

·
Banned
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm so sorry now I didn't have it fixed because the price/value of 311's has gone way up, but more importantly, it was my first gun and I miss it now. Even if it was a heap.
Yeah most of the Foxes I've seen go up to the 700 dollar range for one in good condition. But this shot gun is a hand-me-down, I would probably get struck by lightning if I get rid of it. But it has held up pretty good. The case harden steel and barrels are rust free, the stock and forearm were weathered so I sanded them down and re-applied layers of boiled linseed oil for the finish. But if anything breaks on it I will send it to the best surgeons ;)

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
You have a very nice side x side shotgun & you have done a great job on refinishing the gun stock. Well my only shotgun currently is a over & under 410 gauge shotgun that I bought about 3 years ago. Thanks for sharing pics!!!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Nice looking family hand me down. I have a couple Stoeger Supreme side by side coach guns that I use for Cowboy action shooting.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I liquidated all my SXS shotguns years ago except one, a first year BSS 12gauge.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I wish my O/U was a Side by Side. Just like the SxS profile better.

·
Super Moderator
22,137 Posts
Kame:

How many coats of linseed and did you sand or steel wool between coats?

·
Banned
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kame:

How many coats of linseed and did you sand or steel wool between coats?

I've got 4 layers so far, and it gave the wood a nice satin glow. But I use 0000 steel wool, a slightly damp paint thinner rag, and a dry foam sponge between applications. Wool to open the pours, a rag to wipe off the dust, and wipe down with a dry sponge to clean any excess dirt of the stock before rubbing on another coat of oil.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have three, a Fox BSE, (similar to your gun with a single select trigger, bored IC and Mod), a Spanish import 20ga from American Firearms, bored IC and Mod, this was the first shotgun I bought myself, and a 20ga Pedersoli muzzleloader, bored IC and Mod. I also have 5 O/U shotguns. Keep yer powder dry...........robin :cool:

·
Banned
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh wow, all these "Double Barrels" is starting to make me feel all warm inside.:) Lets see some more pictures

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a Baltimore armory side by side that dates back to about 1899. My father in law gave it to me a year ago. It was his father's before that. It has a Damascus steel barrels do I would have to take to a gunsmith to check if it is safe to fire.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I have a Baltimore armory side by side that dates back to about 1899. My father in law gave it to me a year ago. It was his father's before that. It has a Damascus steel barrels do I would have to take to a gunsmith to check if it is safe to fire.
DO NOT fire it with modern ammo! It was designed for Black Powder! With its age I would NOT fire it! But A gunsmith would know better! Pics would be nice :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts