Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older SIG P226 pistol. Love that gun quite a bit.

I have six factory magazines for it, no problems until recently when one of them stopped holding the slide open when the last round is fired. I've compared it to the others, looking very closely for any defects to explain such, and the only thing I can find is the front of the magazine follower is tilted a little higher than on the others.

Do I need to get a new magazine follower to install, or is this a different problem with the magazine body?

·
Registered
151 Posts
My first guess would be you need to replace your magazine spring, probably not pushing the follower up enough.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would first check that the magazine spring wasn’t installed backwards. If it’s correct, I’d swap springs with a mag that works properly.

If it still doesn’t work I’d swap followers. That should isolate the issue assuming you have other mags that work correctly.

Probably wouldn’t hurt to replace your mag springs if you’ve shot 3-5000 rounds with any of the mags.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got done swapping out the spring on the problematic magazine with one that I know works, and the results are no different. The follower is still tilted up at an unusual angle compared to the others, and it still won't hold the slide open.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you’re sure the spring isn’t installed backwards I’d swap followers next.

ETA- Does it lock back when you pull the slide to the rear with an empty mag?

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
When you were swapping the springs, did you clean the inside of the magazine and make sure there is nothing inside the body of the magazine that is hanging up the follower? After you swapped springs, did you swap followers to see if it did the same thing with a proven "good" follower?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you’re sure the spring isn’t installed backwards I’d swap followers next.
No chance of the spring being backwards, I left the plates on the bottom of the springs to make sure everything went in properly.

ETA- Does it lock back when you pull the slide to the rear with an empty mag?
The P226 locks back with every empty magazine I've put in it, except for the one with the crazy tilted follower.

When you were swapping the springs, did you clean the inside of the magazine and make sure there is nothing inside the body of the magazine that is hanging up the follower? After you swapped springs, did you swap followers to see if it did the same thing with a proven "good" follower?
Well the magazines haven't been swabbed out, but they don't have any debris in them that would cause any malfunctions. Due to land restraints I don't get out nearly as much as I'd like for practice so they don't see much use, and I don't drop them on the ground when they're empty so they don't have any chance for picking up debris.

I swapped out the followers between the problematic magazine and a known functioning one, and the follower still tilted improperly when put in a new magazine body, while the good follower was seated properly.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, maybe the upper part of the mag body or feed lips is the issue?
I thought about that too. So I took the spring and follower out of a magazine I knew worked, and slid them into the magazine that's giving me problems. When I did that the magazine with the newly installed internals locked the slide open, just like it should.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Should be a very simple fix, take the spring out and give it a good tug to stretch it a little. Put it back together and try it. Works great on 1911 mags as well.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's a picture of what I'm up against.

The magazine on the left is the one with the bad follower. The one on the right shows how all the other followers sit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I thought about that too. So I took the spring and follower out of a magazine I knew worked, and slid them into the magazine that's giving me problems. When I did that the magazine with the newly installed internals locked the slide open, just like it should.
So, it sounds like it is the follower.

If it were me I’d buy a new follower and while you’re at it, replace the mag springs, recoil spring, decocker spring and trigger bar spring. That is, if you haven’t done it in a few years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts