Ruger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed here before but I need some directions before I get too far along as this is my 1st handgun larger than a 22lr. I bought a used SR9c that was test fired Aug 11 and looked new, saved $60.
I have not yet shoot off a rest just 2 freehand for 3 mags. All are low and left. The circle help thing says I'm jerking the trigger or tightening fingers which I don't know what that means. Of course I'm not good at all and next time I get to shoot will take a rest, was just trying to get a feel for something larger than 22lr. Looking at the front sight it appears to a little left and the rear sight seems centered. If it still shoots low and left on a rest I know to move the rear sight to the right, elevation is simple, but not so much the windage especially if I have to move the front sight too. Any vids on adjusting the rear and front sights on the SRs. Hope its my shooting and not the gun, what little I have shot it, sure do like it. I have a SR22, Lite and a Single 10(love it) and have them pretty well sighted in. Been a lot of gang activity around here, so far they seem to shoot each other but and felt I needed something larger, may get a pocket 380 too. Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I know this has been discussed here before but I need some directions before I get too far along as this is my 1st handgun larger than a 22lr. I bought a used SR9c that was test fired Aug 11 and looked new, saved $60.
I have not yet shoot off a rest just 2 freehand for 3 mags. All are low and left. The circle help thing says I'm jerking the trigger or tightening fingers which I don't know what that means. Of course I'm not good at all and next time I get to shoot will take a rest, was just trying to get a feel for something larger than 22lr. Looking at the front sight it appears to a little left and the rear sight seems centered. If it still shoots low and left on a rest I know to move the rear sight to the right, elevation is simple, but not so much the windage especially if I have to move the front sight too. Any vids on adjusting the rear and front sights on the SRs. Hope its my shooting and not the gun, what little I have shot it, sure do like it. I have a SR22, Lite and a Single 10(love it) and have them pretty well sighted in. Been a lot of gang activity around here, so far they seem to shoot each other but and felt I needed something larger, may get a pocket 380 too. Thanks, Steve
Since it is a new gun (to you ) and you are new to this size handgun, don't adjust the sights until after a few range trips. It probably is pretty close as it is. The low and left shooting is very common.

Do a bit more research, especially on shooting a pistol from a bench rest. There are tricks with doing that, too. Lots of good videos out that that explain it better than reading text.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I had the same result out of the box with my SR9c. A little low and to the left. Same day I shot two other guns and they were spot on. Signal action 1911 and a revolver in both single and double action. There is a chance that I am the problem. I did not adjust anything yet just in case it is me, but I will if it stays low left. For me, even if I was jerking the trigger or tightening my finger, chances are that is the way I react to this gun. I believe that I don't really care how I hit center, as long as I do.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I have the same gun and find that when I concentrate on each shot I can shoot the center out of the target. If I relax and just shoot I tend to shoot about 2 inches low and to the left about 2 to 3 inches. So for me it is an issue with grip. If your front site is indeed moved toward the left that will cause the bullet to strike further to the right. Ideally the front site should be dead center above the barrel. The rear site is adjustable for both elevation and windage (left to right). The Ruger manual will explain how to do this. Changing elevation is easy, just turning a screw. Windage is not as easy, you have to loosen the hold down screw and tap the site in the direction you want to move the point of impact. I have learned from you tube videos that it takes some fairly solid taps with a hammer and punch. To move the point of impact to the right you move the rear site to the right. The front site is the opposite but don't move it if it is centered. And I would recommend having a gunsmith look at it to put it back if it is indeed not centered.
All that said, since this is a more powerful round than you are used to you may be squeezing the gun anticipating the recoil, that's what the circle thing means. You can practice dry firing as long as you have an empty magazine in the gun to practice keeping the sights on target while squeezing the trigger back.
Enjoy getting to know your new gun.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
One word of caution, if you decide to move your sites be very cautious not to mark up the sight or your slide. Use either a nylon punch or multiple layers of tape to cover the slide and side of the sight you are tapping on. Check out the armory channel on you tube Pete has a couple of videos showing how he replaces and moves sights on his Glocks. Different gun but same method.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One word of caution, if you decide to move your sites be very cautious not to mark up the sight or your slide. Use either a nylon punch or multiple layers of tape to cover the slide and side of the sight you are tapping on. Check out the armory channel on you tube Pete has a couple of videos showing how he replaces and moves sights on his Glocks. Different gun but same method.
Can't locate the vids over there, by the way I'm a retired Airdale.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
You should be able to go to the armory channel page and search sights. That will give you all of his vids on sight work he has done. Selecting one of those should also give you a bunch of related or suggested videos. Hickock45 has some great videos mostly shooting reviews, but he has at least one very good sight alignment video.
So you were a brownshoe? Sometimes I miss it but living in one place for more than 3 years has it's advantages.
By the way if you scroll down this page below the reply box you should see similar ruger forum discussions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts