Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone, I guess I did something wrong when trying to post this yesterday, so I will try again now. I’m confused/have a question about my new gun.

I bought an AR-556 back in the middle of August but it took a few weeks to go out and bench rest the iron sights. I’m not sure I want to put an optic on this gun, so I want to make sure the gun is sighted in on the iron sites; I also don’t intend to do much shooting with this particular gun past 50 yards or so, so I decided that was the mark I would sight in on. When I finally got to shoot, I only had a 30 yard pistol range to work with but at 30 yards I was hitting about 3.5 to 4 inches right of the center where aiming. Based on that, my calculations have the bullet being off center 1.3 inches per 10 yards. Has anyone ever had a rifle that far off straight from the factory? I have tightened the sight down, so I know that’s not a problem.

I adjusted the sights accordingly, 13 clicks to the left and began to hit consistently in the black of my target. If my calculations are correct, that means I need to adjust the sights another 7-8 clicks so that it will be hitting in the black at 50 yards?

Am I on the right track or am I doing something ridiculously wrong? Any help/advice that can be given will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I have purchased guns with the adjustable sights quite a bit off target. I think manufacturers try to get them close but really leave zeroing up to the shooter.

The 5.56 has a fairly flat trajectory between 30 and 50 yards. I think if you get on target at 30 yards, you'll be pretty darn close to zero at 50 yards.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have purchased guns with the adjustable sights quite a bit off target. I think manufacturers try to get them close but really leave zeroing up to the shooter.

The 5.56 has a fairly flat trajectory between 30 and 50 yards. I think if you get on target at 30 yards, you'll be pretty darn close to zero at 50 yards.
I agree with this. My sights were off about the same as the OP.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,044 Posts
jblaker1, My AR556 sights were off about the same. I only fired 20 rounds with the open sights .... mostly to confirm function. I blamed it on my eyesight, which is pretty grim so for the next range trip ... I had a Nikon P-223 3x scope installed that works quite well.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
This is probably something I should do more. Because of my miserable eyesight, I scope just about everything. However, I just put a red dot on my ar556 and was getting good groups (for me) at 50 yards. The open sights on the AR556 were pretty close from factory for me.

I do have a new complete upper that has the A2 carry handle read sight that I didn't hit a 3" target a single time with in ten shots last ngiht. Need to get out the paper target and see where it's shooting I guess, I'd like to not scope this rifle and just keep it for close range shooting.

Could someone advise on which peep hole on this AR rear sight is best for close distance? Has a dual peep hole rear sight, one hole slightly bigger than the other. I was using the bigger hole for close range thinking it would give a bigger field of view (it does), but perhaps that's not the one to be using?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I could be wrong but your windage should be the same to infinity. If it's centered at thirty yards it should be the same all the way out there, taking wind into consideration. It's your elevation that changes due to bullet drop.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I could be wrong but your windage should be the same to infinity. If it's centered at thirty yards it should be the same all the way out there, taking wind into consideration. It's your elevation that changes due to bullet drop.
I believe this statement to be true. If you were just starting to hit black at 30 yards though, more adjustment would be needed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I figured some more adjustment would be needed to be hitting black at 50 as compared to 30. I was just asking to make sure I hadn't screwed up somewhere; I've never had iron sights be off that much from the factory. I think I'm going to have the opportunity to go out tomorrow (Sunday) so we will see. Thanks for the advice so far though, I will keep you posted.

·
Super Moderator
22,137 Posts
Should be the same. If you use the same ammo.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
same basic experience with my new 'lil girl yesterday. intended as a close range hell raiser, probably will add an inexpensive red dot soon. will leave the long range work to the bigger calibers and bolt action. I will say these entry level AR's are about as much fun as an old geezer can have with his clothes on.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for all of the help and insight. I was able to get to the range last night and out about 120 rounds down range (in 10 round segments) before dark. Attached is a picture of the one target, I think I'm jerking the trigger pulling the shots left, but the groupings made me happy. Time to think about a new trigger with a lighter pull, or is there a way to adjust these down?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Your trigger is probably not adjustable for the pull weight. There are some after market trigger kits that will lower the pull, such as the ALM Defense (QMS) trigger. Quality Mil-Spec Trigger (QMS)

It doesn't lower the trigger pull a lot, down to about 6½ pounds, but it sure smooths it out and makes it a lot crisper. Unless you are into competitive target shooting, that is all you need. $46. Can't go wrong. Easy to install after watching you tube videos.

PS: I would adjust your sights back to the right a click or two, just from the picture.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts