Ruger Forum banner

On You Pistols With Adjustable Sights, Which Sight Picture Do You Use?

• Sight Picture #1

Votes: 22 17.6%
  • Sight Picture #2

Votes: 79 63.2%
  • Sight Picture #3

Votes: 22 17.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 1.6%
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was having a conversation with a couple of friends at the range yesterday regarding their preferred sight picture and target alignment on pistols with adjustable 3 dot sights. My two friends both indicated that they had been taught and primarily used the 6:00 hold (#1 on the image below), while I've always set my sights to use #3. It made me curious to set up a poll to see how the members here "line em up" and why. Keep in mind as we discuss this that we are only talking about pistols with adjustable 3 dot sights, so that we don't spin off into a discussion of distance, trajectory, loads and compensation for pistols with fixed sights that don't necessarily shoot to POA ;).

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I use #2. At least I try to. Lot of good it does me though.

I just don't get to practice nearly enough. :(

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Funny you should ask...

I just had this conversation with a gunsmith and competition shooter friend of mine. While I use #2, he uses #1. His reason is that he can see the target better. However, I think the size and distance of the target would make that method vary in accuracy. Possibly in his shooting, his targets and distances are all the same??? Maybe, I don't know.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I voted for #1 but I have been doing some experimenting lately with using #2.
With my old eyes (65) and wearing progressive type glasses, I am finding it more and more difficult to get the front sight and the target in focus at the same time. When I say "in focus" I don't necessarily mean clear as a bell, but just clear enough that the bull is more than a fuzzy vague blur. This is mostly an issue when shooting @ 25 yds. I have had some success with using #2 on the center of the fuzzy dot vs trying to find the exact bottom of it.
I have also had some success using an aperture on my glasses but I don't want to get your poll off topic.
Back when I had great eyesight, I suppose my answer would be more based on accuracy and preference than my ability to see clearly and having to deal with glasses.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have been using 3 most my life but I have been wanting to transitioning to 2 for a while it just makes more sense to me. I just haven't had a chance to get out and adjust my sights.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Site picture #2 for me. Long ago I started with #3 but when I became more educated in shooting I switched to #2. It works well and makes more sense.to me.

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
Until very recently I exclusively used picture Number 1. (Six o'clock hold.)

That's the way I was trained and it alway worked well for me. (That was the "Classically Correct" method.) However, I don't shoot rifle anymore. I no longer even own one.

I do however, shoot a wide variety of handguns, on a weekly basis, at an indoor range. What I've discovered, through "evolution" is that I am more consistently accurate now with the Number 2 sight picture.

I believe it's relative to the combination of the range's lighting, my tired old eyes and less steady hands. :) But, it's works for me now and I'm sticking with it. :D

·
Super Moderator
16,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
... I do however, shoot a wide variety of handguns, on a weekly basis, at an indoor range. What I've discovered, through "evolution" is that I am more consistently accurate now with the Number 2 sight picture.

I believe it's relative to the combination of the range's lighting, my tired old eyes and less steady hands. :) But, it's works for me now and I'm sticking with it. :D
Quiet 1 ... My "open sight" shooting is primarily a variety of pistols indoors as well, and primarily from 15 yards and below (due to my eyesight). While I've toyed with both #1 & #2 along the ways, I find that I am most consistent utilizing #3, especially with my "aim small miss small" exercises.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Depends on the the gun - how I have it setup - and the type of shooting I plan to do with the gun. With my 1911s, for instance, I use #1 with my Springfield Range Officer which is a gun I use exclusively for paper punching at the range. With my SR1911, I use #2, because the SR is my all purpose, do everything 1911. I never use #3 because there will always be lighting conditions you encounter where you will not be able to see those dots. The dots are helpful for using #2 when I can see them, but I just can't depend on seeing those dots under all field conditions.

·
Registered
177 Posts
#1 but I adjust so the bullets cut the bottom edge of the circle. My friend uses #1 but adjusts so he hits bullseye......and then wonders why he shoots over pop cans and the like.

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
I started out with #3, but have been using #1 lately.
It seems to be working better (so far).

·
Banned
2,787 Posts
Like many others here my eyes have betrayed me however I use #2 most of the time because if you're a liitle low or high it still gives you a hit. The only time #3 comes into play for me is on a fixed sight gun that consistanly hits low but thats a different subject.

·
Registered
17,240 Posts
I generally use #3 with dots and #2 without dots.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
This is an interesting thread topic. I have been using #3 the last year & am shooting noticeably better. before that, it was #2.
My most recent purchases with 3-dot sights(LC9 & SR9c)for self-defense have all been set up using #3 at 7 yards.

·
Super Moderator
16,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
2 is the correct image you should be veiwing in you sights regardless which one you are using.
:confused:

This is an interesting thread topic. I have been using #3 the last year & am shooting noticeably better. before that, it was #2.
My most recent purchases with 3-dot sights(LC9 & SR9c)for self-defense have all been set up using #3 at 7 yards.
While I'm partial to #3 as well, it really depends on what each shooter is comfortable with and what works best for them ;)

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
1 - 20 of 58 Posts