Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have posted a few questions in the Ruger semi auto rifle section. Basically what scope for my Mini 14. Ok I found a nice Burris Timberline 2-7x26 mm scope fits my ranch rifle great & I really like it. I usually get my rifle on paper at 25 yds. Then I will step off 100 yds to get fine tuned where I want it. Here is my problem this summer in Utah has been so dry there has been quite a number of fires started by people who are not using safe practice they use fmj ammo so when it hits ground causes alot of sparks thus causing fires. Because of this the area where I usually go has been closed off by the local authorities to target shooting. I posed the question to the local gun shop where can I go or best way to sight in. I was told assuming I am using standard 55 grain factory loads. Sight my gun so it's just a 1/4 inch below my cross mark or point of impact. Then it would be dead on at 100 yards? Thus sighting it in at the local indoor shooting range. Dose this make any sense? I have various brands of 55 grain loads I was planning on using a box of 50 trying to get things done in 10-15 rounds. I would greatly appreciate any comments thanks!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,077 Posts
gqucool, You have the right concept but it requires one more essential piece of information ... how high is the center of your scope above the center of your bore? Scope height directly affects trajectory. Once this is known, I can plot a 100 yard trajectory for you. This will show exactly how far above or below the cross mark you must aim at 25 yds to make the bullet hit the target at 100 yards. I would be glad to chart it for you if you can measure your scope from the center of the front lens to the center of the barrel (accurate to .1").

You can sight in any rifle in with just two rounds. This takes a sturdy shooting bench, sandbags, and a rifle vise (I use a Tipton rifle cleaning vise). Here's the concept: set your target at 25 yards and put a 1" "aiming dot" on the target that correlates with the trajectory as mentioned above. Steady the rifle on sandbags, place the cross hairs dead center on the aiming dot and fire one round. Place the rifle in the vise and adjust its position until the cross hairs are dead on the aiming dot. Make sure the rifle is very stable ... no movement allowed and the cross hairs are still on target. Carefully adjust the scope's turret screws until the cross hairs are directly on the hole for the first shot. If you move the gun, you will have to start over. Move the target to 100 yards and place a new aiming dot dead center on the target. Again over sandbags, fire one round. Repeat the step with the rifle vice and fine tune by adjusting the cross hairs directly on the second hole. If you can do this without moving the gun, your rifle will be sighted in for a 100 yard zero. You can fire additional rounds to confirm.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Sparks off of copper jacketed bullets? Sounds strange to me..Unless I am missing something here.. Don't know much about the weapon you are sighting in..

wPm

·
Registered
496 Posts
Could that chart be used for 40gr 22lr as well.. I would sure like to get hold of something like that for my shooting practices.

wPm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts