Ruger Forum banner

Sight Shooting or Point Shooting. How Do You Train?

• Sight Shooting Only for Self Defense

Votes: 38 10.5%
  • Point Shooting Only for Self Defense

Votes: 24 6.6%
  • I Believe In & Practice Both

Votes: 301 82.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Point shooting has now been around for more than 100 years. Even with all that has been written along the way (Fairbairn, Applegate, Cooper & many more), there still remains a significant debate as to whether "Sighted shooting" or "Point shooting" is the best self defense technique. Given that we have never formally discussed this issue here at RF.Net, I'm curious as to the thoughts and training methods of our members who routinely practice for self defense purposes, thus the poll and the opportunity to weigh in on how you prefer to train and why.

I'm personally a believer that both methods have merit (depending on the situation) and practice both on a weekly basis from the draw stroke as well as from "low compressed" and "high compressed" ready positions. I generally point shoot from 10 yards and less and practice sighted shooting from 10 yards and beyond.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
I belong to a club that only has an outdoor range with 7, 25, 50, and 100 yard lanes. I usually take one handgun and one rifle when I go to the range. I do a point and shoot with the handgun at 7 yards, sight shooting with the handgun at 25 yards and then a little rifle work at both 50 and 100 yards. A good boy scout remembers to "Be Prepared", thus my practice routine. One thing I have learned in life, I'm not smart enough to figure out what will happen, so I need to be prepared for everything and anything. Those could include an attack with a handgun, knife, club, or even bare hands at close range (7 yards and in); a handgun attack from longer range (25 yards is probably too far, but you work with what you have); and the rifle practice just cause it's fun. Due to the weather, I sometimes don't make it every week, but fortunately I work just 5 minutes away, so often in nice weather a run over on my lunch hour a couple of times in a week. So it probably averages out.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I almost would like to change my vote to point shooting. I do that most. Every training class I have ever taken tells me I will rarely ever have a chance to get into a perfect combat stance.

Even laying on my back, as if I just got shoved to the ground I have been taught to pull, point and fire.

Old eyes vs instinct pointing, I must admit I have many many rounds of practice double tapping my J frame.

·
Registered
17,039 Posts
I generally practice both too.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I hit point shooting as I was reading the last one. Dang it! I, like yourself Buck, practice both, but try to practice point shooting the majority of the time. When buying a carry piece, I only buy one that points naturally to me just for point shooting. That is one major factor when I buy a new carry piece. My new CZ points really well, but still ranks under the Glock. The Glock and Caracal pointed the best for me.

·
Super Moderator
16,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I almost would like to change my vote to point shooting. I do that most. Every training class I have ever taken tells me I will rarely ever have a chance to get into a perfect combat stance.

Even laying on my back, as if I just got shoved to the ground I have been taught to pull, point and fire.

Old eyes vs instinct pointing, I must admit I have many many rounds of practice double tapping my J frame.
Lee ... On balance, and given that most SD confrontations occur from 7 yards and less, 70+ percent of my SD drills fall on the point shooting side of the ledger. I also do a triple tap exercise off of the draw where the 1st two rounds are point (waist level & mid chest level) with the final round at eye level using sights.

·
Registered
262 Posts
We practice both ways .
We also practice with both hands , week hand , strong hand .
We also practice reloads with snap caps and speed loaders while watching tv .
We will also practice by holding gun in lap and pick a spot in the room then point activate the laser and see how close you are .

·
Super Moderator
16,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hit point shooting as I was reading the last one. Dang it! I, like yourself Buck, practice both, but try to practice point shooting the majority of the time. When buying a carry piece, I only buy one that points naturally to me just for point shooting. That is one major factor when I buy a new carry piece. My new CZ points really well, but still ranks under the Glock. The Glock and Caracal pointed the best for me.
LS ... I fixed your vote :). I agree completely. Proper feel and natural pointing is an absolute must for any pistol that goes in my holster.

·
Super Moderator
16,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We practice both ways .
We will also practice by holding gun in lap and pick a spot in the room then point activate the laser and see how close you are .
Sounds like some great exercises :)

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,320 Posts
Thanks for bringing this up, Buck. After watching an episode of a gun show on tv where this was heavily discussed, I was influenced to practice point shooting for SD.
I still practice sighted shooting but mostly for fun.

·
Super Moderator
16,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for bringing this up, Buck. After watching an episode of a gun show on tv where this was heavily discussed, I was influenced to practice point shooting for SD.
I still practice sighted shooting but mostly for fun.
You're welcome. Here is an interesting article that you might enjoy on this issue from a few years ago (by C.R. Williams) on the USCCA Blog: What They're Not Telling You About Point Shooting

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
I practice both but my point shooting needs a lot of work.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I practice both every time I get to the range as well as moving, reloading, shooting from behind obstacles, and when time permits malfunction drills.

·
Registered
286 Posts
We practice both ways .
Also, i recently got a lazerlyte to practice hip shooting- works!

Having been trained in "traditional" marksmanship, IS was on the back burner. Until i ran into someone who could do it- WELL. Then it occured to me that all the blowgun hunting i had done growing up was all instinct shooting,,HMM..

The spring/summer of 2012 i started fooling with IS with a Red ryder BB gun. based on some conversations with Pete Kautz- Alliance Martial arts- That summer I was hitting quarters in the air. I don't say this to brag, or for self agrandizement, but because i want EVERY gun owning American to be hell on wheels with guns. I began with handguns the same year. Mind you, throughout the summer i put some time into this, and i am a weapons person to begin with. Taking my son to the bus, i'd take the BB gun with me, shooting leaves, fence posts, ect.
After all the BB gun and airsoft work, i was a bit skeptical about the transference to firearms, not as much as i once was, but a bit.
With my marlin 60, on my third or fourth shot, I hit an arial quarter. I hit a clay pigeon out of the air with my FN FAL. With my glock, i was able to do the same.

Its all about training the subconsious mind to do its thing, and training the concious mind to but the hell out and let the SC do its thing. takes a bit to do, but once you let it happen, its cool.

I have since hit asprin in the air with the BB gun and 22. Not 100% with either, but its very fun to do. My dad got a kick out of watching that asprin turn to powder. I also have on ocasion hit a BB in the air- needs good light for this. Pete can do this regularly.

If you can hit like that with a given weapon, hitting an attacker quickly, precisley, under stress, is not as daunting a task.

At one time. LE was trained this way- look up Jelly Brice, The Quickkill program, ect.
I think this faded away as people who did not have a connection and familiarity with firearms got more involved with LE and the Military. Also, liability concerns.

BOTH methods are well worth persueing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
We practice both ways .
I do the exact same as 1stMarine,, you never know if something will happen to your strong hand, or something else to where your main shooting style will have to totally change for a gun fight,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I practice both it because who knows what the future holds?

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
I practice both methods, I believe that practice is the most important thing...JM2C

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
I had to vote the way it currently is (aimed shooting) but I really want to get into practicing both methods of defense shooting. I do practice both hands though in all stances.

·
Super Moderator
16,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys for some great input so far :D

I practice both it because who knows what the future holds?
Exactly right. While the likelihood is that very few if any of us will ever need to draw our firearm in a self defense situation, being prepared to do so is essential.

I practice both methods, I believe that practice is the most important thing...JM2C
We will likely only perform to the level to which we have practiced.

I had to vote the way it currently is (aimed shooting) but I really want to get into practicing both methods of defense shooting. I do practice both hands though in all stances.
Larry, I suspect that few if any start out point shooting. Everyone that I know who point shoots today (including me), started out sight shooting and decided at some point in their evolution to add point shooting to their repertoire.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts