Ruger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used a bench rest to sight in my Ruger American Compact 9mm at 30 feet and had to mover the rear sight A LOT to the right to hit the target center. I would have expected the factory position to be closer to zero, but it was hitting about 3 inches to the left out of the box with the rear sights fairly centered. Should I be concerned about the the barrel being really that crooked inside the slide?

·
Registered
320 Posts
did you by chance shoot it without the rest?

i have a SR-45 that i thought was hitting low and to the left from a rest but when shot free hand it was right on. never figured out why this was, it just is.

·
Registered
726 Posts
If you are right handed and you are squeezing your whole hand along with squeezing the trigger your shots can go left. Dry fire and watch your sights, make sure your trigger finger moves all by itself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can see how not pressing the trigger straight back can push the point of impact to the right and left. Thankfully, there are many training videos that deal with this problem. That's why I wanted to take me out of the picture and sight in from a bench rest. After getting the hand gun zeroed, I fired several rounds free hand. There were a few fliers, because my trigger control still sucks, but four of those shots did group together probably within an inch of each other around center. I need more range time, but the sight adjustments have me worried.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Stand up and shoot it the way you think you would in a defensive situation .
One handed or two handed or try both ... and see how it groups .
So many things affect point of impact ... your grip , shooting w/ one eye , shooting with both eyes open . Eye's ... not everyone's eyes are the same and not every person on the planet has the same POI . The guns grips can make a big difference .
Don't throw in the towel just yet ... shot some more and try different holds on the grips and sighting with dominate eye or try both eyes open .
I have to close my non-dominate eye ... it has a medical problem that throws the dominant eye off .
Another tip ... try a firm grip ...very firm .
Gary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts