Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
I would like to know what is the most efficient way to sight in my Mark III with my Ultradot Matchdot II. The Ultradot manual says I should laser bore sight my weapon at 100 yards then match the red dot to the laser dot. Can I do it at 10 or 25 yards? Someone in another post mentioned something called an RDS in relation to sighting in his pistol, would somebody please explain what that is.
Thanks for any help,
Alan

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
Hey Alan. Welcome to the forum and Congrats on your new UltraDot Matchdot II.

No need to complicate it, amigo. You don't need no stinkin' bore scope. :) I've got several red dot's, including a couple of UltraDots. You'll be fine to start at 10 yards, or even closer if you have to, to make sure your "on-the-paper", then, dial it in.

When you next run the target out to 25 yards you'll be close but may need to "fine tune" it a click or two. If you want, and your range has the distance, you can go out to 50 yards. I've got mine all zeroed at 70 feet, that's the maximum distance of the range that I belong to, and they're usually dead on when I shoot them at 50 feet as well.

Good luck. Let us know how you like your new UltraDot. :)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Alan - welcome to the forum.

I think the term RDS as used in that post simply stands for red dot scope. If you have not already done so, use a rest of some sort and adjust your iron sights to get a good group on a target then install the RDS, put the dot on the same group (you may need to highlight the holes with something in order to see them) and adjust the dot to produce impact in the same area. 10 yards would be a good distance to start with. I don't know at what distance you normally shoot or at what, but that would be a good starting place. If you RDS is way off (shouldn't be), start at 15 feet or so.

As you probably saw on the charts in that other post, there is not a lot of difference in elevation between 10 and 25 yards.

The 100 yd distance in the instructions was more than likely referring to a rifle.
I used to use bore sighting aids, but found it less time consuming and less ammo consuming to just start with a close in and large target, find my POI and then just adjust the scope accordingly.

Let us know what you think of that UltraDot II. I have been looking at it.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Congrats on a great gun and a great red dot. I'll echo what's been said, here, and say it ain't rocket science. Forget the bore sighter. Just get the red dot properly mounted on the MKIII, set the MK on rest with a bag (put the bag under the frame of the MK, not the barrel) at, say, 10 yards, use the same hold you will be using when shooting offhand, then see where you hit and dial things in. Move on out to your desired sight in range and fine tune.

If you're new to shooting pistols, you'll probably want to check the way the gun is sighted in from time to time, since your grip and technique will likely change as you develop your shooting skills and that can affect where your gun is hitting. It's all part of the fun, though, and not something I consider a chore.

As for sight in distance, there is no standard distance, so choose the distance you will be doing most of your shooting. If you're new to pistol shooting, 50 feet is plenty to start. Move on out to 25 yards when you've developed some skill.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many Thanks for the Sighting in tips

Hi Folks,
you are all terrific. I feel so much better with all the great advise offered. I have shot pistol for some time now and a lot of 22lr with my Advantage Glock conversion. My background is in art and I wish to blend my two loves by shooting/drawing with my MKIII "Brush". I managed to score two dozen Shoot n See 18" Square Matrix Sheets and plan to do my "Drawings" on them.
All the best,
Alan

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ultradot Mounting Question

Hi Folks,
I have just mounted the Matchdot II onto my MKIII. However I'm not sure how to ensure that the scope is level since I have no way of leveling the pistol. Is this a "by eye" thing, or is there some technique that I should use. I notice that when I use my reticle that features the ring and crosshairs that the reticle is slightly canted counterclockwise but the sight housing is slightly canted clockwise. Or does any of this critical?
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated,
Alan

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
Hi Folks,
I have just mounted the Matchdot II onto my MKIII. However I'm not sure how to ensure that the scope is level since I have no way of leveling the pistol. Is this a "by eye" thing, or is there some technique that I should use. I notice that when I use my reticle that features the ring and crosshairs that the reticle is slightly canted counterclockwise but the sight housing is slightly canted clockwise. Or does any of this critical?
Alan
I don't have an MKIII so I can't comment on "adjustment" options for "level" you would have available. I doubt that you have any. ??? :confused: :confused:

However, you should have the scope "rotated" to insure that the cross hairs are "square" i.e. not canted before tightening the rings.

The timing of your question makes me smile because less than a week ago I was going through my "cleaning kit", an old tackle box, and found a small, cheap, plastic, bubble level in it. I was wondering what the heck it was doing there. Now I remember that I used it to "level" or "square" one of my scopes. :)

BTW, this "squaring" can be done by eyeballing. You don't need to use a level. But, the crosshairs should appear "square" when you look through your scope. Just loosen the rings, turn the scope till it is no longer "canted", retighten 'em up and go dial that thing in. :)

Finally, when you do square up the crosshair picture I'd recommend you forget about that feature and just use the red dot. You'll be surprised how it will help your scores.

PS I'll be looking forward to seeing one of your 18" square Shoot N See target artworks. :)

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the UltraDot. I'm looking to pick one up for myself. I have an UltraDot 30mm on my Mark III and it is a FINE optic. When I sighted in my UD, I just ran a target out to about 15 yards or so (that's as far as I'll shoot with it for plinking). I sit at a table with my gun on a rest of some sort. I put the dot (or whichever reticle you chose) on the bullseye. I then fire off 3 shots so I can get a grouping (sometimes you'll get a flyer so it's good to shoot a few). Once you see where they're hitting, you just adjust it a few clicks and shoot again. You probably already know this, but if you need to move it left, turn the knob so that you move the dot left. The same for right, up, and down. The adjustment knobs will tell you which way to turn for Left/Right and Up/Down. Shoot a few more, see where they are and just walk it in. At short distances, one click on the adjustment knobs won't amount to much. If I shoot my first group and it's 1" low and right, I'll give it a good quarter turn in the appropriate directions and see where it's going. Don't be afraid to give those things a good quarter or half turn if you need to.

Best of luck and I can't wait to see some of your "artwork". I'm a graphic designer and photographer and am always intrigued by these things.

Give a shout if you need anymore help.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Hi Folks,
Alan
As Quiet 1 said, the red dot alone is will do very well. I have one RDS, a Bushnell TRS-25 that only has a red dot, and a cheap Sightmark which has several reticle options, but I find that just the dot works best for me. Both of my RDS units use fixed mounts, so I have never had to level them like I do with a scope.

I am somewhat of a perfectionist myself and would want the crosshairs to be reasonably level or squared with the pistol and there are ways to do this, but since it is a pistol and you will probably be hand holding it and it probably won't be exactly level, it really isn't necessary.

I would do what Quiet 1 suggested and use a support on a table, and while holding the gun reasonably level, turn the UD in the rings until the cross hairs appear squared with a cross hair type of target.

Leveling a scope is most important with a rifle when you will be shooting 100 yds plus and the main reason for that is if the scope isn't level the EL adjustment will also move the point of impact in the AZ plane and vice versa.

Since there are several of us looking at that RDS you have, keep us informed of it's performance.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I have a Ultradot Matchdot II on my 10/22 and other Red Dots on other firearms. I never use a boresighter. Just shoot from a rest until you hit bull's eyes with the dot on the target. I don't know anyone who uses boresighters.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mark III Comp Slabside and MatchdotII Range Report

Hi Folks,
as requested here is my range report on my new Mark III Target Slab side and Matchdot II RDS. Sighted in at 7 yards because that is where I'll be doing a lot of my work to start with. Sighting in was a breeze. Shooting offhand was a bit different with the RDS because for the past few years I have only shot iron sights with my pistols. The dot's movement is more apparent to me and I will need to shoot a lot to get accustomed to the movement and be able to control it more. I used the cross hairs reticle because I use the cross hairs to align my current shot with other existing shots on the X or Y axis. I found that I had trouble seeing the previous Shoot n See shots with the polarizing filter even when it was cranked all the way up in brightness. The sight allowed me to be much more accurate in my shot placement and I am looking forward to putting in more practice time. When I get the money I will be investing in the Volquartsen Trigger accurizing Kit and more than likely will let Volquartsen do the installation. I took a look at their installation video and thought that it would be best if they do the work. The Matchdot II is very well made and is a pleasure to work with.
All the best,
Alan

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Thanks for the report on the Matchdot II. I will probably end up getting one of those myself.
Yes, the first time you use a RDS scope or a laser sight, it can be a bit disconcerting to see the dot dancing around. That same movement was there with the iron sights but you just couldn't see it.
I have been shooting mostly iron sights lately but today I mounted my Bushnell TRS-25 on my MK Target and at 25 yds my groups were noticeably tighter as can be expected with a RDS.

I installed the VQ trigger accurizing kit in both my MKIII Target and my MKIII 22/45 slabside. It gives a much shorter trigger pull and also a much lighter trigger. From a little over 3lbs to just at 2lbs.

Enjoy your setup and report back soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts