Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Count Ursunk
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is a sbh 5.5 44 truly on target, shooting 2 inches high at 25 yds?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I don't have one with that short of a barrel mine is 101/2 and I use a 6 o'clock hold and hitting dead center. Your sights could be set for a dea on sight picture.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yes and no. If you are going to shoot at further ranges like 50, 75, or 100 yards you may find that 2" high at 25 puts you dead on a one of the longer ranges. I personally would rather be dead on at a longer range and just hold lower when shooting close up.

You will also find that different loads will impact at different points on target. For example, contrary to popular misconception, heavier bullets will impact higher than lighter bullets because they stay in the barrel longer during recoil. Also milder loads with the same bullet weight will impact higher compared to heavier loads. Again because of time in the barrel. This is especially good to know when dealing with fixed sights.

·
Count Ursunk
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks snuffy....read somewhere that 2 inches high at 25 yds is about right for huning. i guess they are figurin a 75 yd + shot..im kinda new to revolvers. what is a six oclock hold?

·
Count Ursunk
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shdwrdr, i can tell a big difference between certain loads. seems the more you read about um, the more you get confused..this should be taught in science class at all schools. thanks.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
quote:Originally posted by mrb

thanks snuffy....read somewhere that 2 inches high at 25 yds is about right for huning. i guess they are figurin a 75 yd + shot..im kinda new to revolvers. what is a six oclock hold?
looking at your target its like a clock if you have the front sight at the bottom of the bulls eye then its a 6 o'clock hold, if you have the front sight at the top of the bulls eye then its a 12 o'clock if you have your front sight dead in the middle of the bulls eye then its dead on target.
Hope this helps.

·
Count Ursunk
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i gotcha now....i never thought of that before . ty snuffy.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
any time my friend glad to have been of help to ya.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
yep he does that is the fun part of shooting, practise does make perfect. But when horse back riding becomes a chore its no longer fun same with shooting and anything else. I for one am getting into cowboy action shooting, I am told I have the equipment to runwith the big boys. Me I enjoy gettin out meetin folks swapin a story or two and have fun shootin. If there is 50 shooters and I come in 51st place who cares I had fun. Just enjoy shooting and ya get much better as time goes on.

·
Count Ursunk
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good luck on the cowboy shootin snuffy. i have seen it on t.v. before,but cant find it anywhere now....they are amazing to watch.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Mrb, you can also change the point of impact by using heavier or lighter bullets. Generally a lighter bullet will impact lower on target than a heavier one will. Sometimes the difference is quite a bit. Have fun. Frank

·
Count Ursunk
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have noticed that also between different loads. ty Frank

1 - 13 of 13 Posts