Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my LGS Tues to drop a deposit on the AR-556, looking for some pix and info on your sights, scopes or red dots. I'm partial the Vortex SPARC II on my Rem 870 and was considering something like it for the AR. Thoughts & pix would be great Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
These are for dependent on user preference and intended use of the gun. You'll need to do some research for yourself here.

Jeff

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, sorry bout that I should've given a lil more info. The rifle will be used primarily for range fun, no hunting. I have a bedside pistol and Rem 870 Tactical for home defense so no real need for that. Shots fired out to 100yrds with an occasional trip to a 300yrd range. I've done some research with a few solid ideas, just looking to see what the masses may have to offer.

·
Registered
746 Posts
iron sights are always good for backup or for targeting short or long, good bc it doesn't disturb your peripheral vision
red dot for fast target acquisition
scope for distance

mine is a 1-6x24, kind of a compromise between the red dot and scope
its a primary arms with ACSS (advanced combat sighting system), calibrated for the 5.56 caliber.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Stangz,
When you are down on 1 or 2 power, do you get interferences from the front sight post? I was considering a very similar set up but am concerned about the front post. My application is range stuff and maybe coyotes out to 300 or so.
Leaning towards a 3x9 on top with a 45' mounted red dot for close in work. But still looking for good options. Eyes seem to get worse every day!
Thanks

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have tried them all on my stag mod2,

Here she is with a Vortex Strikefire ll, really good red dot!! I loved it, but I found out I enjoy shooting tight groups further than 50yds..

I could easily hit 100yd targets but my groups were wide and far.. But still on target..

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
Here she's wearing a Nikon P223 3x32 scope.. I liked it a lot, clear glass, compact. But it was limited since it's only a 3x fixed scope..

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
Here's my latest add, she's wearing a Nikon P223, 1.5-4.5X20 scope. I like the low power for close combat shooting (home defense) go around without bumping walls. And the higher 4.5X is good enough to consistently hit bullseye at 100yds.. Haven't pushed passed that .
A lot of 3 gun shooters use these and I feel it's the best for an AR..
Good luck.

I've spent some money figuring out what I like the best.. But I don't mind. It's part of the fun for me..

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's my latest add, she's wearing a Nikon P223, 1.5-4.5X20 scope.
I've spent some money figuring out what I like the best.. But I don't mind. It's part of the fun for me..
I get spending the money, I'm that way with my Harley, the gun thing is fairly new, I've been a shot gunner for years but just bought the new RAP and AR-556 this month.

I like that set up (P-223) a lot, what mount is that?

·
Registered
130 Posts
When I first got my AR (Head Down Provectus9) I threw on a cheap red dot to get me by (I bought it just before Christmas).

I wanted 1-? power for close in to 3-400 yard rockchucks/yote work.

Looked at Bushnell, Burris, Leupold and Nikon but none came close to the SWFA SS for features I was looking for. Great reticle (simple mil not BDC with vague MOA drops), 1-4 power (perfect for an AR), illumination if I need it and a ton of elevation available on the erector and HUD. Plus, they're built like a tank.

I've got offset, folding MBUIS on mine so I don't need to remove the scope for use.

Just got her done a couple of weeks ago and was playing around with it last Sat. Love the thing (scope and rifle).

(Ignore those black, blocks below in the pic!) :rolleyes::D

·
Registered
746 Posts
Stangz,
When you are down on 1 or 2 power, do you get interferences from the front sight post? I was considering a very similar set up but am concerned about the front post. My application is range stuff and maybe coyotes out to 300 or so.
Leaning towards a 3x9 on top with a 45' mounted red dot for close in work. But still looking for good options. Eyes seem to get worse every day!
Thanks
Doubletap, thanks for posting, nice looking rig. Any issues with seeing the front sight post at low power on that 1.5 x 4.5?
Thanks
when my scope is at 1-2x, yes, you can see the front sight
at 3x and up the front sight disappears
at 3x and close up at 10 yards, sight picture is great, i dont really need to dial it back down to 1 or 2x

1 - 16 of 16 Posts