Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if anyone noticed that I added a new icon to my signature line, but I've formally entered the "Police Club". Earlier this month, I was sworn in as a Reserve Officer in my local police department. I work with a lot of the local law enforcement agencies on dealing with mental health crises and I decided that it was time to "take the plunge" and put my butt on the line with the guys I train.

Jim

·
Registered
17,258 Posts
Jim, I'm sure you'll be a big help to the Police Reserves, and I thank you.
I imagine you'll get more scoop now on some of the people brought in for treatment from gunshot and stab wounds.
You've got a lot of irons in the fire.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I am sure you will be a big asset to them. Congratulations and thanks for serving your community in so many ways.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim, I'm sure you'll be a big help to the Police Reserves, and I thank you.
I imagine you'll get more scoop now on some of the people brought in for treatment from gunshot and stab wounds.
You've got a lot of irons in the fire.

Thanks! Technically, I am "semi-retired", but I don't seem to be able to come to grips with that. It's a family problem; my dad finally retired three years ago at the age of 75 and he's still working part-time.

Jim

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,546 Posts
Congrats and I will pray for your safety.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Great decision, Jim.
God be with you.

·
Pony Soldier
8,746 Posts
Your desire to serve is shining thru!!
Good job, and maybe another source of "stories".

Greg

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Good on ya cobber..... ;)

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the words of support and offers of prayer (do you guys know something I don't...?). It's a great way to serve my community and keeps me from sitting in my armchair getting rusty. And, of course, the opportunity to gather more stories of human disaster is there, too.

Jim

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
I don't know if anyone noticed that I added a new icon to my signature line, but I've formally entered the "Police Club". Earlier this month, I was sworn in as a Reserve Officer in my local police department. I work with a lot of the local law enforcement agencies on dealing with mental health crises and I decided that it was time to "take the plunge" and put my butt on the line with the guys I train. Jim
Jim...I did that years ago while I was a single man...it was very interesting and a lotta fun! The training has shaped how I do a lotta things in life! After I got married, and started a 2nd shift job at the same time, I gave it up...I had a whole new set of priorities!

I was a volunteer EMT on three (3) different departments over a 25 year span as well! Got a lot of action in emergency medicine doing that! Along with being a Certified Athletic Trainer (17 years high school and 4 years collegiate) and a high school biology/health/sex-ed teacher...I kept pretty busy during my single years and into my early marriage years!

Be safe!

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Thanks! Technically, I am "semi-retired", but I don't seem to be able to come to grips with that. It's a family problem; my dad finally retired three years ago at the age of 75 and he's still working part-time. Jim
What's 'retirement'...I heard about that once!

I'm officially 'retired' as an Athletic Trainer and as a high school teacher...but I recently applied to and got accepted into a training program, learning how to build double-reed, wooden, musical instruments from home...it's detailed and technical...but I can work on it in my 'spare time' (i.e., whenever I want) and if I do one per day (which is very doable) I can earn more in a single day than I ever have with my bachelor's degree with a double-major! And, I never have to 'retire'! Go figure!

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
Thanks for all the words of support and offers of prayer (do you guys know something I don't...?). It's a great way to serve my community and keeps me from sitting in my armchair getting rusty. And, of course, the opportunity to gather more stories of human disaster is there, too.

Jim
YEAH, you should get some really good Darwin Award nominee stories. ;)

Helping out local law enforcement is a good thing. God knows they need it. That could be kinda tricky though with the crap that's been going on as of late. Just be careful fella.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The concept of "volunteer police" (what I understand this to be) is a bit awkward to me.

So are you armed and have full power as a regular cop? And how long did the training take?

Apart from these questions: good luck and I hope you become an example of excellence for all those doing that task.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Congrats Jim, and prayers for your safety. You'll definitely be an asset.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The concept of "volunteer police" (what I understand this to be) is a bit awkward to me.

So are you armed and have full power as a regular cop? And how long did the training take?

Apart from these questions: good luck and I hope you become an example of excellence for all those doing that task.

The idea of volunteer or "reserve" police officers dates back to English common law, when there were no police and it was every citizen's duty to apprehend criminals and bring them to the magistrate. The practice has persisted in the U.S. (and in Northern Ireland).

I went to a police academy that covered the same material as regular police officers (it was held in the evening) and received the same training, although it took seven months instead of four. I am a sworn police officer with arrest powers, a badge and a gun. Reserve officers in my department ride with a "regular" officer, although there are a few situations where we operate independently (prisoner transport and surveillance, for example).

The tradition of citizen volunteers in public safety - police and fire departments - is still very strong in the U.S.

Jim

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
What I want to see is when some 25 year old officer with 4 years complains about "that danged Rookie"! :D

But seriously - congratulations. And in the immortal words of Sgt Phil Esterhaus* (Michael Conrad) :

" Hey, let's be careful out there. "

*Hill Street Blues for you youngun's out there.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Good for you! I'm in the hiring process for Houston PD, hopefully I get to join ya in blue!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I wish you the best of luck with your new job. Make us all proud of you..

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What I want to see is when some 25 year old officer with 4 years complains about "that danged Rookie"! :D

But seriously - congratulations. And in the immortal words of Sgt Phil Esterhaus* (Michael Conrad) :

" Hey, let's be careful out there. "

*Hill Street Blues for you youngun's out there.

I've already experienced some of the ritual "hazing" given to rookies - being sent for coffee and having to stand guard over evidence while waiting for CSI and detectives. My approach has been to do what is asked with a smile and a sense of humor; after all, I am the rookie, even if I'm old enough to be their father.

Jim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts