Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for the quietest ammo I can find for my 10/22 and soon to have silencer. It has been too long since I dealt with .22 caliber anything so I need help. I know I want ammo that is a quiet as possible and hopefully still can be a force in pest control and target shooting with accuracy.

From what I have gathered thus far is that there are 3 different groups:

High Velocity
Standard Velocity
Sub Sonic

And each of those varies in FPS. I would like your opinions as to the kind of ammo that I am looking for.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,405 Posts
Seajac, A 10/22 is probably NOT the best rifle for "quiet". That's because it is a semi-auto that operates from direct blowback (pressure from the cartridge) and also because the 10/22 has a fairly short barrel. As such, it takes pressure to operate the bolt and cycle the action and it takes about 21" of bullet travel to burn up all the powder.

The 10/22 was designed to operate with High Velocity 22 LR ammo (about 1200 fps), which is also the loudest. Standard velocity 22 LR ammo is rated about 100 fps below the speed of sound (1050~1080 fps). Most 10/22s will function with Standard Velocity ammo but it might require some break in before the action will cycle reliably. Standard Velocity is Sub-Sonic, however there are other less powerful sub-sonic cartridges that are in the "quite" category but do not develop enough pressure to operate the action.

If you had a bolt action with a 24" barrel, Standard Velocity ammo is pretty quite but in your 10/22, it will still make a significant bang. Your best bet is to use Standard Velocity .... unless you want to operate your 10/22 as a single shot ..... then you could use the "quiet rated" 22 LR or even 22 shorts.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have some CCI Quiet ammo, but it's only traveling around 770 fps. It doesn't have enough power to be lethal at any distance, but up close it will kill small pests.

If you are going to put a silencer on it, you'll want to use the Sub Sonic ammo. That travels under the speed of sound so you don't get the crack, and the silencer will absorb the sound of the "bang".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts