Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not ever shooting with a scope before..How good of a scope is Simmons 22 MAG Series Rifle Scope this is the scope that came on my .22 sporter

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
My opinion, (which means little) on having a 3x9 on a .22 Mag.......The scope will reach distances that the .22 mag won’t. I leave my 5.5x22 set at 5.5 out to 400yds on my 6.5 Creed.

In other words, you should be fine with it.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,169 Posts
Mark204, ???? What kind of answer is that? It's a 10/22, not a 6.5 Creedmoor.

For hunting and casual target practice, the experts say an experienced 22 LR shooter's scope should have about 1X per 10 yards so a 3~9x should give you a usable range of 30 to 90 yards. By adjusting the magnification to match distance, you should be able to maintain a 10 yard naked eye view. When you shoot off hand (no rest), chances are the crosshairs will dance around at magnifications higher than 4X. From a bench rest and when you get some experience under your belt, you should be able to control movement enough to use 9X. As a new shooter, use lower magnification until you can maintain good groups when shooting without a rest.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Iowegan, maybe I worded it wrong.....what I meant, (you may disagree with it) is I think a 3x9 “should “ work for him, (for plinking).......No?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,169 Posts
Mark, Yes, a 3X9 should work fine for his 10/22.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I've owned one of their 3-9x32AO ($70) scopes for five years and it's still clean and clear. Not as good as a Nikon or the new Leupold rimfire models but fine for the money, especially as a first scope. Enjoy it until you decide you need something better.

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
Until I get back into a rythem of shooting rifle optics for each session, as a habit, have been leaving my setting at 4x. Then as I settle down and able to focus on trigger position & squeeze, breathing and other variables .... then I begin to increase magnification.

When am done, I set it back to 4x before casing rifle. All calibers.

I too think the Simmons 3x9 scope is certainly fine for the 10/22. I once had a Kimber bolt 22 rifle, had a 3x9 Leoupold on it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've used a Simmons "22mag" 4x fixed power scope on my 10/22 for about 20 years. Its not fancy, but is has held up and still holds a zero.

In my humble opinion, in lower priced scopes (under $100), you tend to loose a lot in terms of quality. I generally see and hear of higher rates of failure/breakage at that price point. If that is all your budget can handle, not to worry, simply focus your efforts on a simple design for a scope and there is less that can go wrong.

However, in areas such as light transmission, and usable eye relief, you loose a lot of quality at the higher power settings in cheap variable powered scopes, and I would consider that my primary limiting factor when considering an economical scope.

For a 10/22, I'd recommend either a fixed 4x, or a simple 2-7x variable scope. A 32-33mm objective size is ideal. If you really want to step up to a 3-9, I'd highly recommend finding a store where you can look through the scope before buying so you can make you are OK with the sight picture, and allowable eye relief when on the 9x power.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since this is first time ever shooting with a scope I think im gonna use this one for awhile and then maybe up grade it...

If I do get another scope later on will I have to change rings and what the scope sits on?

·
One Star
9,631 Posts
I just put a simmons 3-9x/32mm on my Henry .22 Magnum rifle.I don't hunt just like range shooting help with these old eyes.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Actually that scope is very good for 10/22. Its even lighter than most other 3-9x including the Nikon. Won't go wrong!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Since this is first time ever shooting with a scope I think im gonna use this one for awhile and then maybe up grade it...

If I do get another scope later on will I have to change rings and what the scope sits on?
The rings should be 1" rings, and that is the "standard" size for most scopes. So unless you upgrade to a scope with a 30mm tube, the rings that come with it will fit a new scope. However, you may want to upgrade the rings when you upgrade the scope (or before). I don't have one of those scopes, but most of the scopes I bought (when starting out) that came with rings had pretty poor rings as part of the package.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,885 Posts
Alan50501,

I think you got a great "free" scope as part of that rifle package. A lot of rifle/scope package deals include a scope that's not good for much.

As said above, there are certainly better quality optics at higher prices, including Nikon, Vortex and on upward to extremely expensive optics. But I love Simmons scopes for the value they represent on a rimfire rifle.

All of my "short range" (20-75 yard) small game rifles like Marlin 60s have simple Simmons 4x scopes on them. They are light weight, unobtrusive, and let me shoot dime-sized groups at 50 yards. Good enough to shoot a rabbit in the head, which is good enough for me. I'm not interested in benchrest competitions.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
It is a good decent scope , with a 22 LR or 22 mag. it will serve you well .
Optics have improved greatly in the last 10 - 20 years , even the not high dollar scopes are now a lot better than they used to be . Better and cheaper lens are used in the lower cost models . The high dollar scopes have improved but if you are only shooting out to 100 yards you may not can see a big difference in the expensive ones .
If it came with the rifle that makes it free...and free is great .
Leave it on and shoot it...you might just love it.
The two Simmons scopes and two sets of Simmons binoculars I have all work extremely well for me and I would not hesitate to buy another .
Gary

·
Registered
33 Posts
Simmons is certainly not top of the line, but they give you good value for the money. If the scope works for its intended purpose, helps you see and hit your target, and holds zero, what more can you ask? If there is a genuine need to upgrade, such as improved light transmission, a better reticle, etc., then go ahead. But if this Simmons is doing the job, upgrading is probably just for bragging rights. A .22 sporter is just for plinking, target shooting, and small game hunting out to maybe 100 yds. It doesn't take a Nightforce scope to do that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If I were buying a scope I would pass on that one, since it was free it will do the job for a .22.
It is usually suggested to spend as much on optics as you did the gun, this is a $40.00 scope.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Simmons makes a decent scope for a decent price. I have had many on .22 LR. and even one on a 223 AR. They work well. If yours works well I would say you are good to go.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts