Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys n gals. I just bought a Ruger New Vaquero in 45 LC. I do not shoot in competitions. I just love the looks of the gun. My family likes going to the range to shoot. So i just need advice on ammo. I would like information on ammunition to shoot at the range. And ammunition to keep in the gun for home protection. Simple answers please . Im just an amateur.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
710 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum.

.45 Colt isn't a caliber I have, so can't help with specific performance and/or brands of ammo.

However, for target shooting, you'll want any of the loads out there that are "solid", like lead Round Nose or Semi-Wadcutters. There are also rounds that are marketed for Cowboy Action Shooting, which are usually a lot lower recoiling.

For home defense, you will want something that expands, like a Jacketed Hollow point or Jacketed Soft Point.

For the .45 Colt, there are a fow loads out there that are heavy hunting loads with heavy bullets (The brand Buffalo Bore comes to mind). I advise to stay away from those until you get more familiar with your Blackhawk.

Other folks with more experience with the caliber will be able to give specifics.

Enjoy your Blackhawk and your time with your family.

Aqualung

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a SW 25-5. So no Ruger loads for it. But i shoot 200 grain SWC. And accura outdoors 250 plated bullets. Both have been very accurate for me. I load them with Green dot. But if your not a reloader. The cowboy action ammo is nice for target. I bought them to start out with. Bottom of page. SD rounds i do not get into the latest wizbang ammo. Standard hollow points would be fine.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hornady critical defense, been around a long time they work. As said cowboy loads for plinking, I reload 45lc for pennies on the dollar SWC bullets over unique powder

·
Registered
89 Posts
Learn your gun. I have witnessed cowboy action shooters (cas)who can accurately deliver the entire cylinder as fast as a semi auto can put out six rounds. Keep in mind the light weight cas loads will reach a different point of impact then the full house 45 Colt round and even a different point of impact as the heavy duty loads. So practice with what you plan to carry for self defense enough to know where to aim. Enjoy shooting the rest of the ammo as the 45 Vaquero is fun.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,583 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I love shooting my Vaqueros. Ammo is expensive, so reloading makes sense in .45 Colt. You're going to need brass anyway, so factory Round Nose Flat Point (RNFP) lead bullets are a good place to start. They are available in 200gr, 230gr and 250gr weights. See what hits closest to point of aim in your gun. Cowboy Action loads are loaded to low velocity for short range competition and are very easy for anyone to handle. Standard Pressure loads include lead and jacketed bullets and are safe in any revolver. The Federal 225gr lead hollow point or Winchester 225gr Silvertip are good defense rounds in this class. The third class of factory ammo is the "hot" loads intended for modern guns from makers like Buffalo Bore, Garrett, and Double Tap. These are mostly used for hunting and bear defense. There is data in the loading manuals for a class of reloads called "Ruger Only ". These loadings exceed the power of the .44 magnum and are only for use in large framed Blackhawk and Original Vaquero revolvers. Your New Vaquero will do everything you need with the first two ammo types. Happy shooting!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I am probably just repeating what has been said already. The Vaqueros are great guns and .45 Colt does not 'need' hot or heavy loads to be a fun range gun. This may not be the best time to find them (the current run on handguns and ammo limit choices) but any of the 'Cowboy' (cast lead bullet) ammo will make you happy without beating you or the Vaquero up. There are a few 'Defense Specific' loads available, again perhaps difficult to find right now, but over its 150 year history few have found the big Colt lacking with 'ordinary' ammunition.

Bruce

·
Registered
429 Posts
I’m with Fire Escape. The .45 Colt bullet, even if not expanded, will still leave a .45 caliber hole in anything you want to shoot. Lots of folks carry 9mm or .40 S&Ws to protect themselves, including me. I would not be afraid of .45 Colt Cowboy loads to protect home and hearth. I guarantee NOBODY wants to get hit with one.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Range, fiocchi 45lccmj 255gr.

I don't shoot cowboy lead loads 'cause I don't want to deal with leading.

Home defense, I don't use single action for any type of defense so can't help there.

Short and sweet.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My New Vaquero likes American Eagle 225 grain jacketed soft points. Shoots close to point of aim with them. It cost more than cowboy loads. It's rated as recreation/training ammo.

I've never shot actual personal defense ammo in 45 colt. My non expert opinion: if I can shoot a 45 colt well it will probably be enough on 2 legged varmints. There is ammunition designed for defense for a reason but it doesn't do you any good if you don't have it, don't train with it or can't shoot it well.

Your gun will tell you what it likes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts