Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a decent supply of pistol and rifle ammo for everything I need. But, when I would ever be able to replace it is the question.

So...I have this to keep me amused. Owned it for many years. Rarely shot it. Now? Pretty happy to have it. I’ve got several pounds of Pyrodex P. Balls. Caps. But, the caps are getting extremely hard to find.

I just ordered this:

along with primer compound.

Make #11 caps out of old soda cans.

Anybody try this set up? Results?

I’m thinking it’s better than nothing.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I haven't shot a cap & ball revolver since I turned 21 and could buy a cartridge revolver. My repro import sat around a while then got traded toward my S&W 28 in the mid 70's. I hadn't missed it but if these shortages continue (and in some form they will) it might be an answer, at least if making your own caps works out reasonably well. Of course the ROA is gone from production but they might bring it back if ammo and primers stay hard to get.
It will be interesting to see how you think it works out, let us know please.

Bruce

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was just thinking about taking my Remington 1858 New Army out this weekend, before I saw this post. I bought 1000 #11 caps in 2019 and haven't even gotten through the #10 caps I bought before those.

The #11 caps need crimpes a little, but the #10 caps have to be struck twice to go off--once to seat them, and the next to set them off. I'll only try so hard to jam them on.

Anyhow, those caps, along with plenty of Pyrodex and lead balls will last through this crisis.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts