Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about the grip frames on the blackhawks. I reciently picked up a Super Blackhawk hunter with the laminated grips. Love the gun hate the feel of the grips. When comparing each half of the grip they are different, the bevels on the bottom are different, they dish in towards the grip frame and are slightly bowed at the top.
My question: Are the dimensions of the grip frames fairly constant so any well made grip will fit or is it best to have a pair custom made for your gun? When firing the grips sometimes will bite your hand. I am dumping these grips I just want to know how to proceed. The grips do not have to be perfect, but these ones are just poor.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,700 Posts
Ruger has several grip frame sizes. The BH and SBH are different. The "dipping in at the center" sounds like someone tightened the screw too tight and warped the pannels.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a picture of the grip on my revolver. Its not that the screw was too tight it looks like some one did a poor job fitting. You can't really tell form this picture, but up near the trigger the grip also bows out.

I'm not real picky I just want the grip to fit better than this

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
It's not an expensive pair of grips. If you're not happy with the fit. Take some sand paper to them and make them fit the way you want. A couple coats of Tru Oil to seal them and you will be set.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Those grips look like they were drilled off center as the gripframe is not centered on the grip. I'd talk to Ruger Service and describe the problem, offer to send them a picture and tell them about the grip biting into your hand. Looks like poor quality control. That's the worse I've seen.
Most grip makers, Like caryc, fit the grip to your frame to get it right as part of their service. There isn't a great variation between the frames within a particulat model, but enough to want a custom set done right by having them fitted.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Those are pretty bad. But if you have access to a drill press with sanding drum or an oscillating sander you can fix them just fine. You could do it by hand with a sanding block if you're patient. Take the medalion out first. When you get them how you want, simply shoot on a coat of Krylon clear finish.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The grips on my Hunter were a lot like yours. I removed the grip frame and took the medalions off the grip panels. Put the panels back on the frame and sanded until they fit perfectly, thinned them down quite a bit also. Contoured and shaped until they felt like should. Reinstalled the medalions. Finish sanded and sprayed them with thinned epoxy. Rubbed them down with 0000 steel wool. Touched up the grip frame with W/D sandpaper and green Scotchbrite. Now they fit like they should but the finish looks original. I was planning to replace the grips but not now. Love'em!!!!:)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right now I just traded a buddy for some rosewood panels as he wanted to tackle fitting the grips. Now that I have good grip fit it is a pleasure to shoot, even though my hands are small and that is a pretty large frame. Some day I might shell out some cash for some nice custom grips. But for now we're shooting.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I bought a pair of eagle gunfighter grips long before I found this forum. They are thinner and have a flat bottom. I find theses much easier to shoot than the original. I believe Cary makes similar grips that you may find a better fit for your hand. Something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I understand that Ruger outsources their SA grips. The assembler at the plant just grabs a pair out of the bin and slaps them on. I have seen the wood and fit quality run the gamut from poor to excellent.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,700 Posts
BIGBOOMER, You're about a year behind times. The Lett Company made all the wood grips and grip inserts for Ruger. They went out of business in Dec of '07. In Jan '08, Ruger started shipping SAs with black plastic grips.

If you've ever been involved with woodworking, there's wood with nice pronounced grain, some with almost no grain, and everything in between. When grips are mass produced and to keep waste to a minimum, we see the whole gambit, unlike custom grips where "pretty" really counts. The older SAs had walnut grips where you seldom saw a bad pair. When Ruger went to Rosewood, the quality (fit and finish) went down the tubes. I got a set of Rosewoods that came on a new stainless BH that have no "character", fit poorly, and aren't even smooth. Fortunately, I bought several sets of walnut grips back when you could get a near new pair for $10. Glad I did.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I haven't seen a lot of the new rosewood grips but the ones I have seen have been quite nice. I have a pair of walnut grips off of a single six that have no "character". Well, I assume they are walnut as they don't look like rosewood. Came off of a new model single six.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The beauty of lousey fit grips is that they are easily changed. Perhaps I am foolish, but so far as I am concered, factory grips are good only to sell with the gun. For serious shooters, changed the grip panels is required.

I have two sons and we all have totally different feeling about how the gun should be held. My choice is thick and fat. Just like me. Youngest son has problems with his hands so he has differnt ideas, and oldest son is obscenly normal and has completly different ideas. The only thing that we agree on is the superblackhawk grip frame is better for us.

Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
151 Posts
BIGBOOMER, You're about a year behind times. The Lett Company made all the wood grips and grip inserts for Ruger. They went out of business in Dec of '07. In Jan '08, Ruger started shipping SAs with black plastic grips.

If you've ever been involved with woodworking, there's wood with nice pronounced grain, some with almost no grain, and everything in between. When grips are mass produced and to keep waste to a minimum, we see the whole gambit, unlike custom grips where "pretty" really counts. The older SAs had walnut grips where you seldom saw a bad pair. When Ruger went to Rosewood, the quality (fit and finish) went down the tubes. I got a set of Rosewoods that came on a new stainless BH that have no "character", fit poorly, and aren't even smooth. Fortunately, I bought several sets of walnut grips back when you could get a near new pair for $10. Glad I did.
Iowegan, I agree entirely. I'm aware of the new plastic grips but didn't know Ruger made these inhouse. I have two with these grips, a 50th 357 and a New Vaquero 45. The Ruger rosewood grips, like you say, are pretty grim. Rosewood can be an extremely beautiful wood (ever look at the Brazilian rosewood back and sides of an old Martin 28 or 45 series guitar), but that kind of rosewood never found its way on Ruger grips. I don't know where the "rosewood" on Ruger grips came from, but like you say it is generally much inferior to the walnut. I have also seen some of those "rosewoods" that looked like they were shaped with an axe.

Best regards, BIGBOOMER

1 - 15 of 15 Posts