Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’d like to learn proper technique for safely shooting my single actions faster. I’ve found a few short clips around Internet, but I’m wondering if you guys can recommend any books, videos, classes, etc that I could use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Being able to shoot your single actions faster is limited by how fast you can load and unload. Most guys I hand a single action to at the range are pretty clumsy when it comes to loading and unloading, even if they are proficient with their autos and double action revolvers.
Maybe it's decades of practice, maybe it's because I'm a lefty but I can unload and reload an SA pretty fast.
There was a company that made an SA that had the loading gate on the other side, and they billed it as the world's first SA for right handed shooters.

If you mean by shooting faster, fanning and slipping the hammer, that's not the safest way to shoot a single action, and is hard on the internal parts. That was the old west version of "spray and pray".
Make each shot count when you thumb back the hammer, and get faster loading and unloading.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,560 Posts
Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS) is all about speed. Watch their videos about the different classes and techniques. Some of the lever gun shooters amaze me. They shoot light loads up close. Fast Draw competitors shoot wax bullets at plates with timers against another competitor. Theirs is a very specialized game. Watch the old videos of Bob Munden to see the master at work. I don't know if there is anyone alive today that can match his feats. He modified his own guns to withstand the punishment of his shooting. Be careful, as many have been injured trying to be " fast ". Fast draw holsters were steel lined with deflectors to angle bullets away from the shooter's legs 50 years ago. Have fun but be safe!

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,718 Posts
I am slow at everything, so slow-fire only. I don't mind learning to reload faster. My goal is to be able to move, fire, and shift targets when moving.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
709 Posts
Here are the instructions for the loading process when shooting centerfire Single Action Rugers...
  • Load one round
  • Index to next chamber
  • Try to load chamber and drop round on floor
  • Curse while letting next chamber click past where the round can fit
  • Swear
  • Index to third chamber and load round
  • Drop another round on floor
  • Over-index the 4th chamber
  • Comment using "King's English"
  • Load the 5th round
  • Be super-careful not to over index 6th chamber
  • Bend over and pick up dropped rounds...and in doing so, click the 6th chamber past index
  • (^&%^$&^&^^*(&^!!
  • Rotate cylinder to first missed chamber and index past
  • ^%&^%&$^%^%^^$&^&()()&!!!!!
  • Index to next empty chamber and load round
  • Index to next empty chamber and drop round on floor
  • Load round
  • Try to safely retrieve round on the floor since it rolled past the firing line and others are shooting
  • Retrieve round using brass-sweeping broom handle
  • Shrug at the other shooters who have stopped shooting to smirk at you
  • Rotate cylinder to last empty chamber and finally get that round in
  • Lay revolver on bench and consider it thoughtfully...You finally got the damn thing loaded, do you really want to shoot it? Because there's a whole series of similar steps to unload the fired cases out of the damn thing...
(Rimfires are similar process, but with the added bonuses of tiny cartridges and possibly more chambers...)

Aqualung

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,076 Posts
Bowsndguns, If you want a gun that shoots fast, you bought the wrong one. SAs are slow to load and unload. Taking your time aiming and firing for best accuracy is the intent. Maybe you need a hi-cap semi auto?

Aqualung, An excellent and accurate recap of SA loading!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I’m not exactly sure what your meaning is, firing faster or loading faster. In either case, I’m with Iowegan, that’s what hi-cap semi-autos are for. Single actions are to be enjoyed, like a beautiful woman, so take your time. To paraphrase Wilford Brimley, “It makes for a more harmonious outcome”. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
More or less thinking in terms of self defense. I’ve seen many posts where people discuss using SA’s for ccw and especially as a woods defense gun. I think it would be advantageous to be proficient enough to be able to draw and shoot accurately 2-3 shots on a mean critter. SA’s are certainly better for packing than heavier DA’s and better looking to boot. Most places I go I’d be comfortable with carrying just 6 shots. October- March I’ve got a Rough Rider in 22mag cross draw on my hip everyday as I run my trapline. In the event a coyote pulls out of a trap and takes off as I approach it’d be nice to learn how to safely draw and fire a shot or two before he leaves the county.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Just practice a lot at the range trying to get 2 or 3 shots off accurately. One nice thing about the single action rolling in the hand is that recoil places the gun where your hand can reach the hammer better for the next shot, and as the revolver is coming back down you can already be thumbing back the hammer so it's all the way back just as the gun is pointed back at the target.
Just try to keep your finger off the trigger until the gun is back level on target or you might send a round over the backstop !

·
Registered
424 Posts
Cowboy action shooters cock with the off hand and in pretty good hurry ! I’ve tried it just for fun and with two handed shooting you might just surprise yourself. It works !

·
Registered
317 Posts
Aqualung hit it pretty close to on the head, except I've perfected it with a lot more over-index, try to turn back, cuss, try next index, past... By the time I get it loaded the cylinder has gone around at least 6 times! Unless it's my flattop.

·
Super Moderator
21,192 Posts
I'm cheap so I would unload the S/A and practice drawing, cocking and pointing/aiming. Let the hammer down and repeat as necessary. Then load up practice shooting at moving targets. If you have back country access then your imagination can run wild.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Bowsnguns - I have found it difficult to get good answers about carrying a single action revolver. Even the shooters who like the guns don't take daily carry of them very seriously.

There is a series of videos made by Ruger that might be helpful. Some of the vids are very basic, but you can mine some good stuff out of them. The series starts with this:

There are 6 or 7 short videos in all. I will say that from my experience, reloading is the biggest drawback to daily carry of an SA. But you said you were more interested in getting off 2-3 shots, not standing off a horde of invaders. I think an SA could be perfect for that, especially with the two-handed grip and cocking the hammer with your off-hand thumb.

Edit to add: I should have said MOST of the shooters who like them don't take them seriously. There are a few who do use an SA as their daily carry. But only a few.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I've been shooting single actions almost as long as I've been shooting, but when I started checking out the cowboy action shooting vids, I picked up a trick or two, which have been very helpful. One is the two hand shooting method used in CAS. Shooting two hands and using the left hand to work the hammer allows for some very quick AND accurate shooting. Have no qualms about carrying a single action as my woods carry gun for animal protection, but, of course, bears are not shooting back at you.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,076 Posts
I was always taught to use the right tool for the right job. Although a SA revolver will work, usually there is a better choice of tools ...... in particular, concealed carry. Yes, you can conceal a SA revolver but a semi-auto would be my choice of a better tool for the job. My primary concealed carry gun is a Colt Combat Commander .... not a small gun but with a good belt mounted hip holster, it's easy to conceal yet very accessible with plenty of power. I think SA revolvers are the best tool for open carry in a western style holster when hiking in the woods ... plus they are just fun to shoot. I own a lot of Ruger SA revolvers and enjoy every one of them.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
709 Posts
I was always taught to use the right tool for the right job. Although a SA revolver will work, usually there is a better choice of tools ...... in particular, concealed carry. Yes, you can conceal a SA revolver but a semi-auto would be my choice of a better tool for the job. My primary concealed carry gun is a Colt Combat Commander .... not a small gun but with a good belt mounted hip holster, it's easy to conceal yet very accessible with plenty of power. I think SA revolvers are the best tool for open carry in a western style holster when hiking in the woods ... plus they are just fun to shoot. I own a lot of Ruger SA revolvers and enjoy every one of them.
+1

Reminds me of the time I was leaving a Lowes' and saw a woman and a clerk loading enough 12"x12" pavers into the back of a Prius to make it nearly drag its rear on the ground like a hound dog with an itchy butt...

I'm sure she got to where she was going, along with the pavers, but a pickup truck might have been more appropriate for the job.

However, in your instance with the Rough Rider and trapline situation, I'd say your best bet is to load up with snap caps and do dry-fire practice until you've got a reasonable draw (smooth, efficient and then speedy), then work on accuracy.

Aqualung

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
By “fire my single action faster” I’m assuming that you mean draw and fire as in “fast draw”. I actually do fast draw and have three guns built for fast draw but, I won’t get into that here. What I will get into is wax bullets.

I am highly against trying to learn to fast draw a single action with live ammo. That’s a good way to get yourself into a hospital. Wax bullets are an excellent way to practice drawing and firing a single action. You can see wax bullets in the picture below. There are two kinds of shell casings shown. The ones with the primer hole off set are for using a .22 cal. blank as the propellant. The holes are offset so the firing pin in a single six will hit them. Then you just push a wax bullet into the front. The other cases have been drilled out to accept a 209 shotgun shell primer. You just insert the primers by hand, they just slip nicely into the cases.

There is also a third option. Just take some regular cases and drill out the primer hole to 1/8” and press in regular pistol primers, then insert wax bullets.

Someone mentioned that fast draw holsters like fifty years ago used to have a bullet deflector at the bottom of the holster. Well, I’ve got some news, they still do. Look closely at the bottom of my Mernicle FD4 fast draw holster and you can see the deflector at the bottom just under the barrel. If your neighbors don’t mind the noise, you can also practice shooting wax in your garage. Just hang a canvas tarp in back of your target. When the wax bullet hits the tarp, it will stop it. But, don’t think wax bullets are toys. I’d hate like heck to get hit with one. They will break a clay flower pot.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts