Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308, lovely rifle, but I can't feed single rounds into the chamber.

I'm using surplus 7.62, which works fine in the metal magazine, but if I feed single rounds into the chamber (either with the magazine attached or detached) the bolt won't close. Do I have a problem with this particular rifle, or is this standard?

·
Registered
772 Posts
I believe the GSR manual says to load from the mag and not to put a round directly into the chamber. The extractor cannot not move to the side to snap over the rim of the cartridge like a 10-22. The rim needs to slide up the bolt face as the cartridge is stripped from the mag for the extractor to grip the rim. Forcing the bolt could damage the extractor.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The Ruger Mk series of bolt action rifles have a Mauser style extractor with controlled round feed.

There is a cut out for the extractor to jump the case unlike the Mauser but some times the particular ammo your using could be a problem. 7.62 NATO cases are different from a 308. Not a lot but could be enough to not allow the extractor to jump the rim.

Some surplus ammo from some manufactures differ a lot. Have you tried this with quality 308 ammo if it works there it is the case of the NATO round you are using.

I have a couple of GSR's one would not jump the case rim. It is a minor adjustment but you should send it back to the factory if it continues with good 308 cartridges.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Roadie

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
NATO or Lake City cases are thicker so internal capacity is reduced, but there should be no differences in external dimensions compared with commercial .308. I have single fed my Remington 700 .308 but have not tried it with my GSR. I think MarkB has it right as far as the Mauser type extractor not being able to slide over the rim at the last of the bolt stroke. It wants to snap over the rim as it strips the round from the magazine. With single loading, as the bolt is closed, there is no room for the extractor to move to grab the cartridge.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Page 17 of the manual states that you can load the rifle manually without the magazine in place by inserting a round in the chamber and closing the bolt on the round. The extractor is supposed to snap over the lip and the bolt should close.

I can tell you for a fact my rifle does not allow the bolt to close over a round in the chamber either (as the OP says with his).

So while the manual says it works, it doesn't in my rifle with several brands of brass including Federal, Winchester, Hornady and Lapua.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Ruger has a video where the new polymer magazine is shown in the gun being loaded by pushing a round straight down into the magazine, a solution for those guns without the clearance in the breech face to let the extractor move out enough.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the same problem with my new m77 hawkeye. I ended up calling ruger and they sent me a new extractor. After installing it ( not as easy as it looks) problem solved.I do however always try to chamber rounds from the magazine so as not to stress the extractor by making it "jump" the case lip. but its nice to know I can feed a round by dropping it in the chamber for a quick follow up shot if need be.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The extractor more than likely is a little bit to thick to clear the base of the cartridge with the extractor in the slot of the chamber. I have corrected my issue on the one rifle with a fine file and a bit of polishing but it would more than likely void the warranty.

I am not advising you do that just saying what I did. Proceed at your own risk.

I took a small amount of metal off the outside radius of the extractor at the front of the bolt. Right where the short bolt lug rotates under the extractor.

You don't want to do anything to the hook on the extractor at the bolt face this should never be modified it is fitted to engage the case rim.

Your best bet is to call Ruger they can fix it or as they did for wyo77 send you an extractor to replace yours.

Best regards,

Roadie

·
Registered
751 Posts
With my 5.56 GSR I can just lay a dummy round on top of the mag and it chambers and cycles perfectly. I'm at home so I didn't try it with any live rounds.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Ruger M77 MkII and Hawkeye actions (like that in the GSR) are Controlled Round Push Feed - NOT pure CRF's, as such, they have a beveled leading edge on the extractor that allows them to slip over a chambered round.

So the first test is to "run it hard." Try closing the bolt sharply and firmly against a chambered round. It'll naturally resist a light and easy attempt at closing on a chambered round, but if it resists snapping over the rim when you slam it home with a bit of force, you might need to alter the leading edge of your extractor.

Grab a magic marker (dykem is better if you own it), paint the leading edge of the extractor, and attempt to close on a chambered round. Check out the witness mark in the fluid/marker on the extractor. If it's in the flat, then it's acting like a blunt extractor Mauser, so it can't "drop load". If you simply adjust the bevel slightly to let the rim make contact with the bevel, it'll let you close the bolt over a round dropped in the chamber. The Bevel seen on the extractor on the right of this picture (left side of the bolt, our right as viewed).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Steel ammo in Guger Gunsite Scout

It's a little late, but I own a Ruger Gunsite Scout. And mine is the same. It won't let me feed single rounds when I use steel ammo (Tulammo 168 grain), but works fine when feeding brass (165 grain Hornady White Tail).

It's most accurate with 168 grain. I managed to shoot MOA with open sights using the cheap Tulammo. Although there may have been a bit of luck involved :)

I have on two occasions had the same problem occur when feeding steel ammo from the magazine............So now I only shoot brass. I don't want any issues when I manage get a deer in my sights.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts