Ruger Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I own a Single Seven with the 7-1/2'' barrel. Mine has been flawless. Loads and ejects perfectly. Fit and finish is real good, especially at this price point. I can't match the grouping stats that the OP is getting, but the more I shoot the better I get. I shoot mostly .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R Magnum. The .327 Fed Mags are pretty stout. Of course buying any new revolver these days is a crapshoot. However I have nothing but good things to say about Ruger's customer service. If a problem pops up they will take care of it.
I am recalling that the 7 1/2" guns were started after most of the issues had been identified. I am happy for you. I have 4 5/8 and 5.5, both with serious issues costing a bunch of gunsmith money, now fixed but no longer stock guns.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Fast Frank, gunman5646, hondo44, thanks for sharing pictures of your Single Seven's & Single Six's!!! But I must admit that hondo44's custom Single Six .327/.32, .32/20 with the Bisley hammer & extra features is my favorite. I cannot really see the advantages of 7shot vs a 6 shot design. If a Single Six .32 H&R came along well I wouldn't think twice I would buy it. BTW hondo44 you do nice work!!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I am recalling that the 7 1/2" guns were started after most of the issues had been identified. I am happy for you. I have 4 5/8 and 5.5, both with serious issues costing a bunch of gunsmith money, now fixed but no longer stock guns.
My Single Sevens are 4 5/8 and 5.5 also and have run flawlessly for several thousand rounds. I did have the base pin jump on the short one once while trying to run a 130 grn bullet a little to hard, but I quit all that nonsense.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Handsome collection. Was the .22 new as well? How does it shoot? good luck with both and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I bought a new 7 1/2" Single Seven from Bud's a few weeks ago. No base pin jump, indexes fine for loading/unloading, easy extraction, very accurate, great trigger, good finish and perfectly aligned sights out of the box. I'm having fun reloading for it with S&W Long, 32H&R and 327 mag with several bullets. Liked it enough to order a 4 3/8".

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
I bought a new 7 1/2" Single Seven from Bud's a few weeks ago. No base pin jump, indexes fine for loading/unloading, easy extraction, very accurate, great trigger, good finish and perfectly aligned sights out of the box. I'm having fun reloading for it with S&W Long, 32H&R and 327 mag with several bullets. Liked it enough to order a 4 3/8".
When you roll the cyl back against the hand the chambers index with the loading trough?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I'm glad you went ahead and satisfied your wants and weren't influenced by the "nay" sayers. I also picked up a single 7 in a 4" barrel. Same cosmetic problems that you have but makes no difference in reliability or accuracy of the firearm. Enjoy that fine firearm and "do" get into reloading. I have settled on the 100 grain plated bullet by Rainier and get them through Midway. Fine Firearm and fine caliber.

·
Registered
95 Posts
When you roll the cyl back against the hand the chambers index with the loading trough?
If I roll it back against the hand and gently hold it there, it's no quite lined up well enough to eject. If I roll it back to the hand and then let go of the cylinder, it ejects fine on all seven.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm glad you went ahead and satisfied your wants and weren't influenced by the "nay" sayers. I also picked up a single 7 in a 4" barrel. Same cosmetic problems that you have but makes no difference in reliability or accuracy of the firearm. Enjoy that fine firearm and "do" get into reloading. I have settled on the 100 grain plated bullet by Rainier and get them through Midway. Fine Firearm and fine caliber.
I have those Rainier100gr HP's. They're very accurate in mid velocity loads for me. I have some 71gr Berry's FMJ's. I had poor accuracy with them in 32 H&R cases. I figured the short bearing surface might be allowing them to "tip" before entering the throats. Tried loading some in 327 cases with 2.4gr of 231 and got good accuracy then. Also having great results with MBC 98gr wadcutters.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
If I roll it back against the hand and gently hold it there, it's no quite lined up well enough to eject. If I roll it back to the hand and then let go of the cylinder, it ejects fine on all seven.
A slight opening of the side of the loading trough with a dremel tool and grinding bit of the same diameter as the trough then a polishing bit, will quickly improve that.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've had a 7.5" Single Seven for nearly two years now. It's my EDC out here in the desert. I just love that cartridge. Hardly ever use a .22 for anything anymore. Had my Marlin .32 H&R reamed to .327 by Ranger Point Precision. Looking to get another S7 in one of the shorter barrels. Anyone out there want a nice Colt King Cobra to help finance my .32 preoccupation?

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
I purchased all three barrel lengths and like them all for different reasons. I shoot mostly 32 H&R in them, but load up 327 FEDS on occaision for yote hunting. Currently I'm trying to get a Henry carbine as a companion for them.:D
SWEET. :D

21 - 34 of 34 Posts