Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased #402817. If I’m correct, this sn indicates a magnum gun. However receiver is stamped Ruger 22 Cal Single Six. Does anyone have an explanation and is this very common?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,162 Posts
Willmar, The highest serial number for an Old Model Magnum Single-Six is 394740, so your gun was made in 1964, just after Single-Six convertibles came on the market. Ruger lumped serial numbers together for 22 LR only, 22 Mag, and 22 convertibles in this time frame. Magnum models were roll marked on the left side of the frame: RUGER SINGLE-SIX WIN. 22 RF MAG.CAL. whereas 22 LR and 22 convertibles were marked: RUGER .22 CAL. SINGLE-SIX. So ….. your Single-Six is a convertible, but not a 22 Mag or a 22 LR only.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response. Now I need to find a magnum cylinder. Any ideas on where to look?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Now I need to find a magnum cylinder. Any ideas on where to look?
They are available if you search on-line
But it may be best to contact Ruger directly, to have it properly fit to your Frame JMHO

·
Ruger Aficionado
1,101 Posts
But it may be best to contact Ruger directly, to have it properly fit to your Frame JMHO
True. Ruger will fit one if the revolver was originally a convertible.

You can find them occasionally, but they don't always fit and the prices are often high enough to warrant a sure and safe bet with the factory.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,843 Posts
As for sending it in to Ruger to replace the missing the cylinder best to call and ask and see if that's even an option. You have an old model and the OMs had the firing pin groove in the cylinder that the New Models lack. I suspect they won't fit a NM cylinder to an OM since the groove was considered part of the sequence of operation that allowed you to lower the hammer between chambers and protrude the firing pin into the groove.

The good news is the OM magnum cylinders are relatively easy to find on eBay, Gunbroker, etc. and at reasonable prices. The OM LR cylinders are a bit harder to find. Odds are pretty good you can find one and it will drop right in and time up fine but it would be a good idea to verify before firing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for your response. Now I need to find a magnum cylinder. Any ideas on where to look?
True. Ruger will fit one if the revolver was originally a convertible.

You can find them occasionally, but they don't always fit and the prices are often high enough to warrant a sure and safe bet with the factory.
As for sending it in to Ruger to replace the missing the cylinder best to call and ask and see if that's even an option. You have an old model and the OMs had the firing pin groove in the cylinder that the New Models lack. I suspect they won't fit a NM cylinder to an OM since the groove was considered part of the sequence of operation that allowed you to lower the hammer between chambers and protrude the firing pin into the groove.

The good news is the OM magnum cylinders are relatively easy to find on eBay, Gunbroker, etc. and at reasonable prices. The OM LR cylinders are a bit harder to find. Odds are pretty good you can find one and it will drop right in and time up fine but it would be a good idea to verify before firing.
I'm not sure if it was here, but when I was looking for a .22mag cylinder for my Father's 1968 SSOM, I read comments on a forum from several people who had sent their OM in to Ruger to have a mag cylinder fitted - only to have Ruger tell them that "as a safety matter" the pistol could not be returned until the owner agreed to allow Ruger to fit the NM transfer bar etc!

They comment that after being returned, the pistol operated much more "roughly" than before Ruger worked on it, and that re-installing the original parts (which Ruger DID send back with the pistol) did not cure the issue.

So I'd think long and hard before sending any OM back to Ruger for work.

I did find on-line a mag cylinder that dropped in, and timed perfectly from the start, no work required at all.

·
Ruger Aficionado
1,101 Posts
That is true. But, they don't alter the gun and will send the original parts back if you had the mind to return to original condition.

Often the need for conversion will waive the shipping fees allowing them to do other work at cost. The cylinder would likely end up being a real bargain while they do the safety conversion.

To me it's a win-win

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,162 Posts
Buying a used cylinder is a crap shoot. There are 4 primary measurements that must all be within spec or the gun won't operate,... or it won't operate safely. These are: endshake, headspace, B/C gap, and timing. Let Ruger fit a cylinder …. if they will still do it. This will save shipping costs because they will do the free transfer bar modification.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts