Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all. New member here from SE Texas. Have a little birthday money to spend and a few rolled quarters waiting for a rainy day. Turned out to be a nice day, but that will not matter a lick. :p Looking at adding a Single Six to my gun safe sooner rather than later. I know I want the convertable, adjustable sight model. FOund a store that can order them for <$325.

The question before the forum this morning is, what barrel length would you recommend for an all-purpose .22 SA? I'm tossing the coin between the 5.5 and 6.5 length. This will be used for range use, squirrel hunting, and woods loafing...but mostly range use. Longer barrel = better sight picture, little better velocity; shorter barrel = a bit easier to carry in the woods.

Having typed this, and knowing this will only occassionally get out for squirrels, etc., I'm leaning towards the 6.5 barrel.

Those of you who have one or the other (or both) which barrel length do you prefer and why? I haven't had much luck in finding stores that have both lengths to handle, so this will be a special order item and what I order, I get - no "I think I want the other barrel length instead" stuff.

Preacher_man

·
Registered
842 Posts
Many prefer the 5 1/2" and it may be a bit easier to carry but I'm pretty happy the longer barrel on my gun. For most hunting guns I like the longer barrels:)
Baker

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I dout an inch of barrel will be noticed when carrying the gun. The 6 1/2 will be fine, giving you a longer sight radius for both hunting and target shooting. The 5 1/2 is not going to be that much of a difference to be a huge issue. Either one is a good choice and I myself lean toward the 5 1/2 just because I think it looks better.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I bought an N6 because I could see the front sights better. Love to shoot it. If (er, when) I buy another one, it will be the shorter barrel. Just a matter of preference.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Follow-up

I have the 6" GP100, so I'm used to the longer tube. If I were carrying it CCW, that would be too much, but for what I do, it's great. So a long barrel doesn't worry me.

Follow up question...does anyone make holsters for the 6 1/2 barrel - IN LEFT HAND?

Preacher_man

1 - 7 of 7 Posts