Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My favorite Single Six has always been an Old Model RSS4, love the four clicks. Of the New Models though the hard to find Blackbird is my favorite. The beautifully polished finish combined with the birdshead grip makes it one spectacular Single Six.

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Those are beautiful, I will have one someday...hopefully they release them again, I can't see spending what folks ask for them.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yesterday a NIB Blackbird sold on Gun Broker for $810 which in todays market was very reasonable.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yesterday a NIB Blackbird sold on Gun Broker for $810 which in todays market was very reasonable.
I probably would have jumped on that, probably gone already. Every time I see one they are $1,350 also as JPGLSG mentioned. That's just too much.

·
One Star
9,735 Posts
A absolute beauty.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
Very nice. That type of gun touches your soul. If you do not understand go fire your striker fired polymer framed semi auto. Several of which I own and have owned in 9 40 45 etc. Glocks etc are practical but not soul stirring.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
My favorite Single Six has always been an Old Model RSS4, love the four clicks. Of the New Models though the hard to find Blackbird is my favorite. The beautifully polished finish combined with the birdshead grip makes it one spectacular Single Six.
I've always like the looks of the NM SS birdshead, both the white grip and black grip production runs. I gotta believe at some point TALO will order up another run. If they don't they're missing the opportunity to sell a bunch more guns. If and when they do the premium price will adjust back down to normal (for a while anyway.)

The nifty birdshead SS is what motivated me to make one out of an old model from the late 1950s. Fun project and not something you see everyday. I have a similar project waiting on the refinishing - New Model convertible in blue, something the factory has never done which is what attracts me to these projects to begin with.

Here's a pic of the OM birdshead.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Waveform your Old Model turned out beautifully, now that is a Ruger I'd love to own as I prefer the OMs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Waveform where did you get your grips? My OM is still torn down, getting chopped and channeled but I'd like to find some grips! Thanks sir!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Waveform where did you get your grips? My OM is still torn down, getting chopped and channeled but I'd like to find some grips! Thanks sir!
Those are a set of Ruger micarta grips. They were a standard grip that shipped on a lot of the early heavy frame Vaquero birdsheads. I had these checkered some years back. Th fit is pretty good on these - sometimes you get lucky. For best results a custom made set fitted to your frame is the way to go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I thought they were factory, but Ruger doesn't sell them separately I guess. I hope to post my OM Birdshead soon, what a saga! "Gunsmith" screw ups, endless search and wait for parts / tools, and finally having to take a deep breath and employ my WECSOGS degree to try and "fix" it....what fun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts