Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old Single Six does not perform well with CCI MaxiMag. Groups at 25 yards run over 12”. Shots along the edges of the pattern (I can’t even call it a group) show evidence of keyholing.

For comparison, here is another target showing results with Winchester Super-X .22WMR (top two groups), and CCI Standard Velocity .22LR (bottom two groups).

This phenomenon has existed across numerous lots of CCI MaxiMag over the last 20+ years. Has anyone else had issues with CCI MaxiMag?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have a SS which I purchased in 2009. I haven't had any problems accurately shooting any ammo whether 22lr (~2,000 rounds) or 22wmr (~1,000 rounds). With regard to 22wmr, I found that CCI MaxiMags were more accurate than Speer Golden Dot.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Are you shooting off hand ? If you are shooting for accuracy, I'd eliminate as much as the human error factor as possible and shoot from a rest.
Maybe your SS just doesn't like the Maxi-Mags. It doesn't look to me like they are keyholing. That last pic of the single round looks like two shots in that hole.
Check your crown to make sure it's not damaged, if those groups shot with W-W mags and CCI standard velocity .22 LR were shot rested, they aren't that great either.
At 25 yards rested, I consider anything over 3 inches not that great, with ammo my SS likes, it will group 1 1/4" .

Being that you have to clean the barrel of the SS, or any single action from the muzzle, you can damage the crown if you aren't using a brass muzzle protector on the rod. More guns have been ruined by overcleaning than if just left alone.
The cylinder will need cleaning though, or fouling will make it hard to chamber rounds or turn the cylinder.

I have the same stainless Single Six as you , made in 2007. In .22 LR, it likes CCI Mini Mags, Rem Goldens and Remington C-Bee. The only thing it doesn't shoot well with is the two types of RWS ammo I have.
With the Magnum cylinder, it does well with W-W Super-X 40 grain JHP and Federal 50 grain JHP.
I haven't tried CCI Maxi-Mags.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response. Yes all groups were shot rested, but I did have to shoot rather quickly as the range was getting close to closing time. The CCI maxi max definitely do keyhole. I have witnessed it at shorter ranges as well. I’m not sure if the bullet is a slightly different diameter than the Winchester 22WMR Super-X. I will take a much closer look at the crown to make sure that I don’t have any issues. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
... Being that you have to clean the barrel of the SS, or any single action from the muzzle, you can damage the crown if you aren't using a brass muzzle protector on the rod. More guns have been ruined by overcleaning than if just left alone.
The cylinder will need cleaning though, or fouling will make it hard to chamber rounds or turn the cylinder...
I'm going to disagree with that part. I use the Otis cable system, so I can pull a patch or brush from the cylinder end of the barrel and out the muzzle.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I use an Otis cable sometimes as well. But even with a pull through cable you have something rubbing against the last 1/4" of rifling. I use a brass bore guide on the rod so it doesn't touch the barrel near the muzzle.
My point was to stress that you don't need to clean a rimfire barrel all the time, the less the better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts