Ruger Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Are you shooting off hand ? If you are shooting for accuracy, I'd eliminate as much as the human error factor as possible and shoot from a rest.
Maybe your SS just doesn't like the Maxi-Mags. It doesn't look to me like they are keyholing. That last pic of the single round looks like two shots in that hole.
Check your crown to make sure it's not damaged, if those groups shot with W-W mags and CCI standard velocity .22 LR were shot rested, they aren't that great either.
At 25 yards rested, I consider anything over 3 inches not that great, with ammo my SS likes, it will group 1 1/4" .

Being that you have to clean the barrel of the SS, or any single action from the muzzle, you can damage the crown if you aren't using a brass muzzle protector on the rod. More guns have been ruined by overcleaning than if just left alone.
The cylinder will need cleaning though, or fouling will make it hard to chamber rounds or turn the cylinder.

I have the same stainless Single Six as you , made in 2007. In .22 LR, it likes CCI Mini Mags, Rem Goldens and Remington C-Bee. The only thing it doesn't shoot well with is the two types of RWS ammo I have.
With the Magnum cylinder, it does well with W-W Super-X 40 grain JHP and Federal 50 grain JHP.
I haven't tried CCI Maxi-Mags.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I use an Otis cable sometimes as well. But even with a pull through cable you have something rubbing against the last 1/4" of rifling. I use a brass bore guide on the rod so it doesn't touch the barrel near the muzzle.
My point was to stress that you don't need to clean a rimfire barrel all the time, the less the better.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.