Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
First time poster here. Just purchased a lot of odd/rare revolvers and could use some help. The first one is a Single Six GKNR-4F. I have read on this forum that this is a rare variant with possibly as few as 5 made? Any help with confirmation and value would be much appreciated. Thanks! John

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
That's interesting! It looks like a medium frame with a large grip frame?

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Congratulations - you have what can truly be called a rare Ruger revolver. According to the RENE Reference of Ruger Firearms there were only three of these made (p.131).

"GKNR4F = only 3 made (s/n's 268-20540, 268-20543 and 268-20549 - all three shipped 6/29/1998 to the same distributor)"

The only caveat would be the possibility that Ruger could always make more of these since they are made from current production product, but that seems unlikely. As for value that's very difficult if not impossible to say since there are only 3 of them known to exist. To the right collector it would certainly be worth quite a premium.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I see the OP's is a GKNR-4F not a 5F. Was that a typo or a different gun?

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Typo - GKNR4F is the correct number. The OPs serial number is listed as one of the three known examples.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Typo - GKNR4F is the correct number. The OPs serial number is listed as one of the three known examples.
That's awesome! I really wonder what that thing is worth? I barely recall a S&W revolver that there was 3 made sold on GB for several thousand dollars a couple of years ago.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,427 Posts
Just a little more FYI …. Ruger made special runs of several different revolvers with the shiny finish as indicated by the "G" in the catalog number. I have a 4" GP100 with the factory shiny finish …. GKGP-141. Only about 600 were made in 4" and have no additional collector value. I also have an older heavy frame 45 cal Vaquero Convertible, KBNV455X-C where only 500 were made but it does have additional collector value.

I talked to Ruger about my GKGP-141 and found out the gun was not "polished", rather there was an additive in the stainless steel that produces a shiny surface. This is evidenced by areas in the frame that are shiny but would be impossible to be accessed with a buffer.

So what you have is a normal KNR-4 only with a factory shiny finish. No doubt, this would be a very desireable gun for collectors.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Very nice Single Six. If you want a shooter Ruger made another run not too long ago. The "Paragraph" is on the underside of the barrel on the newer version. I believe they're a Model 0678 or 00678 this time. There are some on gunbroker, and CDNN Sports is closing some out at $489.

Best Regards,
ADP3

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Guys!

Thanks so much for all of the info. I do plan so sell this one along with a few other neat pieces I picked up. Have any of you had experience in the seller forum here? Thinking about posting a few.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
The classifieds are the only place where for sale/for trade/looking to buy posting is allowed. You must have 10 posts in order to have classifieds privileges. All classified ads are "read only" and interested parties can only contact you via private message. Please read the classified rules before posting an ad. Any discussion related to selling/trading/buying within the threads in other places will be deleted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks!

The classifieds are the only place where for sale/for trade/looking to buy posting is allowed. You must have 10 posts in order to have classifieds privileges. All classified ads are "read only" and interested parties can only contact you via private message. Please read the classified rules before posting an ad. Any discussion related to selling/trading/buying within the threads in other places will be deleted.
Thanks for the info!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts