Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the deal. I already own 3 Single Six revolvers in 22 LR and one has the extra 22 mag cylinder with it, but I have had the itch to acquire one in 17 HMR caliber to go with and carry with my Ruger American rifle in 17HMR
(deadly accurate rifle/round out to 150 yards btw, a crows nightmare)

I was wanting to know the thoughts, opinions and experiences of others on this forum who own and have used the single six in 17 hmr. How accurate is the 17hmr round out of the 6.5 inch revolver barrel? Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have the stainless steel model its very accurate, fun and cheap to shoot, loud report with very little kick. kind of a bear to clean buts i enjoy the cleaning about as much as the shooting.
if you find a stainless model get it from what i understand ruger made a few in stainless could be worth some $$$ some day.
good luck

·
Registered
131 Posts
My LGS had just got one (1) Single Six blued in .17HMR when I walked in. I looked at it and said "Happy Birthday to me" and went home with it. The fun was finding ammunition. I bought 1 of every brand I could find in town and shot each one at 17 yards..The best was the cheapest. Hornaday 17gr V-Max and I bought all I could find. It is a hoot to take squirrel and rabbit hunting when the range is 15 to 25 yards. Otherwise I use my .22 rifle. When you find what it likes it is a lot of fun to hunt with. Otherwise it is an expensive plinker. Enjoy your Single Six!

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Even though this one is ~4months old, I'll bite.

I have a Single Six 17HMR in stainless and a Taurus Tracker 17 also in 17HMR. Even as someone that has worked on many Taurus revolvers for customers over the years trying to get them running right, if I had to start over, I'd buy the Taurus again before I bought the Single Six again.

The Single Six is great though, but I heavily prefer the easy loading of the double action. If they make a 17HMR GP100 or SP101, I'd sell my Taurus in a heartbeat (eh, who am I kidding, I'd just keep it and buy the Ruger too!). Both are very accurate, and they don't seem to lose much stopping power, I've hit coons with it about as far as I care to shoot one off hand and it has done very well, even taken coyotes with them past 50yrds.

So the only complaint I have with the Single Six is the general complaint I have with single action rimfire revolvers - loading and unloading sucks.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
The 17hmr is more and more tempting... a nice revolver in 17 could be a lot of fun. I was intrigued with the NAA revolvers that were chambered in 17 (though no longer produce).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts