Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old model single six with magnum cylinder, 5 1/2" barrel, roll marked Ruger .22 cal. single-six, s/n 428232 that falls into serial range for magnum model 1965 production. Would this actually be a magnum model that was not marked as such? Cylinder is fluted.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Sure, that's into the range of the convertibles and they were not marked "magnum" even though they can handle the magnum ammo. Your gun is likely a convertible that has lost it's .22LR cylinder. My first Ruger came from late 1962 and it's a 5-1/2" one just like yours, with both cylinders. The magnum-marked guns had their own serial number range of 3XXXXX and were all 6-1/2" guns.

Enjoy your toy.

Welcome to our site.

:)

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,089 Posts
snowman1, From 1959 to 1969, Single-Sixes shipped as a 22 LR only or a 22 LR/22 Mag Convertible were roll marked on the left side of the frame with "RUGER .22 CAL SINGLE-SIX". Magnum Single-Sixes were roll marked "RUGER SINGLE-SIX WIN .22 RF MAG. CAL." These 22 LR only, 22 Convertibles, and 22 Mags shared the same serial number sequence (300001~824407) and are listed in Ruger's History web site as 22 Magnums. The 22 Mag Model quit shipping in 1964, highest S/N was about 394740.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Clarification, from the RENE Reference of Ruger Firearms . . .

The "magnum only" guns were made from 300000 thru 398348, from 1959 to 1964. None are known after 1964.

The convertibles from 1962 thru 1964 happened to share serial numbers in the 340259 to 380392 range. (I have 340XXX and 360XXX converts, 1962 and 1963) There are also some "LR only" guns in this range.

The "magnum only" guns were all 6-1/2" guns and as mentioned were magnum-marked on the left side of the frame, but there were also 6-1/2" guns that were NOT "magnum-only".

Thank you Ruger, for this bit of overlapping numbers and your website misinformation.

Only a factory letter can establish how these guns were shipped.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,089 Posts
Ale-8(1), By process of elimination, the OP's serial number is too high to be a Magnum model and was made after the last magnum model date in 1964. The OP's gun is a 5 1/2" and only 6 1/2" were made in the Magnum model. Also, the roll mark is not correct for a Magnum model. So .... the possibilities are a 22 LR only, or a Convertible. Because the OP has the magnum cylinder, it is most likely to be a convertible with a missing 22 LR cylinder, just as you stated above.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Awaiting OP's report back about his Ruger letter. I felt he thought he owns a $2,000 mislabeled factory snafu. On RFC, he took exception when I burst his bubble.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Ale-8(1), By process of elimination, the OP's serial number is too high to be a Magnum model and was made after the last magnum model date in 1964. The OP's gun is a 5 1/2" and only 6 1/2" were made in the Magnum model. Also, the roll mark is not correct for a Magnum model. So .... the possibilities are a 22 LR only, or a Convertible. Because the OP has the magnum cylinder, it is most likely to be a convertible with a missing 22 LR cylinder, just as you stated above.
Absolutely.

;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm resurrecting this three-year-old thread to thank everyone who contributed to it, because the information here either confirmed or added to what I had worked out about an initially confusing Single Six that came to live in my safe several weeks ago. The serial number is 373098, the barrel is 6 1/2", the word "Magnum" does not appear on the frame, and the cylinder -- thought I didn't know this at first -- is for .22 RFM, not LR.

I thought I was getting a .22 LR revolver, but after I realized it had a magnum cylinder, it was immediately obvious that I could complete the package by locating a companion LR cylinder. After confirming that the barrel had a magnum bore (it passes the 7/32 drill bit test) I went looking. Ebay had three or four, and in my enthusiastic haste I just picked one I liked; I didn't even look at any dedicated gun parts web sites. The new cylinder was a long way from being a drop-in fit, which I took to be evidence that it was an unfitted and therefore unused cylinder. With much careful stoning and frequent test-fitting, I got it to the point where it could be installed with no endshake and yet rotate freely into every firing position without friction or resistance. A range rod showed perfect bore-chamber alignment on every position.

I conclude that the revolver comprised a frame and cylinder from an original two-cylinder package and that the original LR cylinder had been lost in the long years since 1963. Now that the gun again has a proper second cylinder, I am looking forward to a range trip to see how it handles both rounds. I have other .22 revolvers, most by other makers since I emphasize guns that predate Ruger's first year of business. But this is my first .22 that will handle RFM ammo, and that will be an interesting new experience.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
unless you get amazingly lucky, without carefully buying a cylinder to match your frame's dimensions you can expect fitting to be required.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts