Ruger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The great 1967 Single Six I received from a friend last year started calling me from the safe a while back. I had shot it, and then gave it a good field cleaning then tucked it away. Then about six weeks ago I started to feel sick, first felt like a head cold, then a day later it hit the lungs. Went out and got tested, yep, COVID.
So with at least 10 days of quarantine on my hands, I opened the safe and started cleaning one by one. But the Single Six was first in line since I figured it has seen a lot of use since 1967, and I wanted to make sure that it got a good deep cleaning.
As a former mechanic, I love to take things apart and rebuild them. I figured as my second single action, I could learn to completely take it down because the Wrangler's only a year old with 150 or so rounds through it.
I mean it's basically a 148 year old design right? How hard could it be for someone with mechanical ability?

I LOVE this thing!
Took it apart and figured to spend a couple of days on it to pass the time in the garage.
A few dozen patches, a few Q-Tips soaked in Hopp's, and lots of old oil & grease removed. Pretty sure that its never been down this far. (no, it's never been back to Ruger and there's no bar in that picture)

Brown Wood Automotive exterior Font Brick

Made some plastic picks for digging into the corners, and used the aluminum cone I made on my lathe to scrape the forcing cone residue off.
Font Magenta Pattern Close-up Metal

I loved the feel and the sound of the clicks before, but a freshly cleaned single action has a crisp sound to it.

Air gun Trigger Revolver Wood Gun barrel

Put six WMR's through it, hit what I was aiming at, and then gave a quick wipe down to be tucked away again. Not bad for a 54 year old piece of metal.
Spent two leisurely days on this one, then moved on to my 1991 10/22 that needed some cleaning.
What a quarantine, guns in the garage. It wasn't bad at all except the coughing.
Almost feel back to normal now.

·
Corps Commander NGV
6,858 Posts
I have never taken my old model down, but it was in like new condition when I got it. Yours is good for another fifty years now. I am glad you are feeling better. I don't want Covid but a nice break to "work" in my shop for a week would be great.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You got a great looking Single Six there, I have a 1968 model with both cylinders that I love shooting and hearing those "clicks". I'd love to give mine a good deep cleaning like that someday. Great to hear you're handling the COVID good. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Nice work! Now you can take comfort, knowing it is clean and clear of any shaving, rust, dirt, etc. that might have been laying around in there. One of the first things I do when a new revolver comes along, is tear down the new revolver and clean it up. As you know, the part count is so low it hard to go wrong here whether OM or NM.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Very nice Ruger Single Six you have. Thanks for effort and work you put in here. Keeping the photo for reference! Appreciate the thread and information. Good use of the lathe and job on the aluminum cone. (interesting)
*I very much hope you are better and best wishes to you and yours.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The forcing cone scraper is very intriguing! How did you cut the two different cross- hatched patterns? I love it!
Well, since you asked...
That was another quarantine project, and that was somewhere around the third or fourth try. I have an old knurling tool that is fairly narrow and used that. With the aluminum being soft I couldn't apply the right pressure, so it became a time thing. Lots of oil, and back and forth with the tool during our first lockdown here. Couldn't go anywhere, might as well work in the garage.
Old school 1947 Logan Lathe, with some modern upgrades, but all manual.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts