Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

New member here. I have owned a New Model Sing Six now for a couple years. When I first got it shot fine. I did have to have the base pin replaced which Ruger did with no problems. However, now I'm having a different problem where rounds are not seating properly in the cylinder. About a year ago I made a mistake and bought three bricks of sub sonice 22lrs made by Aguila thinking they were regular .22lrs. The Single Six is the only gun I have that I can shot them out of since they won't cycle in a semi auto. I've noticed over time that rounds were becoming more difficult to seat into the cylinder. I'd have to push them in with my finger. The last time I was at the range I had to apply more pressure than even before and I tired loading a CCI .22lr that wasn't sub sonic which was even worse than the Aguilas. The CCI would only load about 3/4 of the way in. My first thought was that maybe when I'm cleaning it I was missing the grooves on the back end of the cylinder so I gave it another cleaning and got the same results. So I called Ruger and they have sent me a return label to send the gun to them so they can take a look but before I did that I wanted to see if anyone out there has had this same problem and what they might have done about it. Thanks.

KFR

·
Registered
428 Posts
Sounds to me like you have carbon or lead buildup in the chambers. Kinda like what happens when you shoot a lot of .38s in a .357. I would try soaking the cylinder in kroil overnight then give it a good scrubbing before sending it back to the ranch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tigger. Is kroil the same as something like Brite Bore or is kroil a better version of that? Also do I poor it in the bowl by itself, enough to cover the entire cylinder of do I mix it with water?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I agree with Tigger, sounds to me like carbon build up in the chambers.Try running a .22 bore snake through all the chambers in the cylinder. And subsonic .22lr is no different than any other .22lr ammo except lower velocity.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Assume you are using the brass brush as part of the cleaning process? What I've done sometimes is chuck the brush into a hand drill and then run it in and out the the chambers to quickly clean the hard stuff out of there. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I agree with the others. You will solve your problem with an aggressive cleaning of that cylinder.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
In addition to cleaning. ( I've had this problem also) I think some 22 ammo is a little fat on the rim, and it's hard to get them to seat.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Kroil is a penetrating oil you can get it in a can or as a spray. It will get under the fouling and release it. I prefer the spray, when doing a cylinder I use the condiment cups that are about the size of the cylinder and just douse the heck out of it, let it sit overnight then I use a stiff nylon or bronze brush and give it a good scrubbing. Hope it solves the problem. Works really well on copper and lead fouling also.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Gotta be dirt, OP. I mean, think about it. Your chambers are not getting smaller, and .22 ammo is not getting bigger. The only thing it can be is crud building up inside.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Gotta be dirt, OP. I mean, think about it. Your chambers are not getting smaller, and .22 ammo is not getting bigger. The only thing it can be is crud building up inside.
I have been shooting .22 revolvers for almost 50 years. I never had a chambering problem until this year. Not just with 2 of my Rugers, but a S&W K22 as well.

I spend half a day cleaning out my chambers on 3 different revolvers.....to no avail. They are sparkling clean now. Still won't chamber the Fed and Win ammo bought within the past year.

Then I went back into my safe and found 2 bricks of "old" ammo. One from about 1992 and the other from 2002. No problem chambering.

No, my chambers didn't get any smaller. But the .22 ammo being made today is junk, and yes I do believe it got bigger.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I have been shooting .22 revolvers for almost 50 years. I never had a chambering problem until this year. Not just with 2 of my Rugers, but a S&W K22 as well.

I spend half a day cleaning out my chambers on 3 different revolvers.....to no avail. They are sparkling clean now. Still won't chamber the Fed and Win ammo bought within the past year.

Then I went back into my safe and found 2 bricks of "old" ammo. One from about 1992 and the other from 2002. No problem chambering.

No, my chambers didn't get any smaller. But the .22 ammo being made today is junk, and yes I do believe it got bigger.
Exactly, 22 ammo is not what it use to be.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts

Okay, but that's different. The OP hasn't been shooting his gun for 50 years. The .22 ammo he is shooting is NOT getting bigger.

·
Registered
248 Posts
About .22 ammo getting bigger, I will add that my new bearcat shopkeeper would chamber any ammo easily except Winchester, so there is something going on with certain brands.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I havn't noticed it in my single six but both my .38 and my .454 get fouled pretty fast and I do the same as mentioned above soaking the cylinders and running the boresnake then q-tips in a drill.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Okay, but that's different. The OP hasn't been shooting his gun for 50 years. The .22 ammo he is shooting is NOT getting bigger.
True in a sense, I think what we are seeing these days is the tolerances are wider. Meaning that between brands or even in the same brand we can see slightly larger or smaller (by maybe .005-.010) so you are seeing tighter fits in some guns. I’ve had some that are very tight in my single six, mine was made in 1980 if that means anything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
OK, I typed too fast. let me clarify...

I haven't been shooting the same gun for 50 years. I just haven't had a problem in 50 years. Sometimes I shot a .22 revolver for years before I cleaned it, but that's another story.

No, his ammo isn't swelling up.

However, the junk we are getting today is inconsistent and some of it is too fat.

You used to be able to go to the store and buy ammo and it all worked. Today, some lot numbers DON't work.

My opinion is that the OP's gun isn't dirty, he just has crappy ammo.

And don't get me started on anything that says remington on the headstamp....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts