Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everybody,

I shot my new Single Six convertable fixed sight 5 1/2" barrel revolver for the first time this Sunday. When I say the first time, I mean that. I'm 34, and I haven't touched a gun since I was a kid, so don't laugh at my target!

This gun was a lot of fun to shoot. My lust for other guns drastically diminished after I saw how much fun this gun is to shoot. It's a keeper.

I shot Winchester hollow-point .22LR ammo (Looking forward to trying the magnums!).

This target was shot at for 2 15 minute intervals at 25 yards. I shoot single handed, with my left hand in my pocket. You know, the way people who don't know how to shoot shoot. I followed a tip and left an empty shell in the cylinder and gave it a spin before closing the loading gate so I would get some feedback on how steady my hand is. All in all, no massive flinching, so that's good.

Maybe when I learn about shooting proper groups and scoring them I'll post another report on this gun. I've got a lot of learning to do. Any advice on grip and stance...the basics of target shooting that anybody cares to share, I'll be grateful for. I'm enjoying all the information on this forum.

-Gary

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Gary, glad to have you. Well, I tell ya, I don't set the world on fire myself shooting one handed, and to have not shot since you was a kid, that aint bad at all! The great thing about the Single Six is that you can afford to practice because the ammo is so cheap compared to every other round, so get out there and have fun!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I've never even tried to shoot a pistol at 25 yards! But I've shot rifles at 25 yards so I know how small that target is, so with one hand in your pocket, I'd say that ain't bad at that distance.

I love my single six too. You will enjoy the magnums, try a box. They're fun.

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
Don't apologize for your groups! With my old eyes, I'd be lucky to do any better. Keep practicing - the groups will get smaller and the fun never ends!:D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the encouragement everybody! Yes, I am grateful for the low cost of .22 ammo. In the SF Bay Area, it's probably one of the lowest-cost forms of entertainment, too. I noticed another forum member talking about the accuracy of one of his guns, and he said it grouped within and inch or 2 at 25 yards !?! Are there people shooting that accurately? I would first have to lock my gun in a vice to do that.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I don't know for sure, because it's equally as foreign a concept to me as it is to you, but I would think to get a 2" group with a handgun at 25 yards you would need a scope and a bench. I might need a scope and a bench AND that vise you mentioned!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Looks to me like the overwhelming majority are 8 ring or better. Nothing to be ashamed of with that target @ 25 yards. Specially with fixed sights. Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again for the good feedback, everybody. Jimbo, that link you provided was really helpful considering I'm just getting started.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts