Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,592 Posts
The one that feels better in your hand. The one with the better trigger, better cylinder lock-up, and less end shake. The one with better fitting grips and less imperfections in the castings.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
As above, inspect both before you buy. You could make a case about QC being better or worse in general for any vintage, but my experience is that it still comes down to specific guns. I've had good and bad from both time frames.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
ngashooter gives some good advice. Does the 2014 model have wood grips? My 2015 model came with black plastic checkered grips which I had to immediately replace with wood. I had a similar decision to make when I bought mine, but in my case the 2015 model was in significantly better condition. One difference I noted was the 1980's model grip frame had more of an anodized hard finish, while the grip frame on my 2015 model was more of a painted finish. I personally liked the anodized type finish on the older revolver better. I'm not certain what year this change was made, but the older models had a painted aluminum ejector rod housing while the newer models have a blued steel housing. I prefer the blued steel housing and that is what my 2015 model has.

Pick the one you like best and I'm sure it will be fine. (y)

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,100 Posts
Lots of misconceptions about Ruger's aluminum alloy grip frames. What is "anodizing"? It is an electroplating process where a hard aluminum alloy is plated on a softer alloy but does not change the color. Why? Soft aluminum alloys cast much better but because the surface is so soft, it scratches easily and wears with use. The hard aluminum alloy plating is for wear/scratch reduction. During the anodizing process, the "white" metal can be dyed just about any color. The dye process really has nothing to do with anodizing, it's just convenient to do both at the same time. All Ruger aluminum alloy grip frames are anodized but more recent made grip frames are not dyed ... they are powder coated. The powder coating process is applied much like paint and after it cures, it is much more durable than a dye process. Like dye, powder coating can be done in virtually any color. In other words, newer grip frames are more durable than older grip frames.

wproct, Grab a magnet and test your ejector rod housing. Only early Old Models had steel housings .... all blued new models have aluminum alloy ejector rod housings .... unless they have been replaced with an aftermarket housing. The ejector rod itself is steel so don't let it fool you. All stainless steel models have stainless steel ejector rod housings. Ruger uses the same process on ejector rod housings as they do with grip frames.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Iowegan, I do not agree with you on the blued ejector rod housings. Early production Single-six revolver ejector rod housings were aluminum with black paint. Later production revolvers had blued steel housings. My 2015 manufactured Single-six has a blued steel housing and it has not been replaced. Of course stainless steel models have always had steel ejector rod housings.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,100 Posts
wproct, I have a Single-Six flatgate and an early Single-Six round gate, both are like new and were shipped with factory blued steel ejector rod housings. I also have a later made OM Single-Six Convertible and it has an aluminum alloy ejector rod housing ... dyed (anodized as you call it), not painted or powder coated. I also have about 20 other New Model Single-Sixes and a bunch of Blackhawks, all with aluminum alloy ejector rod housings.

Here's my OM flatgate Single-Six with a steel ERH:

Here's my early round gate Single-Six, also with a steel ERH:

Here's my OM 22 Super Single-Six Convertible with an aluminum EHR (dyed):

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Of the two, the 2014 model appears to have an "as new" appearance. Both are 6.5" SS Single Six Convertibles. Both are on different web sites so I can't hold either.The final cost to me after cc fee of 3% and shipping of $35 for the 2014 is $550. Again, both are in very good condition. The 2014 "appears to be unfired". I just checked and the 1988 is sold. Is this a good price for the 2014?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Iowegan, I do not currently own an old model single six and I cannot argue the fact that the original Single-six revolvers may have had a steel ejector rod housing, but I do know that if they did, then they later changed to an aluminum ejector rod housing. And, my 2015 new model Single six came with a steel ejector rod housing. How new are your new model Single six revolvers? Maybe the ones you have are the in between models?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
MarkB, I apologize as we kind of strayed from the purpose of your thread. I picked up my 2015 blued steel Ruger Super single-six convertible several months ago for $450 plus state tax and thought that I got a very good price. Mine has the 4 5/8 inch barrel which I have always liked. Manufacturer's suggested retail price for the revolver you are looking at is $629 plus taxes and can usually be bought for a little bit less. However, the $550 price that you pay will soon be forgotten as you enjoy your new to you Single-six.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
wproct, I enjoy the back and forth and all the info that comes up in these threads so no apologies are necessary. Actually, I was able to find a 1991 SS Single-Six Convertible 5.5" barrel on Gunsinternational last night or $450 + $25 ship and $35 transfer for a total of $510. The revolver is listed in 98%+ condition and I was told, when I called, that the revolver appears to be in "as new" condition. The shop also had the best photos I have seen on the various auction sites. You can view it here. I think I really made out. The shop just recently reopened so the listing is not that old.

RUGER SINGLE SIX

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Oh my, that's a great price! And stainless steel to boot. I definitely prefer stainless steel when I have the option. I just found my blued steel revolver and it was in as new condition so I jumped on it. You are going to be very happy with your purchase I am sure. Be sure and let us know when you get it and have a chance to shoot it.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hope you had a chance to view the revolver. GI has removed the listing from a site search but the link above is still working (for now).

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I picked up the Single Six on Sunday and it looks to be almost unfired. Went to the range today and, after I did a few minor adjustents to the sight, I was playing tag with a pinecone at 25 yards with the .22 Mag. I like this revolver.

·
Registered
481 Posts
MarkB, that's a nice looking single six. I'm sure you will enjoy that. Congrats on the acquisition and thank you for your service!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Picked up a set of maple grips. My wife of 49 years, Kate, passed in February. She was born in Belfast, N. Ireland, so she was as Irish as you can be. Thee grips are for her. They are nicely done and go well with the stainless steel.

P6250290.JPG
P6250291.JPG
P6250283.JPG
P6250284.JPG

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,820 Posts
Those are very nice Mark. So sorry for your loss. It’s nice to place reminders of loved ones in various places.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts