Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Did they also put out a Wrangler with a Single 6 price tag?

Reactions: jeepnut711

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought a stainless 5-1/2 convertible decades ago. I’m guessing it was early 80’s. I try to keep records of my purchases and the tag off the gun is still in the box. The price was $189. Now if you calculate the price after inflation it a different story. Today it would be around $470 which is still pretty good.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the confusion, I ran across this Ruger yellow box while searching for something else in the house, it’s a stainless single six I bought in the early 90’s I just thought it interesting it was 199.00 back then just as the price for a wrangler today is 199.00 give or take

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Got a standard Single Six convertible in the late 60s (my first ever handgun) and the price as I recall was in that ball park. Shot it and carried it to the point where most of the bluing was gone, but that gun never stopped working, never a failure to shoot. Typical Single Six.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Maybe another older shooter can help me out here, but I seem to remember seeing the Ruger Single-six revolvers for sale at the msrp of $64.25 back in the early 1960's. :)

Sounds right. Remember you could get a brand new car for $2,000 to 3,000.
Chevrolet Impala Super Sport $3,210 1965

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,181 Posts
Back in 1964, I bought this OM Single-Six for $49 at the Air Force Base Exchange in King Salmon, Alaska. It even included a box of 22 LRs and no sales tax. Too bad I didn't keep the cardboard box because today, it is worth more than a Wrangler. This unfired gun is now worth well over $500

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Iowegan i love that gun!!! All of my 3 screw single six’s are shooter grade which is tons of fun but that is very cool to have in your collection especially since you personally purchased it new yourself

·
Registered
448 Posts
I bought a stainless SS convertible many years ago and paid around $200 for it. I probably put less than a box of shells through it before I gave it to my best friend’s son at his graduation from high school. That boy is in his late thirties now and still has it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Still want to see a Wrangler/Single Six combo package. A few Single Six upgrades to the Wrangler and keep it around $400. I would think that is very possible.

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
Iowegan, I don't know how you kept yours so nice since 1964 (year I was born). My blued revolvers are already showing honest holster wear and I haven't had them that many years!!!!

Wrangler/Single Six combo package.
I would just suggest to just buy a Single Six (blued or stainless) and have a really nice .22 sixgun for the rest of your life and future generations.... No comparison when you hold a Wrangler and a Single Six in your hand.... Buy once, instead of buy twice... IMHO.

Reactions: Fafhrd and sandog

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I feel the same way, rclark. My stainless Single Six will last for several lifetimes, my grandson will be getting it eventually.
I got to handle my first Wrangler a couple weeks ago, and I was not impressed.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,679 Posts
Maybe another older shooter can help me out here, but I seem to remember seeing the Ruger Single-six revolvers for sale at the msrp of $64.25 back in the early 1960's. :)
I bought my Old Model Super Single Six Convertible
from the original owner who told me he got it at the base PX. The box still has a price label that reads $79.95. That was in 1969

·
16,181 Posts
rclark, My OM Single-Six (RSS5) has quite a history. For openers, when I went to the Base Exchange in Alaska to buy it, they had run out of stock, but a warehouse search turned one up that had been mixed in with some other brands of guns. So my gun was already 6 years old when I bought it (made in 1958, bought in 1964). My plan was to take the gun out and shoot it but the weather in Alaska didn't cooperate. The big earthquake hit Alaska just a week before I was due to rotate back to the lower 48. I placed the brand new gun (minus the cardboard box) in a box of pictures, hoping if someone opened the box, they wouldn't see the gun. In the chaos of the earthquake, my hold baggage got lost. 6 months later it showed up at my next base in Michigan. The wooden box had been opened and a few fishing reels were missing. I had forgotten about putting the gun in the picture box and assumed it had been stolen. For the next 35 years, the box of pictures followed me in several moves and never got opened. I finally retired in 1999, moved back to Iowa, and was living in an apartment until I could find a house to buy. One day I decided to weed out some of the boxes I had accumulated over the years and to my surprise, I found the Ruger Single-Six .... still in brand new condition in with pictures of Alaska.

I decided the RSS5 had earned safe queen status so I have yet to fire it. Meantime, I accumulated several other Single-Sixes .... some of which got fired a lot, some were also safe queens to include a scarce NIB 4 5/8" Liberty NM convertible, and a NIB NM Colorado Centennial (RCC), both made in 1976. Another Single-Six safe queen is my 1955 vintage Flatgate that I bought from the original owner in unfired condition. Meantime, my all time favorite shooter is a NM 5 1/2" NR-5 with a brass grip frame. I like my 6 1/2" stainless (KNR-6), and Old Model Super (SC-6), plus my 7 1/2" Colt New Frontier. Last year I added a 4 5/8" Wrangler to the mix and really enjoy shooting it too. Don't sell the Wrangler short .... it's a great gun for the price, almost as good as a Single-Six at 1/3 the cost.

·
16,181 Posts
NCG, That's a very nice specimen! I found a similar deal. The owner said his SC-6 had never been fired but when I got it home from the gun show, I found fouling at the junction of the top strap and barrel. A little white lie but It did look like new. Like you, I was itching to try it out. Mine is a convertible so I tried a few cylinders full of 22 Mags then swapped cylinders and shot up a box of 22 LRs. The gun has repeated the same drill many times since. Here's my SC-6:

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,633 Posts
Love it. Ya just can't make that stuff up.
*100% Agree. Some of these gun journeys and related stories are the best. Iowegan's OM Single Six story was a great read today considering all the mess on TV. Nothing better than a good story with good people and a SA Ruger to brighten up the day!

Reactions: wproct
1 - 20 of 27 Posts