Ruger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an om. single six today it has a .22 lr cylinder in it. When I checked the Ruger sight for the manufactured year the serial number, 473550, shows it as a 1966 .22 magnum. What should I do? Send it in to get a .22 magnum cylinder? Buy a used one? Or leave the .22lr in it?

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Usually the last three digits of the serial number were etched on the front of the cylinder. Does the number on your cylinder match the last three digits of the serial number on the gun? If so, the cylinder was likely stock, supplied from the factory.

Even if the numbers do not match, does not mean you can't use the gun as is. A lot of folks had cylinders fitted to the gun, later. If the gun shoots without any problems, I'd just keep the 22 LR cylinder and add a mag cylinder if you want mag capability.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are no numbers etched on the front of the cylinder and the center of the cylinder looks like it has been machined down.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The only single six three screw 22 "Magnum Only" made by Ruger was marked as such and only came with a 6 1/2" barrel kind of rare but I owned one once.

Rugers early serial number records are unreliable at best. Your serial number range would have been a little earlier then 66 and would have been a convertible and not a magnum only. It should have the Aluminum ejector rod housing and the XR3 Red grip frame but Rugers were assembled out of parts bins, so if some older parts were still in the bin they would be used before new ones so during the 64 to 65 period you will find many factory original variations.

You can purchase old model Magnum cylinders second hand that will drop in without fitting on ebay or gun broker.com.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ditto. I bought a "Liberty" Single Six with a 22 mag cylinder with mismatched serial number. I pointed that out to the table holder, got the pistol for a song, it shoots great.

·
Registered
776 Posts
My Single Six marked "Win. .22 MAG. CAL." made in 1961 has one unserialized fluted cylinder chambered for .22 Mag.

According to my Guide to Ruger Single Action Revolvers Production Dates 1953-1973 by John C. Douglas, these Single Sixes marked as above were produced for three years beginning in 1959 with serial number 300000 and ending in 1962 with serial number 342450. Convertables with an optional spare .22 RF cylinder begin to appear in 1960 with serial number 310035.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts