Ruger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was shooting today and the light rod came out of the front sight. Any suggestions on what to do or how to fix it.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
You can start with Ruger. That sight is made by Williams and is a Firesight. I believe the diameter of the rod is smaller than the HI-Viz sights.

I seem to remember a post where someone contacted Williams and they sent enough of the light fiber rod to make several.

PS: Did it just fall out or did it break?? I am guessing they are glued in. I have a Single Ten but haven't studied the sight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My son was shooting it and I saw something fall and found it on the ground , it still looks full length I just dont know how to re attach it. I dont really wanna put a bunch of super glue or anything in there without knowing what im doing.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I have my Single Ten out and am looking at it. It appears (but may be an optical illusion) that the light pipe ends are slightly flared as though the pipe was inserted and then some heat was applied to soften the end(s). I do not see any adhesive residue anywhere.

I would call Ruger, especially if you bought the gun new and ask them what to do. They might just send you a new front sight assembly - one screw with a little loctite. If they say they will, you could just temporarily glue the pipe in until the new sight arrives.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dave, I was looking and one end of mine looks flared . I bet the other end snapped off from the recoil or something like that. I will call Ruger in the morning.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
I have a fiber optic front sight on my CZ75 SP-01 and when putting the sight in the slide, I broke the light pipe. I ordered a couple of 12" sticks of it and using some sharp wire snips, I cut it down to a length just slightly longer than it needed to be. I then used a lighter to heat the ends and push them flush against the sight frame. Took all of 1 minute to do. I think you can just buy fiber optic rods and do it yourself very easily.

Flourescent Fiber - Archery Sights-Replacement Fiber Optics

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I put it back in and hit the middle with a lighter. That blistered the pipe just enough to keep it in, works for now.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Glad to see you got it fixed - at least temporarily. The one thing I like about the Hi-Viz front fiber optic sight is the fact that the pipes are held in with a spring clip and can be easily replaced or changed out. They also come with about 6 pipes in different colors.
I installed one of those sights on my Ruger MKIII Target before I got the Single Ten.

The first thing I noticed about the sight on the ST was that the diameter of the pipe looked smaller than the Hi-Viz so the idea of having "spare" pipes went out the window.

I just recently installed the Williams Firesights on my 22/45 so since I now have 2 of them in service, I should be on the lookout for some spare pipe of the right diameter. Maybe check out "heymatthew's" link that he just posted.

Let us know how it goes with getting a replacement. There is always someone on the forum that needs this sort of info.

·
Banned
4,289 Posts
Well, I put it back in and hit the middle with a lighter. That blistered the pipe just enough to keep it in, works for now.
I'm glad you didn't use any kind of glue. Heat, used to just slightly flair the ends, is the correct fix.

My Single Ten sights are holding up fine. So far. However, several years ago I had the same problem with the front sight fibre optic piece falling out of a set of William's Fire Sights that I had installed on a .45 semi auto.

I called Williams, spoke to a very helpful Customer Service guy who told me how to reinstall and heat the material to flair the ends. He also sent me, no charge, a 2" piece of the fibre optic material in the correct color (green) and diameter, just in case I messed up my first attempt at reinstalling the loose piece.

So, based on my experience, if you have any issues with your ST sights, call Williams Customer Service. They will take good care of you.

No, I'm not affiliated in any way with Williams. Just a satisfied customer. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts