Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Single Sixes, I love and can understand.
Single Tens and Single Nines.....
Do you think some of the old gunfighters would be rolling around in their graves, or..... do you think they would embrace the new changes.....

·
Delta2
1,588 Posts
Rolling in their graves. To me a single action revolver of any kind should carry 6 rounds. No more, no less!

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rolling in their graves. To me a single action revolver of any kind should carry 6 rounds. No more, no less!
Pretty much the same for me as well..... :D

·
Registered
725 Posts
I don't own one of the new pistols, but I think the old gunfighters would have embraced anything that gave them an edge. I wouldn't mind having a single ten. I've even thought about trading in my single six since I don't ever shoot the .22 mag.

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
I agree with West Texan.
If they could have a few extra rounds, those guys would have jumped on it.
Haven't you seen the old photos where they have pistols hung from every place they possible can?

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Tsk, tsk, James. I have a Single Ten.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I love tradition, but the 6 shooter was just another tool for survival. Just like people today what ever gave them a one up they would embrace.

Remember there wasn't any nostalgia with the 6 shooter back then because they were brand new. If a 7 shot came out at the same time I think we would be calling them seven shooters today.

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
I agree with West Texan.
If they could have a few extra rounds, those guys would have jumped on it.
Haven't you seen the old photos where they have pistols hung from every place they possible can?
This.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
If you were in a shootout in the old west, would you have wanted ten shots or would you stay with six shots out of tradition? Why do you think those old Henry's and Winchester lever rifles were so sought after? We shooter's in this modern world are the ones who value the tradition. For folks back in the old west, firepower was a matter of survival.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
I might also add that a western style 22 revolver with more than six shots is anything but new. The old High Standard Double Nine, although a double action, was made to look like a single action and it dates back to at least the 60s. H&R and S&W have been making 22 DA revolvers for years with more than six shots. Why not a true SA with more than six shots?

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
The "old gunfighters" were using mostly .45 Colts, not .22LRs. Can you imagine a ten shot .45 Colt SAA? A little bulky, huh?

And the better gunfighters only needed more than six shots when they had to shoot more than six people...............:D

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Ilike SS because of its ability to change from lr to mag I think in 1800s they would have liked the 9&10 shots. I think first revolver was 5 shot & later there was 9 shot cap n ball called Le Mat.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
In the days of the old west, new gun innovations happened almost as quickly as they do now. And those that could afford them got the latest, greatest gun they could. Imagine the old west if they'd had access to what is available now! I imagine there'd be a few Glock 18's being carried.

·
Banned
2,292 Posts
Single Sixes, I love and can understand.
Single Tens and Single Nines.....
Do you think some of the old gunfighters would be rolling around in their graves, or..... do you think they would embrace the new changes.....
Gun fighters were always after the newest fastest shooting guns like when the repeater rife came out, but think they saw small cal. guns like 22's as ladies guns back in those days, instead of cheap to shoot like we do.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
In the days of the old west, new gun innovations happened almost as quickly as they do now. And those that could afford them got the latest, greatest gun they could. Imagine the old west if they'd had access to what is available now! I imagine there'd be a few Glock 18's being carried.
Glock latest greatest:eek:

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Me, I suppose I'm just a bit of a traditionalist then.
But I agree gunfighters were always looking for an edge.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts