Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new scope for my mini from Gander Mountain. Upon purchase they were to site in the scope with their laser siting. Shot it today and boy were they off! Couldnt even get it on the paper from 50yds out. Need help/suggestions on doing it myself. If it helps, i have a Redfield Revolution 3x9x40

·
Registered
199 Posts
Here's a video to help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUV40AetF5M

The discussion of how to do what's needed on a Ruger 10/22 starts at around 2:20 and is equally valid for a Mini 14 except that, after getting on paper at 25 yds, move the target out to 100 yds. Remember that before you use this technique, you need to make sure that the scope is securely mounted and leveled on your Mini. Hope this helps.

Oh, and one piece of unsolicited advice. When you're at the range, don't be bashful about asking for help from the folks who work there, especially the guys with gray hair. Just sayin'.

·
Banned
269 Posts
I wasted good money once on a laser bore sighter. IMO they aren't accurate, and hard to use in daylight or even low light conditions.

I have two suggestions, because I own both.

Get a mechanical bore sighter from Cabelas. it comes with arbors from 17mm-50 caliber. I sighted in using this on my Center Point scope, and all I had to do was adjust two clicks to the left, and two clicks down. after my first shot on paper.

Or Get a magnetic boresighter from Bushnell. I own one also, and I sighted in a Mark II pistol with a rifle scope on it, and it was more adjustable up and down on the barrel, than the fixed mechanical bore sighter is. And it also got me close to the bulls-eye. All I had to do was adjust the scope a little to hit dead center.

If you have a high set of scope rings, 1" or higher, get the magnetic one, it works the same as the fixed arbor mechanical bore sighter. and costs significantly less.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Ok are you telling me you cannot mount a rifle scope yourself?? Cabela's can mount your scope & set it up for your eye relief etc. Also check the scope to see that the reticle isn't set crooked then bore sight your scope in free!! I have always mounted scopes on my own then also bore sighted it myself. My first shot I was on paper thn it took 10 rounds or so to dial my scope in. Assuming your rifle is. .223, I sighted mine in at 25 yards & so it's hitting roughly 1/4 inch low @ 25 yards this way when you finalize sighting in at 100 yds with the trajectory with a .223 Remington I ended up ith my gun to be roughly 2.5-3 inch's hi at 100 yards

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can definitely mount it myself but they offered a service with the purchase so i let them do it wrong. I do not own a bore sighter as this is my first rifle so i figure what the hell....

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
The new kid they just hired was probably given the job of installing and sighting in your scope.

·
Exalted One
1,738 Posts
Vever, it sucks to be you, sometimes! :eek:

You can either go through the hassle of having them do it right (time, mileage, etc.), or start out at 25 yards and work from there. Sorry you're having such a PITA with your new shooter. Growing pains, I suppose, but certainly unnecessary.

·
Registered
50 Posts
There's the two shot method if you have a ransom rest. Aim at the center of the bullseye and shoot. Reline up the gun aiming at the bullseye and secure tightly in the ransom rest. Once everything is lined up adjust the crosshairs on your scope until it matches the first bullet hole. After that re aim at the bullseye and you should be dead on.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Vever I have had guns all my life, so scope mounting has never been a big deal to me. Mount the scope yourself or straighten it out to fit your eye relief etc. then take it to Cabela's then they can bore sight it for you. Any decent gunshop or LGS's besides Gander Mountain can also bore sight you gun in. Sorry for your problems!! If bore sighted properly it should be fairly simple to get your rifle on paper. Good luck if there is any way I can help let me know!

·
Banned
269 Posts
ok

They way it looks, they even put the scope on crooked
here is a link to the boresighter(s). I would invest in one or the other. if you shop around you can find the magnetic one by bushnell fairly cheap.

Cabela's Boresighter Package : Cabela's

Amazon.com : Bushnell Magnetic Boresighter : Hunting Cleaning And Maintenance Products : Sports & Outdoors

I usually try to line up the scope against a non moving object to get the crosshairs vertically and horizontality pleasing to my eye.

but they do make scope levels and all sorts of tools to get the scope crosshairs level also. that way your scope isn't sitting sideways.

and also, it may have been sighted in for the person who did it for you, if you know what I mean. you're gonna have to adjust the scope to the way you shoot.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,198 Posts
Installing a scope is one of the most fun aspects of buying and setting up a new rifle. I'd never let some guy at the store mess with my scope and rifle. You've got to get the ring height and eye relief "just right" for you, the shooter.

I also can't abide a scope tipped one way or the other. I bought one of those leveling tools once, although have just as much success "eyeballing" it.

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
Bore sighting is out, the Mini 14 is not intended for this type of thing.

Get real close like 25 yards and put up a big target like 3 feet by 3 feet and get some type of zero. Set the scope at 3x for the close range target. Then move the target out after covering the previous bullet holes with paper/tape or whatever.

If you can't shoot at 25 and are limited to 50 go for a huge target like 5X5.

After shooting it some you will acquire more abilities than the guys in the gun store that sold the Mini 14.

Been there and done that. Have sighted in M1's and M14's without benefit of bore sighting.

Make sure everything is tight and the reticle is plumb/level.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
To the OP BassMan & RugerAR are giving you great advice & I am using the Cabela's bore sighter. Varminterror is just feeding you BS;):rolleyes:

·
Banned
513 Posts
Hey guys dont forget about the math... Most scopes, when sighting in at 100 yards, 1 click on the turrets equal one quarter inch... so 4 clicks will be 1 inch at 100 yards. If you set your target up at 50 yards one click on the turrets will equal 1/8 of an inch... so now it will take 8 clicks will equal 1inch, and so on and so forth the closer you bring in your target for sighting in.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I bought those laser cartridges ( made by Sightmark) that you turn on and slip in the chamber. One in 5.56 for my 14 and one in 7.62 x 39 for my 30. They help you to get close but you still HAVE to go to the range shoot on paper to fine tune.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I finally broke down and bought A Sitelite Mag Laser boresighter. Just used it on my mini-14. Now to see how close first shots at 50 yds are.

Chip

1 - 20 of 20 Posts