Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't put into words on how I feel about this.....

Six horses starve to death

By NANCY KIMBALLThe Daily Inter Lake

Woman faces felony charges of animal cruelty

A Columbia Falls woman was arrested Thursday in connection with the starvation deaths of at least six horses and severe malnourishment of two others.

A ninth horse is missing.

Tina Pickton, also known as Tina Houston, 32, is being held in the Flathead County Detention Center on $20,000 bail on felony charges of aggravated animal cruelty.

The horses were found Tuesday in a pasture off Bayou Road near the Presentine Bar fishing access.

A man who identified himself as a friend of the landowner from whom Pickton leased the pasture space saw the horses and called the Flathead County Sheriff’s Office. He reported one horse as dead and the rest as malnourished, Undersheriff Pete Wingert said.

When deputies arrived that day, the man told them he had found two more dead plus two live horses.

The sheriff’s office called brand inspector Tom Harmon, who met deputies at the pasture on Thursday. Harmon and a fellow brand inspector found six dead horses — a 5-year-old black mare, 2-year-old sorrel, yearling Clydesdale stud, 21-year-old sorrel gelding, and two colts born this year, a bay and a sorrel.

After talking with the landowner to learn who had leased the pasture, then talking with Pickton, they determine there was another horse missing.

Wingert said the two surviving horses were taken to LaSalle Equine Clinic for care.

Pickton insisted she had been feeding the horses, according to the investigation report.

However, the brand inspector told the Sheriff’s Office, “without question, the cause of death was starvation.”

Other factors at the pasture indicated the horses had not been fed or watered in some time. Most of the willow branches at the area had been eaten off by the horses, the report stated, and the ground at the base of the trees had been pawed as if the animals were looking for food.

Wingert said no tracks were found around the pasture to indicate hay had been brought. The only water source in the fenced pasture was a pond area that appeared to have dried up, he said, and there were no tracks in the area to indicate that someone had been there to break the ice.

A feeder and water trough were located in the pasture, he said, but they were fenced off and did not appear to have been used in a long time.

Several neighbors who were interviewed by deputies said they had seen nobody there in a long time to feed or water the horses.

Pickton is being held in lieu of bond. She is scheduled to appear March 1 in District Court.

Reporter Nancy Kimball may be reached at 758-4483 or by e-mail at [email protected]

·
Registered
714 Posts
I know how I feel about this. Pure unadulterated fury!
I have spent the vast majority of my retired life in the
care, feeding, and loving of the equine species. In fact
I have a small herd of the critters outside my window right
right now, finishing off their morning feed. Every last one
of them are rescues. If I could afford more Id have even more.

There is absolutely NO EXCUSE for this crap! I also want to
know why in the heck did those neighbors who saw this happening
not jump in earlier and either feed them and/or notify the
authorities in a timely manner.

·
Registered
333 Posts
She should be charged with 6 counts of murder with more pending! I hope she pays for it! And what the heck, useless neighbors, charge the interviewed with accomplice to murder, IDIOTS!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is one of those type of cases that will bring a host of furry out from people here where I live. Doesn't matter what walk of life your from, you don't abuse animals and get away with it.

There was a guy once who only used give away cats for training his dogs for treeing mountian lions... the public wanted to hang him, and those were only cats.

AS they say down south..... "I wouldn't want to be in her socks, or her shoes"

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Let me make a guess-she's waddlin' fat and lazy to match-never missed a snack in her life-what a sorry piece of humanity---she should be sentenced to 1000 hours per horse of community service sweeping out horse barns and feeding them-in lieu of a 5 year prison term...all she would have had to do is say "Help".....

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Two things that I can't stand is Child abuse and animal abuse. Both are dependent on us to take care of them, and if we don't I think we'll answer someday.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
TODAY if I'm the one that sees it...some things are worth going to jail for...

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

TODAY if I'm the one that sees it...some things are worth going to jail for...
Sometimes we are limited by the laws as to how much we can do though. I am familiar with a situation where 2 small girls are abused by the mother and her live-in boyfriend. The Dept. of Human Services have taken them away from her 3 times and put them in foster homes, and she supposedly gets her life straighted up and the court will return custody back to her. Then the same thing happens again.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Sometimes the law DOES limit what we can do-and some things are worth going to jail for...more than one way can and has been used to stop child abuse...and the devil is in the details....bullies don't like pain...

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
We aren't supposed to take the law into our own hands, but sometimes it is awfully hard to sit back & watch abuse & cruelty in any form. I'm hoping there is a special place in Hell for people like this!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Judge Isaac Parker

We aren't supposed to take the law into our own hands, but sometimes it is awfully hard to sit back & watch abuse & cruelty in any form. I'm hoping there is a special place in Hell for people like this!
What we need are fewer liberal judges who let violators off with a slap on the wrist. We need more like Judge Isaac Parker of Fort Smith, Arkansas. Horse steeling was a hanging offense then, so should be horse starving.

It's really our fault for letting our legislators confirm liberal judges. If you do the crime you do the time. It's not someone elses fault because you had a deprived childhood. I grew up poor but I know right and wrong. I was not as poor as many of the depression children and the Greatest Generation came out pretty well.

Contact your state and national congressmen.

National at:

www.senate.gov
www.house.gov

If you don't, you have no right to complain. Mine get tired of hearing from me.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Unfortunately, this type of animal abuse will continue and is on the increase. As more people vacate the large cities and get the "ranchettes", many will get a horse or two without fully understanding what all is involved in the time, care and maintance of a single horse over time period of several years. They don't understand how high a feed bill can get and the limits of grazing amongst other things. And then there is all the other little side concerns that pop up such as no more horse slaughter facilities, disposal of carcuses, and what to do with horses that are way past their prime for riding.

Owning and caring for a horse is a big responsibility.

Some view them as pets
Some as tools
and some as livestock.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
+1 Calvin. Child and animal abuse are to things that should not be tolerated. I'd say more, but then I'd just get even more angry about our judicial system.....

·
Count Ursunk
3,285 Posts
deputy......I fully agree.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Where abuse and cruelty are concerned, I don't think anyone should ever look the other way - regardless. Neither children, the elderly, those who are impaired in some way, wives, or animals - no one ever should have to suffer that kind of treatment. The outer wounds may heal but the inner ones remain forever.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I was raised on a dairy farm and learned from birth that live stock are your bread and butter. We had horses and they were for as well as pleasure, it was years past my child hood days that the time my dad had me ride out in the pasture to see where the cattle were I was actualy working. Sure didn't seem that, but I always had several dogs and of course the horses with me where ever I went.
deputy125 is right city folks come to the simi country never having known that the stock eat before you do. Now in my case that is a good rule as once I get full I don't want to feed no one just sorta lay around a while like an ole hound dog.
One of the thing s that I can pride myself on is when I was in the field and the tall boss as I was called I took care of my own horse, no one in white ever got near my horse. I took care of her I clean her hofve I brushed and curried her I fed her. In the summer time I was the one that hosed her down walked 45 minutes. My days were 13 to 14 hours days only got paid for 8 but any good horse man worth his salt will tell you the mount comes first else ya walk. I am not into walking.
The truly sad part is that there are many folks that would have gave of their time and money to see that the horses were taken care of. just like there are many folks out there that would do anything to have a child.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
One trait of a good man/woman is the willingness to care for the helpless...be it a horse in captivity or a wren at a bird feeder...good folks help critters....bad folks don't.....simple....

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
But I am of the mind that this person let them horse die a horrible death she she should die the same way. This just the way I feel, no one has to agree with me either.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts